I'm up and running!

edited February 2014 in Systems
After much too long, the main uglymusic system is up and running in our new home. 

The sound is not as it should be, but everything's cold, and I haven't worked out where the speakers should be. I'm just hoping the new room isn't worse acoustically than the old room. 

The other thing is whether the Green Goddess' 12 wpc will be OK in a 27' (or is it 24'?) room. First impressions are encouraging.

Comments

• Never an easy task but as u know perseverance shall prevail, hope it's sooner rather than later for u pal :)
    Photos are always good?...
  • Yup. I'm not going to do anything until I'm sure the electronics are on song.

Photos, I will do, as it's you Dan :-)
  • Congrats on this milestone, Dave! <):) I'll bet it takes a few days to get those 'tronics nicely warmed through (did you try the microwave, or a warm bath?)

I don't think the amp is going to struggle somehow, my baby blob won't shake my foundadtions but it is adequate even in my large room. The speakers ought to blossom though, having some real breathing space. I found that in spite of being generally un-fussy WRT positioning they like being away from side walls and away from the back wall (they don't need bass reinforcement at all IMHO).

Have fun!
  • Thank you Alan.

No microwave or warm bath, but I did try one of those candle thingies they use in the local curry house. 'You want poppadum with that DAC sir?' :-)
  • I'm sure Colin will be along soon to suggest wrapping ur cables around the radiator for an hour or two Dave ;)

I remember moving into my first place when I was 17 it was TV on the fridge freezer in the living room, electronics on the floor, speakers either aide and sit, eat, sleep in an armchair, did it sound great, uh no but I still had everything I wanted :)

Did u get ur own room for the hifi?
    Always easier when there's no compromising going on, just cover the walls with marshmallows held on with raspberry jam.
  • Colin always recommends doing something with my cables, but I draw a line at winding them around my neck!

I didn't get my own room for hi-fi :-( The house was too good to pass up otherwise. 

I am making TV and video playback available everywhere, so I can pack Sam off somewhere to watch chick flicks when I want to make noise :-)
  • Good man, Ang will just sit in the bedroom, she's got a 55" LED a Virgin TiVo and a networked Apple TV2 with XBMC on along with a decent sound system that has a squeezebox in, so my living room becomes my den with my system in. We are in a flat so all on one floor so doesn't really make a difference to us. As long as she has her housewives and the crime channel I can do as I please ;)
  • Horray about time, poor GG probably thinks she is scraped or exchanged for "Another Amp" Heartless Dave just Heartless, wicked man.
  • edited February 2014
    Hope it wasn't an old peoples home  :-h
  • Hope it wasn't an old peoples home  :-h
    Age is in the mind, and the pain of old age is in the bones.

:-\"
  • Well done Dave.

You don't hang about :)  I had no system running for a year just to install central heating !

• When's the house warming...?
  • A whole year, according to Paul!

Dave, those neighbors are in for a nasty shock mate - has ugly music ever been heard in Lil'hampton? Mind you, if they fit with the local demographic they won't hear you, but you may have to listen to Cash in the Attic though the walls...
  • When's the house warming...?
    Whenever the Green Goddess is switched on!
  • Well done Dave.

You don't hang about :)  I had no system running for a year just to install central heating !

That makes me feel a lot less guilty :-)
  • A whole year, according to Paul!

Dave, those neighbors are in for a nasty shock mate - has ugly music ever been heard in Lil'hampton? Mind you, if they fit with the local demographic they won't hear you, but you may have to listen to Cash in the Attic though the walls...
    I'm not sure how thick the walls are, so I'm trying to be good. Honest.
  • You'll be OK, once the contractors arrive to pad them!  ~X(

Did you hump your old Gyro across with you when you moved? I think Col's ears pricked up when I mentioned you had one in your hallway... I mean vestibule!
  • Gyro is here, yup!
  • Dug out the old Russian camera yet Dave? :)
  • Zenit get it, Analog, Dave ! :O
  • Best I can do is a bag full of Canon SLRs dating back to the late 70s.
  • Nice a Canon a good analog recording of 1812 on Telarc
  • edited February 2014
    I thought I'd better give you chaps an update.

The system sounds very different in the new room than in the old one. In short, it sounds more delicate and detailed than before.

What's missing is bass oomph. I hope I can get that back from working on speaker positioning. I'd moved them around without spikes until they sounded the best I could, then added the spikes and little Atacama feet James recommended.

Before spiking I was getting a massive contribution from the suspended wooden floor, and was worried that would always be the case. Spiked and Atacama'd, the floor mush has disappeared. 

Now, surrounded largely by hard, non resonant surfaces, the sound is even cleaner than in the concrete-floored flat. I think the cupboards behind the RR3s were, as I suspected, joining in.

Whether I can conjure up more bass weight remains to be seen. I hope so.
  • It's hard to say from this angle, but it looks like that rug really ties the room together, man!
  • Thanks. It and the curtains are only there until we decorate, but it does go with the borrowed curtains.
  • Is the bass hiding in the rough shag?
  • Rough shag???? Speak for yourself! 
  • Nice choice of equipment 'rack' Dave. I'm using the exact same unit.....it's creaking under the weight of my kit :-SS

Perhaps your speakers need some reinforcement from the wall? Trouble is moving them back might introduce other issues from the corner.
  • You are, as ever, a man of taste James :-)

Do you know if they're still available, perchance?

I agree on the positioning.
  • Any news on the errant bass...?
  • Haven't had time to move the speakers around yet. Weekend stuff intervening :-(
  • You lead an enviable social life sir. How long does it take to move a speaker...? ;-)
  • Moving quick and easy. But they then have to be listened to, my friend ;-)
  • A lot of xenon in your front room is there...?
  • Only Kryptonite...
  • Nice! ;)
    So how did the weekends shuffling workout Dave, any improvements?

The Royds look great, how far apart are they from each other, where do u plonk ur bot?
  • I haven't shuffled. Hoping to do it Tuesday or Wednesday.

The Royds are nice. They look really small in the pic. Smaller than they appear in the room, if you see what I mean.

They're probably 9 feet apart - I haven't measured - and the Rosam posterior is around 12 feet away, on axis. I know that Joe A recommended a wider base to the triangle, but that would be difficult to achieve given the room layout/furniture getting in the way.
  • I think we are all constrained by our rooms unless living the dream!
    Hope u find a more pleasing position but not gunna be easy I guess and the tiniest toe or base placement will be reactive no doubt.
    Don't rule out moving them a little closer together with little to no toe in Dave, u may find u get a more cohesive centre focus and the Royds will image well and outside of their boundaries.

Good luck :)
  • Interesting you say about centre focus. I've been thinking that the imaging has been a bit speaker-centre-speaker, if that makes sense, and considering pointing them in a slightly different direction.
  • DanDan
    edited February 2014
    I've found many people make the most of utilising the width of their front walls when placing their speakers when in reality it does give an effect that u mention, pushing them closer together can work wonders.
  • Pushing them together would help get the LH speaker further away from the sofa.

I see lots of speaker shifting coming on...
  • edited February 2014
    By Spendor's as you love them to bits, and never switch them on  :-)) >:) :-c  Problem solved see easy :) 
  • By Spendor's as you love them to bits, and never switch them on  :-)) >:) :-c  Problem solved see easy :) 
    Bloody techies!

• By Spendor's as you love them to bits, and never switch them on  :-)) >:) :-c  Problem solved see easy :) 
    Bloody techies!

Col. I bow to your unchallenged wisdom, as always  :-B
  • Fibs he he
    Bloody techies!

Col. I bow to your unchallenged wisdom, as always  :-B
    Well Col's solution would flatten up the problem with frequency response.
  • Thanks Ben, see Dan can't see it but Ben can, could always save money and use no speakers then get a nice car instead. 

:-B
  • Hey Big Spendor! :-D
  • Could kill 2 birds with one stone....