RFC Mansions Bake Off

Comments

• James, I could say I'm looking forward to plugging you in, but I fear that it sends the wrong message... :-\"
  • PACPAC
    edited July 2013
    Hi Paul. Do you still have room at the Inn? I need to check my diary but I would be interested in coming along if there's space.
    Might be tight but depends who all confirms James. I can comfortably seat 5 people, 6 at a push. Any more is pushing it a bit.  I think we have Dave, Alan, Doc, Sovereign, Figlet and Col's a maybe, so lets stick you down as a maybe and if one of the others drops out, you have the space!  I can always arrange another bake off date.  Talking of bake-offs, it lends a whole new meaning to the hifi bake off as you could ALL bake something yummy and bring it with you for a taste test. :-&  If the weather's good, the BBQ will be rolled out. 
  • edited July 2013
    Veggie chilli here. Strictly not a "bake"'as such, but we could reheat it in the oven...
  • I could try my flapjack surprise...
  • I hate to think what that is...
  • @Brumjam, I have to admit at this point that my attendance is looking fairly shaky, as the whole of September is quite a lot busier than I envisaged. Spending part of a precious weekend away may not be the best thing to do, family-wise. I should know in a few weeks.
  • I've secured a few toys for the day in the form of the superb new Jolida FXII DAC and one of their top integrated Valve amplifiers.  
  • Ooooo...
  • What he said.
  • Akchewally...for fun, I've decided to use the modest little Jolida JD302 EL34 integrated just to see the reaction that a well designed, well built little valve amp can bring.  It's a stunner.  The FXII Tube DAC is confirmed.  It's also a stunner  ;)

Just to see what your amps (and my own EAR 869) will be up against, you can check out the details of the Jolida components HERE
  • Valves... Valves... The nasty man said valves, mummy  X_X
  • It's a 12 valve system...revs higher and goes faster than an 8 valve system  :-))
  • How many turbos?
  • it's a normally aspirated system Dave now that I've sold the AG1500 turbo charger.  Picks up well, plenty of power and consumption isn't too bad.  Handling's a little ponderous with the speakers (80Kg each) but loads of grunt.
  • I guess the suspension must be lowered with all that mass.
  • No suspension...'ard as nails.  What are we discussing again?  8-}
  • The 3rd Lions test.
  • Now, I was surprised to see Parling selected. He offers something at the line out, but hits rucks like a girl.
    Thoughts...?
  • Now, I was surprised to see Parling selected. He offers something at the line out, but hits rucks like a girl.
    Thoughts...?
    Nice mane, though.
  • Brown..., stick it.
  • Whoop whoop!
    Is it but 2 week away...?
  • Looking forward to it.  Is everyone still on?  If those needing directions drop me a line I'll provide them.  I have a Jolida JD502crc integrated valve amp being made available for the day and a set of the Reference Venus IC's to play with.  Speakers have had a final tweak with new ports now installed adding some extra speed and wallop (previous versions used in development were a little too long).

Two weeks today folks!
  • I'll be bringing the Green Goddess, in all her green beauty.

Are we playing digital as well as vinyl Paul? If so, I'll bring along some of what passes for music around here :-)
  • Digital is fine David.  Mind you, don't expect Apple notepad remote controlled streaming or any of that milarky, just a plain old fashioned CDP.   No rules on what music plays with the possible exception of thrash metal... that just might get slung  ;)
  • edited August 2013
    Christ! I'll have to dig out some CDs.

i don't have too much thrash metal, but I'm sure I have something that's just as bad. Now, where did I put it? :-)
  • I'll bring my poorly Claymore and my Dad's NVA AP10P as a small amp offering. (My other amps are all hardwired into a 4 way plug for the AG1500, so would be a real arse to bring.)
  • It is still good for me, I'll have some spare seats if anyone wants to car share.
  • Chaps, I can't honestly see how I'm going to make this one. I hope you all have a great time, and I expect a proper write up as to how Paul's speakers sound, and the EAR, if he still has it. Go on, the Jolidas as well, Paul seems quite taken by them.

I would have loved to come, but I did think weekends might be a bit of a stretch from this end.
  • Paul, what time's ko...?
  • Sov, thanks for the offer. I'm only just up the road in gloucester, so will be making my own way. See you there. :-)
  • KO, not too early, please. 

I'm at a conference all day Friday and may not get home that early.
  • Yep, I'm still good to go, and bringing at least the EAR 509s.
    Alan, you will be missed.

Paul, please PM me your address and I'll prepare the SatNav.

Really looking forward to it guys.
  • I forgot to say, I'll probably also bring one of my home made PC transports in case we feel like some non-CD digital...
  • Ugly, are you coming from Hastings?

Paul can you PM me your details. Cheers
  • I'm coming from Worthing.
  • I forgot to say, I'll probably also bring one of my home made PC transports in case we feel like some non-CD digital...
    So I can bring a USB drive and plug in presumably?
  • Yep, I'm still good to go, and bringing at least the EAR 509s.
    Alan, you will be missed.

Paul, please PM me your address and I'll prepare the SatNav.

Really looking forward to it guys.
    Now, those, I do want to hear!
  • `Hi guys

kick-off's at a time to suit you.  If I said around 10:30am would that be too early?  Lunch will be the BBQ if weather good or sausages and buns indoors if not!  Need to have the house returned to my good lady wife around 4pm if possible.  I'll PM those needing satnav details this evening.

I still have the EAR (fettled) and the speakers have been fettled a lot since Ben's last visit and sounding pretty good to my ears 
    :D

I'll also have a Jolida JD502 valve amp to play with.

Sources will include my Droplet CDP, a Garrard 401 and a Gyro SE and I will of course have the gambit of RFC cables hooked up, including a demo set of the Venus cables.
  • I'm happy with any start time. :-)
    10.30 seems reasonable if we're being shut down at 4.
  • I can make it earlier if you like...just a long way to come for some but I guess folk are free to join in any time.  OK, lets extend it...from 9:45 onwards?  Got to call a close at 4pm to get our little lad fed and bathed. 
  • Paul, I agree, some folks are coming a long way. I'm happy to be patient. (I could always roll up early for a preparatory tea I suppose.)
  • Come up as soon as you're ready and I'll have "your" speakers warmed up for you ben  ;)
  • I'll bring the MDAC, if it's ok and there is time I would love to compare it with the Jolid DAC
    Your three hours away so I'll leave about 7:30 ish
  • I've just sold my last Jolida DAC...waiting for the all new Tube DAC FXIII stock to arrive.  I'll see what I can do but may only have the one amp available for the day James.
  • It looks like a 3 hour journey for me, too. To be realistic, I can't see me leaving at anything like 7:30.

You may have to start without me.
    So I can bring a USB drive and plug in presumably?
    Yep, sure can.
  • It's about 2.5 hours for me. I don't mind leaving early and turning up at 9:45 to partake in some tea with you and Ben ...
  • So, we can see already who are the truly committed attendees.