Macs

edited February 2014 in Other stuff
This discussion was created from comments split from: Discovering The Sound.

Comments

• I'm using a MacBook Air 11". Much better keyboard than my iPad :-)
  • DanDan
    edited February 2014
    But u have to sit upright Dave :)
    - Nice and great for music with the SSD and on battery power, do u get many hours out of the batt when using it for toons?
  • I don't use it for toons, just for controlling the White MacBook on the hi-fi rack, keeping an eye on the NAS and the Mac mini I use for ripping, and so on. The White MacBook s a bit hacked with SSD and OS X mods.
  • edited February 2014
    Slowly moved from Android & PC to Mac, iPad and iPhone without really realising it.  The stuff is just rock solid and works, less time messing around trying to fix or work around stuff or handling durability issues.  Also, the white balance on Mac screen is so natural, way more than anything else I've used.
  • Networking with Apple is a cinch, Windows used to piss me off something rotten!
    I love my ATV2, I'm running XBMC on that and the Mini and I Airplay from my Air feom time to time which is double handy, it all just works so well with no fuss :)
  • Interesting. Does XBMC work well on the mac and can you play hi-res FLAC files the same as you can on the PC?  Mac Mini's do make for a compact HTPC.
  • Networking with Apple is a cinch, Windows used to piss me off something rotten!
    I love my ATV2, I'm running XBMC on that and the Mini and I Airplay from my Air feom time to time which is double handy, it all just works so well with no fuss :)
    Apple networking is a thing of beauty. Once experienced, hooked forever!

You've jailbroken your ATV2, then, Dan?
  • Yep, jail broken and running every worthwhile repository, gods knows if I'll ever get through all what's on there tho Al, there's just so much to watch, I'm currently working my way through some documentaries on aliens and conspiracy stuff.

As far as flacks etc goes XBMC will play anything and everything as far as I'm aware, it can be installed on Mac, Windows, Linux, IOS, Android and more, also using Openlec a basic OS which can be installed instead of Windows or on a flash drive for instant boot into XBMC without any background programs if run within the standard OS ie Windows. It's also my favourite option for streaming from the NAS for all my films and series.

Box office , events, sports, movies and live TV is accessible with XBMC.....so I'm told ;)
  • Tempting.

Is ATV3 still unjailbroken?
  • That's handy, I just hadn't thought of the Mac Mini as a viable HTPC option.  I have a excellent PC with i7, 16gb RAM, 128SSD & 2x 2TB drives and I'm using XMBC for MKV playback and I like to listen to FLAC on there too but I would like to integrate my digital collection into my Hi-Fi without going to town on crazy networking options.

As it stands I can just stand my tower next to my Hi-Fi stand and was thinking of running it through DAC but I was considering a case with a smaller footprint so I could put in on one of my shelves and find a place for my 24inch monitor (as top shelf is for the Turntable).

I must admit that I've not been too successful with the XBMC app on my android phone thus far, the first challenge getting it to connect to my pc :S
  • edited March 2014
    Moved :-)