The Green Goddess has had her implants

edited September 2013 in Amplifiers
The Green Goddess' Daddy and Mummy came over today and her Daddy gave her her implants. That's four nice big capacitors to you and me.

Comments

• And.........
  • She's recovering nicely.

Stitches out in a few days.
  • Seriously, she now has a better bottom.
  • Flab removed, plastic surgery is wonderful.
  • I am most interested in this Dave - I'd love to come and listen soon (but fear being paralysed by feelings that Blob is inadequate!)
  • That's cool. She probably needs a bit of time before the implants are settled in, but next week sometime, perhaps.

I thought you were already planning Son of Blob?
  • I hope so, I don't really know what the state of play is.

I have time on my hands this week - but no funds (Van needs 4 rebuilt injectors - ouch!)

I might get Maggie out later & rewire the balance control with some nice wire I happen to have...
  • Is that as in 'I can't get over to you, even if I wanted to', no funds?
  • No, it's an 'I'm cheesed off this week and have plenty of time to worry about how to pay the bills at the beginning of next month' no funds.

Now I've sorted the repair arrangements, I'm going to try to find something constructive to do. Yes, you heard it here first.

After I've played with my Pre-Amplifier.
  • Always get the Pre-Amp sorted. It's a priority.
  • Just giving her the first proper blast since the op.

I think it's going to take a few days for the caps to bed in, but she's already sounding better.
  • Great amp prior to the implants, love to hear your impressions with the larger bust :D

You're probably right RE the cap bedding in as it takes a good few hours for the caps to form to their rated specs so things should get better after 10 to 20 hours run-in.
  • I think she's had about three or four hours so far, so there's a bit to go.
  • The Bulk of the problem is in the storage, of the 0.5CV2 by Citroen. It will take time to feel the shelves. 
  • Be interested to know the difference between my toca 20w and your amp Dave.
  • I suspect yours might win out, just because it has those few extra watts.

But, as Alan said somewhere recently, Colin's SECAs are magical.
  • OK. A quick update...

She's coming on song. Three improvements:

- More bass
    - Better transients
    - A even better soundstage - the music just fills the room, almost tangibly. It's so easy to lose the Royds and any experience of hi-fi

And I suspect there's a little more to go because she's only had six or seven hours since her implants.

12 watts per channel just can't be this good. 
  • Oh happy day!

The Green Goddess is sounding fantastic! My guess is I've more or less sorted out the new capacitors now.

There's no hint of the sound of new electronics any more.
  • Good stuff ! Happy listening :)
  • Thanks Paul

I'm in love! :-D
  • Well I did tell you they were good.........hehe
  • And you weren't wrong!
  • edited September 2013
    Paul, you were on about these amps a good three years back IIRC, I should have listened also (especially as we have trodden a similar path on audio). My apologies, oh omniscient one!
  • edited October 2013
    He was closer than us to the motherlode back then, of course, and Colin hadn't brought the Iridium 20 round to my place - the Green Goddess is catching up, but the 20 is still a lap or more ahead.

I wonder why, when Colin's SECAs have been around for so long, they have only been cult objects, or otherwise below the radar?
  • Another man with cloth ears :-D
  • So true give me a EKCO amp any day.
  • edited October 2013
    Nah. Gimme a Fidelity Music Centre.

The wonderful sound of records plopping to their destruction :-D
  • edited October 2013
    No one ever listens to me Alan :)

My love for these thing started way back after reading a review in Hifi Review in the late 80's of the Inca Designs ID25 and me thinking I will have one some day !

I managed to land a job in hifi retail after leaving school, and was a dealer for Colins Inca tech amps, but never actually had any of the class a stuff in the shop.We sold quite alot of Claymores, and also had an IT1X pre /IT200 monos in the upstairs dem room which was bloody good.

Fast forward 20+ years and I spotted an Inca Designs ID1P pre and ID75 power amp on ebay on a Buy it Now........so bought it.

It was only after contacting Colin about servicing the beast about 5 years ago now, that he mentioned the TOCA SECA amps which I had never even heard of.

I managed to track down an early SECA 20w from a dealer add in Hifinews after looking for ages.

All these amps are extremely rare due to the small numbers built, so no surprise really that not many have them :) perhaps the TelluriumQ amps will change that !

Paul.
  • I hope the TQs do change all that.
  • edited October 2013
    I was at Paul F's last night listening to the 50W Mono TOCA on his new speakers he has made, I want a pair, but how do I sneak them home? help please Dave, has you are good at that, so Mrs Dave says.
    And has they are 5ft + tall do you think Mrs C will notice if I put pot plants on the top??
  • I can do CDs and Royd RR3s, but you may need a big hat and a long winter coat for each of them. Then they can be your deaf and dumb musician friends from Estonia.
  • I can do CDs and Royd RR3s, but you may need a big hat and a long winter coat for each of them. Then they can be your deaf and dumb musician friends from Estonia.
    Maybe better from Worthing  :D
    The sub sonic bass was shaking my eye balls. SECA's Rule OK  >:)
    I must get a pair mmmmm lovely 
    Next time you are in the area I will introduce you to them and Paul.
     ;)
  • What about that slightly more powerful set you told me about last week? Should leave the 50 watters for dust ;-)

Would love to hear Paul's system next time we're down.

What are these speakers he's built?