Latest iTunes has eaten my M2Tech Driver

edited September 2013 in Digital
Or at least, that's how it looks. My M2Tech driver has disappeared from System Preferences.

I've done all the Terminal stuff to uninstall the driver and then reinstalled - three times - and still no driver.

At the moment, all I can think of is to reinstall the OS and start again, not installing the latest iTunes.

GRRRRR!!!!

Comments

• It does seem like a problem lots of people have.
    On other forums from Audio to Computer forums, Alan also had I think this same problem also.
    Plenty of Bill Gate alternatives but not many Apple versions. search on www.dogpile.com 
  • Tsk tsk tsk.
    All the best with the retrieval Dave.
  • It doesn't seem to be iTunes. I'm having the same problem with my MacBook Air, which doesn't have the iTunes update.
  • Just put back the White MacBook and rebooted it.

The driver has reappeared.

Chalk it up to another instance of M2Tech driver wobbles.

I'll probably be OK for a few months now...
  • edited September 2013
    It does happen more often than I'd like, but never after a software update for me. Usually when something gets interrupted, like changing input on the DAC while it's playing, unplugging the USB lead when it's on USB input, or once a power cut did it. It's infuriating that the re-installation of drivers never sorts it first time. Or the third.

Oddly, the most reliable way to fix it (for me) indicated the problem is with the firmware in the DAC, not the software driver on the computer. This seems to be substantiated by the driver re-installation procedure not working properly.

I take the Young out of the system, power it down completely, unplug it and hold the power button for a few seconds. Then leave it to rest, while you go off to sulk for a few minutes (or is that just me?).

I plug it into my Windoze laptop, which has Young drivers installed - it won't play above 24/96 on this either, further indicating the DAC firmware is the issue. The laptop is also switched off. Power up the DAC first, then power up the laptop and wait for startup to complete. I find that given a few minutes, the Young comes back to me.

All this suggests to me that the firmware in the Young which talks to the driver in the computer goes a bit flaky, and can be repaired/reset by the host computer during the startup process. I haven't tested this theory using a MAC startup yet as I usually forget, and it's a faff.

Temperamental Italian indeed, but I wouldn't ave it any other way.
  • Effectively rebooting the Young is a pretty consistent thread amongst the reports by disgruntled Young owners I've read. Colin suggested that it was the USB controller chip that's causing the problem.

As it happens, when I took the white MacBook out of the system, I switched off the Young and unplugged the USB cable, so that may explain it. Trouble is, there were switching off and unplugging before the driver went loopy.

Nothing quite adds up at this end.
  • edited September 2013
    "Nothing quite adds up at this end." 

In true digital form, missing all the important micro detail that is in the analog world we live in.