NVA or look elsewhere?

edited April 2014 in Amplifiers
Hi, I need to get a new amplifier and have been looking at NVA and Exposure. People on another forum have put LFD into the mix as well, and not to mention building something using Hypex modules.

I'm looking for something that doesn't add or take away from the music and I've got a budget of about £500

Thanks James

Comments

• Plenty of NVA fans here. And for my ears and purse I'd say £500 is around NVA's sweet spot.
    Liking NVA appears to often correlate with Exposure doesn't it...?
    No exeperience of LFD myself.
    There appears to be a growing fondness for Class A amps on here... So there's something else to complicate things for you!
    Anyway welcome. :-)
  • I actually came here after search for NVA TSS and finding a post where it looks like a member has taken the core NVA PCB and improved things by adding new transformers and capacitors. It looked really interesting but not sure if it went anywhere.

I've been told the A80 is probably the one to go for, although I'd love an AP50 or AP70 if one ever came up.

Just a waiting game now.
  • What's this Green Goddess Class A I see people have?
  • edited April 2014
    I had A80s and a TSS mk3. All good. I compared the TSS mk3 with an AP30 and an AP10 not so long ago. There's a thread here sonewhere...
    Alan here is the chap who was working on a TSS. Try PMing him...?
    The Green Goddess is Dave (Uglymusic)'s power amp. My understanding is that it's a one off class A amp built by Colin Wonfor (Inca Tech, TQ, etc.,...). Dave will doubtless fill you in... :-)
    Also, Colin pops in here regularly.
  • I have a pair of Mk1 TDSs and the Statement Passive.

The Green Goddess is my power amp, and it was indeed built for me by @Colin. She's the Green Goddess because Colin mistakenly sprayed her case dark green :-O

She has something of Colin's earlier TOCA design and what became the TQ Iridium 20 in her genes. The TOCA circuit has been published and @Alan based his recent Class A monoblock build on that circuit.
  • Hi TheSelby, welcome to Chews.

I was the one who planned an A80 rebuild, but unfortunately the 'guvnor wasn't available to follow the project through (much to his & my disappointment). In the end, we kept almost all the parts I bought and they have found a home in my new amps, a few other bits were sold. The very last few odds & ends are being schemed over as we speak.

As for modifying NVA in general, well it didn't seem that easy from what I understood (I saw smoke and evfryfink) so once repairs were made the amps were disposed of, but in stock form. At the time I had a TSS and that was a stonking good amp in itself so no real harm done in the end, but it got me interested in modding/building.

• I've might have the opportunity to by a Mk2 TSS, but not sure I can afford it. The other option is some Mk1 A80s.

I do like the idea of building something myself hence why I've been looking at Hypex as they look simple to build (almost plug and play). But then I see posts about your 28W SECA and it makes me think I should one day look elsewhere than Hypex.

Then there's Class A...jeez if only I had the money to buy lots of amplifiers, try them all and keep what I like.
  • Well, to cut down on confusion, 'SECA' is an acronym: Single Ended Class A.

Class A doesn't automatically make for great amplifier, any more than valves are automatically good, or Naim. You have to be careful, by which I mean audition for yourself or listen to other peoples systems. The number one thing is synergy, your speakers may well sound wonderful on one quite good amp but sound less impressive with an amp you thought to be better. Who knows why?

It's all about how the system works together as a whole, and then (more importantly) how it works on you! After all, you may love or hate class A sound.

P.S.

Hypex are simple & easy, I have a set of UCD140s on loan and they are clean, detailed, fast, transparent & boring... I cant be bothered to go into why I don't love them (I should on paper) but they just don't float my boat. This kind of illustrates what I mention above.
  • Yeah, a good few people have given the exact same response they say the Hypex is great but dull. The NC400 are meant to be better than the UCD but they aren't cheap.

I have always liked the idea of less components and simple design. 

I live in Berkshire by the way.
  • I agree with Alan re Hypex, having owned a pair or nCore's for a period of time and using them with two different sets of speakers. They didn't do it for me.

Currently I have a Bantam Gold, Bantam monoblocks (with linear PSU), Amptastic Mini-1 and a heavily modded Art Audio Quintet (class A I think) power amp. Judged purely on sound quality I think the Amptastic has the edge on all the others. I should stress I'm using it in power amp mode and there's a Nelson Pass pre/buffer driving it.

For £99 the Amptastic is well worth trying James.
  • edited April 2014
    As the person who volunteered to write a few words for the nva website post selbys resignation[ if used they may be rubbish] , I am afraid I don't recoignise his facts , however im sure these things are best not aired on a public forum so I will wish him luck in finding an amp , a modded claymore may be good .
  • As the person who volunteered to write a few words for the nva website post selbys resignation[ if used they may be rubbish] , I am afraid I don't recoignise his facts , however im sure these things are best not aired on a public forum so I will wish him luck in finding an amp , a modded claymore be good .
    Hi Daniel, and welcome.

There is always more to these things than meets the eye, so thanks for addressing this in a most respectful manner. I agree fully with you regarding 'dirty laundry' being best dealt with discreetly.

If you write for the new website with similar balance and judgment as above, then I'm sure it will be excellent.
  • I'd be very open about the situation, I'm an honest guy but like you say public forums aren't the place for silly disagreements or arguments I see it far too much on other forums. Best thing to say would be 'it didn't work out' hopefully that's the end of it and I wish RD all the best.

I'm more interested now in focusing on building a good hifi system for a small (ish) budget, keeping busy, looking after my family.
  • I'd be very open about the situation, I'm an honest guy but like you say public forums aren't the place for silly disagreements or arguments I see it far too much on other forums. Best thing to say would be 'it didn't work out' hopefully that's the end of it and I wish RD all the best.

I'm more interested now in focusing on building a good hifi system for a small (ish) budget, keeping busy, looking after my family.
    James your attitude and spontaneously self-censoring approach does you credit sir. Good on ya. :-)
  • As I've got another thread open which is more relevant to my search for a suitable amp, can I request this thread is deleted. It's gone off the original subject a little and I really don't want this forum to be turned into the place where people pitch their side of a story.

Let's focus on what we enjoy. HiFi.
  • I will close it. But i feel uneasy about deleting threads that are within reasonable limits and contain the comments of others. :-)
This discussion has been closed.