Suzy6Toes

edited March 2014 in Say hello
This discussion was created from comments split from: Female flesh.

Comments

• Ok, apparently it is customary to post about my system and musical tastes. So, as I have half an hour as the cake bakes, here it goes........

Amp is a Yamaha DSP-AX763, which seemed the best affordable option at the time. We needed something to accommodate an Optoma data projector and Panasonic DMP-BD35 (which I would replace in an instant - its lackadaisical attitude to life drives me to distraction. )
    But my must-have piece of kit is my turntable. Again, budget entry level, Project Debut III, but does the job. Fleetwood Mac, CS&N, Eagles can only be listened to on LP. Also have a rather special Cymande Promised Heights LP.
    Musical tastes do veer towards the melodramatic at times: enjoy a lot of Peter Gabriel, especially Passion (only decent thing to come out of the film Last Temptation of Christ, and the perfect length and mood for Sunday morning yoga). Gabriel's lyrics use a lot of water and earth imagery, which appeals.
    Tastes are also prone to the maudlin: Bonnie Prince Billy, Lhasa, Nick Drake.
    Stuff to lull me into peace are Satie and most recently Plastikman (minimal techno)
    When I want to dance, it's The Cure (and the Ashley Beedle stuff right now)
    And when I want to throw stuff around in a tantrum it's Front 242. I wont post any of the lyrics for them, not sure it'll get past the censor !

Ok, you may notice there is something missing here. It nearly put the kybosh on my friendship with Ben, but I am depending on that promise that this is a forgiving forum......speakers:  B&W DM601

Oven timer beeping. Cake eating time :-)

• Welcome Suzy, 
  • Hi Suzy. Glad you've arrived! :-)
  • Can't be a good old traditional fruit cake or a banana cake yum :)
  • yes, but parsnip cake?...maybe not so much! It tastes like coconut, I promise. But it's usually best to keep the actual ingredients a secret.

• Nothing's straight forward with you, is it...?
  • yes, but parsnip cake?...maybe not so much! It tastes like coconut, I promise. But it's usually best to keep the actual ingredients a secret.

I make a steamed pudding with carrot and potato. Some people guess the carrot, but no one has yet guessed potato.

So, can we have the parsnip cake recipe, please? 
  • Hi Suzy,

6 toes is cool, but you would be a better fit round here if they were webbed. However, if you keep this talk of cake up, then I doubt anyone will notice!

Looks like a nice little system you have there, I have pretty find memories of s1 600 series speakers. I prefer them to the current crop. The only thing that matters is if you like it.
  • Yes, it does me ok. I'm much more easily pleased than you dedicated audiophiles! But, many moons ago, I got NAD 804 floorstanding speakers thrown in with a husband. They are probably nothing to write home (or to an audio forum!) about, but I was fond of them. Wouldnt fit in to the new house when we moved :-(
    I have kindly been offered long term loan of an NVA AP30 amp and some JPW P2 speakers (thanks Doc!!). I know that the amp is where the excitement should lie, but, after Ben's disparaging comments on my B&Ws, I'd really like to hear the JPWs with my current amp just for contrast. 

Funny you say about webbed toes: my brother has the 2nd and 3rd toes of each foot webbed together. He's a great swimmer ;-)

Cake recipe to follow later.....

• Yes, it does me ok. I'm much more easily pleased than you dedicated audiophiles! But, many moons ago, I got NAD 804 floorstanding speakers thrown in with a husband. They are probably nothing to write home (or to an audio forum!) about, but I was fond of them. Wouldnt fit in to the new house when we moved :-(
    I have kindly been offered long term loan of an NVA AP30 amp and some JPW P2 speakers (thanks Doc!!). I know that the amp is where the excitement should lie, but, after Ben's disparaging comments on my B&Ws, I'd really like to hear the JPWs with my current amp just for contrast. 

Funny you say about webbed toes: my brother has the 2nd and 3rd toes of each foot webbed together. He's a great swimmer ;-)

Cake recipe to follow later.....

I've never really given the P2s a chance. I used to have them up in the atic to play my drum kit to. Also they provided extra volume (with an NVA AP10) supplementing the main system at my 40th party, but I've never really sat down and listened to them properly. I have a memory of thinking that they were open sounding when I tested them. B&W have always sounded "sticky" (a bit too mid forward?) to me, so I'd be interested in a comparison there.

Trying the AP30 with your speakers will be interesting too.
    In fact, I can feel a Worcester bake-off coming on. Alan, get those ludicrously large new amps of yours up to the west midlands! :-)
  • Would definitely be up for a bit of amp and speaker mix and match. As a rank amateur, I will need all the help I can get! My education starts here by the sounds of it :-)

So, Dave (and with apologies to those not enamoured of tuber based gateaux!!)

1/2 lb grated parsnip, 1/2 lb flour, scant tsp baking powder, 2 oz dried pineapple little chunks, 1/4 lb melted soya marg, 1/4 lb sugar. Mix. 160 degree oven for 50 mins. orange icing on top. Scoff.

• What happened to the NADs...?
  • sold to the highest bidder to fund the replacements :-(
  • I checked them out on t'interweb. Ugly bastards.
  • Thanks for the cake recipe. Can't say I'm keen on dried pineapple, so maybe I'll be a bit more conventional with my dried fruit choice ;-)
  • 'Also have a rather special Cymande Promised Heights LP ' 

Aye Aye, that certainly is a special LP.. Brothers On The Slide is my all time favourite track, and will most likely sound even more splendid throught the NVA/JPW combo 

Oh, and welcome to chews
  • Thanks for the welcome. "Changes" stops me in my tracks everytime. And yes, definitely looking forward to my new combo :-)
  • I came across the JPW speakers while grovelling about in what is left of the attic space today.
    And Suzy, as discussed you may be best borrowing the Claymore (recently supercharged by Colin) simply because the NVA doesn't have a phono stage. It will be fun comparing the sounds, which is something I have not done.
    "Promised Heights" is only my 3rd favourite album I'm afraid. "Second Time Round" is first, "Cymande" is second. ;-)
  • Actually, I say it doesn't, but it might do. I think NVA offered it as an optional extra. I bought the AP30 SH from a friend of Alan's, so he may have asked for a phono stage to be built in. I can't remember if I was told. We can check by plugging in a TT.