System plans for 2014?

edited December 2013 in Systems
Where do you plan to take your rig next year? Upgrade plans, DIY, itches that need scratching?

Comments

• More music. I realised I haven't bought any for months now (I still haven't got through the last lot) but that's no excuse!

The search continues at chez Brown for speakers that deliver the musical coherence & speed (and 'getting out of the way-ness) as the Royds, with more scale and dynamics. That's an ongoing thing, and I wonder if it will ever be realised.

I have definite plans to try a TT at some point, simply because I want one. But as funds are finite, and the priority is fairly low on this one, it may take a time (years?) - there's no point doing this unless it sounds good. This is just for fun.

Biggest plan for the year ahead is a DIY amplifier, for which I have already made the chassis. I plan to follow one of Col's published designs in Electronics World magazine. Just getting the parts together now (I already have some decent bits from an aborted NVA rebuild a couple of years back).

• New speakers I think. Love the Mummy speakers but fancy a change. Other than that I imagine i'll mess about with the technics a bit but not sure how much further it's worth taking it.
  • I don't know where I'm going at the moment, save for buying a new Mac mini and probably an additional NAS.

If we ever exchange contracts on the house, I'll have to see how the gear works in the new room and take it from there. The Green Goddess may struggle a little, and then there's the question of amp or speaker upgrade (to a pair of horns, possibly).
  • Mmmm. H2s.

• Possibly. 

Or a raid on someone unsuspecting in East Sussex 
    O:-)
  • oooh horns :-)
    Yep, a NAS is on the cards here too.
  • edited December 2013
    Just remembered, I have another mod on my Magnum SECA pre to carry out, which I will carry over to my monoblocks too (if maestro can make me understand it). Perhaps an LDR volume module in there as well?

1st I have to remember which end of the soldering iron to hold!
  • New phono stage to replace my Dino, and a USB to SPDIF converter. That's it! Any itch to scratch has been well and truly removed my the arrival of my Royd RR3s. The Dino is a good meat and potatoes stage, but after Paul (reffc) has gushed about the Hagerman Bugle2 am going to go for this.
  • Yeh, they kind of get you most of the way there, don't they? :D
  • oooh horns :-)
    Yep, a NAS is on the cards here too.
    I'm really pleased with my little Synology. I'm thinking of this one in the New Year http://www.synology.com/en-uk/products/overview/DS214play
  • New NAS (my Netgear one broke last week).

Finish DAC.

Build a power amp.

Buy a turntable.

^ not in this order :)
  • I've had a problem with my TT front end buzzing a lot. I think it's something in the NVA Phono 2 causing it. I want to get that sorted or replaced. Tho money will be tight in '14.
    Colin's kindly carried out some renovations to my old Claymore (yeah! old school Claymore!), when I get that back I'll have fun with that.
    Enjoying my just this moment picked up Paul/RFC renovated Goodmans.
  • Here in France enjoy myself seeing friends think I will stay and build atomic powered A Class. Ben try a new Claymore be a dare devil he he take care all see you soon.
  • Stereotype warning:

Surely that'd be a garlic powered A class :-)
  • Here in France enjoy myself seeing friends think I will stay and build atomic powered A Class. Ben try a new Claymore be a dare devil he he take care all see you soon.
    New...?
    Pah. You should know by now I only do hot-rods these days. Give your new chap 25 years and I'll take a look. ;-)
  • Ok I can wait he he
  • My plans from now till Christmas is to upgrade my mains in my hifi room, which means a 30mm armoured radial under the garden to my hifi room, this has been a loooong time in coming but as the spark it doing all the work and providing about £450 of materials for free I didn't want to push him, but I did make sure it was going to be before Christmas.
    Over the Christmas break I plan to completely re build by xovers as mine look like a dogs dinner! Thanks again to Paul for the advice.
    As for 2014 I'm not sure yet, but I'm sure I'll find some tweakery to be tweaking.
  • My plans from now till Christmas is to upgrade my mains in my hifi room, which means a 30mm armoured radial under the garden to my hifi room, this has been a loooong time in coming but as the spark it doing all the work and providing about £450 of materials for free I didn't want to push him, but I did make sure it was going to be before Christmas.
    Over the Christmas break I plan to completely re build by xovers as mine look like a dogs dinner! Thanks again to Paul for the advice.
    As for 2014 I'm not sure yet, but I'm sure I'll find some tweakery to be tweaking.
    At some point in the distant future I plan to have a dedicated mains. Perhaps when we move to warmer climes.
    At some point in the distant future I plan to have a dedicated mains. Perhaps when we move to warmer climes.

That's on my shopping list, too.
  • Gonna have a bash with balanced mains at some point too.
  • I've not had my main system set up for a year now.

Was dismantled when i installed central heating, and just not got the space here, so will probably be one of colins new claymores, and some bookshelf speakers, if i can find something decent enough.

Paul.
  • New Turntable for me....
    The Mrs is allowing me to invest in one. This will be my first new TT for over 20 years.
    I have this one in mind :)

fingers crossed SHMBO doesn't change her mind !

• Very nice, Monty.
    The Mrs is allowing me to invest in one. This will be my first new TT for over 20 years.

Has the missus just seen the photo, or has she had sight of the price tag too...?
  • With all this talk of retro and TTs recently, I've just secured one of these.
  • edited December 2013
    With all this talk of retro and TTs recently, I've just secured one of these.
    It will still sound better than _--__-_--__-, oh well your never believe me anyhow.
  • With all this talk of retro and TTs recently, I've just secured one of these.
    It will still sound better than _--__-_--__-, oh well your never believe me anyhow.
    What the heck do you know about it, Buster? :-D
  • I had one, is that close enough. I see you feel loads better he he  >:)
  • Was it betta than a seca?  8-}
  • edited December 2013
    Well it was portable, it had speakers, it had no__--__---_-_ on it. So it answer would be  =)) as good as a NVA  a D Class

Has the missus just seen the photo, or has she had sight of the price tag too...?
    It's taken some work, but she's OK with the price :)

It's taken some work, but she's OK with the price :)
    Well done sir.
    :-)
  • Considering a big transistor power amp for a different bit of flavour against the valves this year, nice for the summer also! Well if it turns out to be an A/B at least ;)
  • Considering a big transistor power amp for a different bit of flavour against the valves this year, nice for the summer also! Well if it turns out to be an A/B at least ;)
    Hmmm, I have a suggestion! No wait, it's gone again... ;)
  • What kind of amp are you considering Dan?
  • I'm planning to get my hi-fi back together again to regale the new neighbours with ugly music :-)
  • Well I think I may know what Alan had in mind for me but I was thinking a little further afield, a mate has recently sold a very serious system and gone all Emotiva, so I was thinking about a pair of their monos or a power amp, the specs are rediculous, build quality rediculous, price rediculous and yes u guessed it, sound wise...

The XPA-2 is 300w per channel into 8 and 600 into 4' has a 1.2kva toroidal and wil deive anything.
    There are also A/B monos, A through to A/B monos with the Class A running to 35wpc on the smaller ones and I think 60wpc on the larger.

The XPR-2 power amp is also very tasty, with 600-1000wpc on tap a 2.5kva toroidal and a quad differential balanced circuitry there is much to choose from.
  • So something quite timid then Dan...
    ;-)
  • My Ayons surprised me when I had the Cyrus Signature monos for review, they lapped up every watt and performed excellently with fantastic grip. So something more moderately priced which is gaining such a reputation like Emotiva may serve me well.