Audirvana+ to replace iTunes (for many Hifi-ists)

edited March 2014 in Digital
Damien has released a little teaser screenshot (published on computer audiophile) of the new Audirvana+, currently in testing.

Those of you who don't stream using Apple hardware may not be aware of why this is exciting to us who do. Well, here's why: iTunes is a pretty bearable library manager in terms of cataloging your music collection. The interface is usable and it is a stable program. However it is a little limited. For example if you have music saved with varying sample rates, iTunes won't automatically change the output for you to play at the new sample rate. It elects to read and resample your music in order to play it at the sample rate selected as a global setting. Subjectively assessed, there are better sounding software players out there too.

Audirvana+ has been available a few years now, and has rivaled the reputation of the 'best' software for playing music. In the opinion of many, it is the best (and it is also one of the most reasonably priced). It allows iTunes to be browsed as the music library and it's inbuilt playback controls to be used, while diverting all the playback functions to Audirvana+. This even happens via remote devices which are designed to work with iTunes. Audirvana+ is loaded with all the features a HiFi enthusiast would need, including DSP, equalization, room correction and 64 bit dithered software volume control.

However, the hardcore audiophiles have long said Audirvana+ sounds better when not integrated with iTunes. Using it thus is (IMO) a monumental faff, so I have prioritized convenience over ultimate quality, and used the iTunes integration. Damien (developer of Audirvana) has been working on a complete program to manage music libraries (without losing iTunes functionality) and playback music files with all the quality of the stand-alone Audirvana+ player. Much of his work has been motivated by iTunes apparently impairing a computers ability to reach it's full potential as a music player.

Here is what it could look like:

The proof will be in the listening, but I welcome the newcomer, especially if it is a genuine alternative to iTunes designed with music lovers & audiophiles in mind.

Comments

• This is what I've been waiting for!

iTunes has a nasty habit of losing files from its library, so hopefully Damien will have improved on that.

I will have to have iTunes running somewhere, as I use it for streaming videos to our Apple TVs and iPads. But that's not too much of a problem.