Royd Doublets - Worth buying?

edited September 2013 in Loudspeakers
I may have an opportunity to get a pair of Royd Doublets (if the seller is sensible about the price) and was wondering if they were considered a good speaker. I currently have the Minstrels. Would the Doublet be a worthwhile improvement over the Minstrels? I intend to drive them using NVA A40 MK2 mono blocs but am concerned they may be underpowered for the Doublet based on their spec.

Recommend Amplifier Power     50 to 150 Watts
Sensitivity     89 dB 1 watt @ 1 metre
Power Handling     200 watts
Nominal Impedance     6 ohms

Also, did the drivers have rubber or foam surrounds and how durable are they?

What would a fair price be for a good condition Doublets finished in Mahogany? The seller is asking €490 which I think is too high.

Any opinions appreciated.

Comments

• Hi G_D

That does seem a lot for Doublets, but maybe they're rare where you are?

I have read people preferring Doublets and others preferring Minstrels. My guess is (I never owned Doublets)  the Minstrels are more lively - partly because they're easier to drive and partly the raucous tweeter. I imagine the Doublet is more refined, grown up.

I would agree that the A40s won't make the Doublets sing properly although they will drive them OK. Doublet's are 2.5 way speakers, so need a little welly behind them.

• Yeah, I think that's probably about right.

Unless someone knows better...
  • OK. Thanks for the comments. I think I'll pass then, especially as the A40s I'm intending to get won't be able to drive them to their potential. Not to mention the optimistic €490 the seller is asking for them.
  • Very very very optimistic! I wouldn't pay more than £250 and that is pushing it.
  • Hey G_D,

I set up a system for my folks with Audiovector Si3 speakers (91db) with A40mk1 for the tweaters and A60 for the mid/bass drivers.
    After the A60s blew 2 days in :( I ended up driving them with just the A40s. They sounded fine, but not brilliant. If you open up an A40 the transformers are frankly tiny (50va I think - they are in Greece so can't check). I think I have read that they were originally intended for bi-amping tweeters.
  • I think I have read that they were originally intended for bi-amping tweeters.
    Now that you come to mention it, I think I've heard that as well.
  • I'm not here to cause bother, but i had an ap10p connected up to a pair of jpws this evening. Regardless of the minuscule proportions of whatever transformer is in the ap10p (smaller than an a40?) it sounded chunky "enough"* through the jpw.
    It wasn't just the tweeters that were leaping about.

* wtf do i mean by that?
  • Different speakers, old chap :-*
  • Different speakers, old chap :-*
    Agreed.
  • Ben, there's no doubt the AP10 or A40s (which I suspect have either the same or similar sized transformers) can drive most relatively sensitive speakers. It's like Alan originally said, they will work ok but not sing.
    There was a clear difference when I had the A60s in with the A40s in my folk's system compared to just the A40s, all in the bass area. While with just the A40s the sound was fine and perfectly enjoyable, it wasn't doing any kind of justice to what the speakers were capable of. The bass was uncontrolled and made the overall sound a little messy.
  • Sure. I agree.
    I suppose we're just wrestling with ways of expressing degrees of difference, which we agree is somewhere between non existent and total, depending partly on which NVAs are being compared and partly on speaker choice.
    Would be interesting* to compare Dave's old TDS with the more modern statement range. Or any of the old NVA stuff with the new.

*Well, a bit.
  • edited September 2013
    Totally agree Ben.
    Would be interesting* to compare Dave's old TDS with the more modern statement range. Or any of the old NVA stuff with the new.

*Well, a bit.

I have just posted the exact same thing in another thread :)
  • Sure. I agree.
    I suppose we're just wrestling with ways of expressing degrees of difference, which we agree is somewhere between non existent and total, depending partly on which NVAs are being compared and partly on speaker choice.

*Well, a bit.
    I never took my TSS over to Daves, but his mk1 TDS were streets ahead of it IMO. The original TDS was unique, a no compromise design with top quality components and overkill specs.

Likewise, I did get to compare my old aluminium chassis AP20 to my mate's newer, acrylic AP30. The AP30 should have been much better, but it wasn't (except for maybe a touch more control at higher volume). My AP20 played more delicately and sounded quicker. It was a special little amp, that one.
  • Sure. I agree.

*Well, a bit.
    I never took my TSS over to Daves, but his mk1 TDS were streets ahead of it IMO. The original TDS was unique, a no compromise design with top quality components and overkill specs.

Likewise, I did get to compare my old aluminium chassis AP20 to my mate's newer, acrylic AP30. The AP30 should have been much better, but it wasn't (except for maybe a touch more control at higher volume). My AP20 played more delicately and sounded quicker. It was a special little amp, that one.
    Very interesting Mr. Brown.
    Very interesting indeed.
  • Likewise, I did get to compare my old aluminium chassis AP20 to my mate's newer, acrylic AP30. The AP30 should have been much better, but it wasn't (except for maybe a touch more control at higher volume). My AP20 played more delicately and sounded quicker. It was a special little amp, that one.
    I still have one, but with a dicky selector switch that I must sort out sometime.
  • Hey G_D,

I set up a system for my folks with Audiovector Si3 speakers (91db) with A40mk1 for the tweaters and A60 for the mid/bass drivers.
    After the A60s blew 2 days in :( I ended up driving them with just the A40s. They sounded fine, but not brilliant. If you open up an A40 the transformers are frankly tiny (50va I think - they are in Greece so can't check). I think I have read that they were originally intended for bi-amping tweeters.
    Ah, now that has me wondering if I'm going to be happy with the A40s. I would most likely upgrade to the A80s at some point in the future but budget restraints is what is making me consider the A40s in the meantime. Would there be a better option for the cost of a set of the A40s that has more power but is just as musical and open?
    There was a clear difference when I had the A60s in with the A40s in my folk's system compared to just the A40s, all in the bass area. While with just the A40s the sound was fine and perfectly enjoyable, it wasn't doing any kind of justice to what the speakers were capable of. The bass was uncontrolled and made the overall sound a little messy.
    The slightly uncontrolled rounded bass I have with my current amp is what's making me want to change, if the A40s are not going to be an improvement then I need to rethink my options.
  • Seriously, if you use efficient speakers then the A40s will be fine. I prefer a pair of them to a single A60.

Minstrels are perfect.
  • Where are you based and how soon are you looking to sort some amps out?
  • I'm in Portugal and was thinking of getting something in the next 4-5 weeks. Waiting on hearing if I will be moving to the US in which case I would need 110V versions of the amps. If I am moving, it makes buying second hand difficult due to the voltage issue. Second hand NVA's seem to be pretty rare anyway so I may be forced to buy new whether I stay or not.
  • Then my suggestion is to just try the A40s and take advantage of the NVA 30 day trial.
    Worst case you will have wasted some money on postage.

I was going to offer to lend you a pair of A60s if you were more local (and after I've found time to fix them)