SSD recommendations

edited January 2011 in DIY
I'm planning to replace the trad HD in my White MacBook with an SSD.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• I haven't investigated properly yet, but there seem to be quite a few options now. I'll be interested in what you find out - I guess you've had a mooch on CA?

Are you planning on a big one or something with modest capacity just for the OS?
  • Just a little one for OS and apps.
  • Thanks Hugo

Is that what you bought? 
  • When I built a little Zotac barebones PC, I decided that the cost of a SSD could not be justified, so I used a normal HDD instead.  That was probably the right decision, since the Zotac fell way behind my old HP laptop in sound quality terms (using HiFace interfaces); and it's now relegated to ordinary internet duties.

From what I can discern, some SSDs have a crap controller, resulting in poor read/write rates.  I think that the "Sandgate" controller used by OCZ, Corsair etc is the one to go for, but maybe someone with IT knowledge can confirm that.  Jason certainly used an OCZ SSD in his TFS computer.
  • There's only a tenner betwixt the 40GB & the 60GB. This might be a 'sensible' source for the refund I'll get from those USB cables....Time to employ my man-maths & male-logic powers!

Hold on - just putting my pants on outside my trousers...

Hugo! Look what you've done!
  • When I built a little Zotac barebones PC, I decided that the cost of a SSD could not be justified, so I used a normal HDD instead.  That was probably the right decision, since the Zotac fell way behind my old HP laptop in sound quality terms (using HiFace interfaces); and it's now relegated to ordinary internet duties.

From what I can discern, some SSDs have a crap controller, resulting in poor read/write rates.  I think that the "Sandgate" controller used by OCZ, Corsair etc is the one to go for, but maybe someone with IT knowledge can confirm that.  Jason certainly used an OCZ SSD in his TFS computer.
    Thanks Hugo

I'll e-mail Jason to get the full skinny.
  • There's only a tenner betwixt the 40GB & the 60GB. This might be a 'sensible' source for the refund I'll get from those USB cables....Time to employ my man-maths & male-logic powers!

Hold on - just putting my pants on outside my trousers...

Hugo! Look what you've done!
    You know you love spending money :-)