mp3 sounds much less bad on ASIO

edited August 2013 in Digital
Just an observation.
Maccers tune out.
Have noticed that mp3 on WASAPI sounds woeful. On ASIO everyone's most hated audio format sounds plenty fine enough. Everything sounds better with ASIO of course, but the difference for mp3 sounds to my wax filled lugoles more marked than any other format (e.g. Flac).
Wassa da gooin on...?

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Ben come on it is much better OFF please. Digital lies.
  • Come on dinoboy, open your mind really wide....
  • I can do that but I am not deaf yet. Or brained washed by Apple or the other one, to think or hear the so called perfection of music sampled at a finite rate to produce mostly a crap copy of good music.
    Music is not a sample it is linear in amplitude and frequency, not limit by a digital designer that should stick at designing on off for light controls. And who had read somewhere that the human is only able to hear x-y with a amplitude a-f, crap. If that was so there would be only one cable, one amp, and most likely one speaker all made by BOSE.
    It is a bloody shame that the CD was invented, and allowed to rule the minds of the weak, next came the audio digital revolution, except it was a money making move to reduce quality and increase profits. see TESCO,
    And once you were in the mind of the second generation move on to MP3, and download it, see no more hardware, wow profit.
    No sorry Ben I think the whole concept of digital lies is crap, most sound shit, most have shit played on them.
    We have allowed the media kids in control to take over the world. for profit. why did we????
  • You feel strongly about this and want people to know about it.
    I sense that you feel that something has been violated and stolen away.
  • Yep truth a BIT at a time. Gone to zero.  >:)
  • That's interesting about MP3 & ASIO Ben, I must admit I don't play much with all this anymore. I wonder if it's dependent on what encoder is used when producing the file - early MP3s were horrible, but some newer ones are more than decent. Still, the very best format for internet streaming (IMO) is OGG Vorbis 192 - really good.

Col may well be right about digi music as a whole. But I can't be getting into vinyl now - so I'm going to try and make minced music sound as good as I can. I've heard both sound good to be fair, and neither was clearly superior.
  • My point wasn't an analogue v digital one. It's just I've downloaded a few mp3s lately (for my party playlist) and have been pleasantly surprised by the quality. Obviously "surprise" is based on expectation, which in this case was low.
    However for reasons that aren't important here, I changed my protocol to Wasapi and noticed how flat and splashy the same mp3s sounded. I always prefer ASIO, but the difference with regard to mp3s seems especially marked.
  • Is ASIO usually superior to WASAPI? 

As an aside, I really like WASAPI on my sushi 
    ;;)
  • Vespula vulgaris not in the Jam please.

• I thought Paul Weller was in The Jam???
  • Was Latin? 
  • Is ASIO usually superior to WASAPI? 

As an aside, I really like WASAPI on my sushi 
    ;;)
    Wasapi is my 2nd choice, but ASIO is always preferable in terms of sound quality imho. (And I'm not alone.)
    I think it makes sense in theory (to me) as well as ASIO provides the most direct route between audio file and sound card. This can mean some loss of functionality (e.g. internal volume), i don't know if this is one of the reasons that ASIO sounds the way it does, but in any event, I prefer the "better" sound.

• Was Latin? 
    No, he left for the airport about half past three!
  • What half bits, or jitters?. 
  • He looked pretty relaxed, considering
  • PACPAC
    edited August 2013
    I had a friend recently try to convince me that no-one could tell the difference between a good MP3 file and a CD/FLAC file under blind listening conditions...why?  Because as a Uni lecturuer in music studies, he's done exactly that with a class full of spotty teenagers listening to Euro-pap on all formats (doh!).

I took up the challenge.  The MP3 was spotted from the higher res files on every single occasion.  Mind you, I did stipulate that I wasn't prepared to do it using crappy pop pap, but well recorded classical and blues.  

We then compared a few well recorded LPs with some FLAC files.  there was far less of a difference but the LP won him over as having "more presence" warts and all.  That isn't always the case as LPs vary in recording quality as much as anything else.

Point is, Col has a point.  The whole thing is a marketing/brainwashing con.  It is very convenient though and has introduced kids to music who couldn't otherwise afford the higher res formats and has brought portability to the masses so I'm sure that even Col would concede that it has it's place and has done a lot of good as well as bad for the music industry (it's kept it alive!).

The shocking thing for me is that my music lecturer (former band member and studio guru) friend STILL insists that MP3/4 is as good as anyone needs...go figure. 
  • Blimey, you vinyl nuts just can't leave it can you...?
    :P
  • Leave vinyl?  naw...never.

Prehaps one day you'll understand young 'un ;)   :D

M pee 3 is fine for manufactured band pop but not for much else.  Spawn of the Devil so it is I tell ye :-L
  • I'll stick to lossless digital, of course ;-)
  • For goodness sake this is a thread about ASIO. This in not the thread you lot are looking for....