Claymore and Headphones

2»

Comments

• A Big pet Tiger called "Red Fang" especially after the postman has called.
  • Why is it that ginger cats are so bad tempered?  My family ginger cat was the same back when we had him.  No ginger jokes people, it's a different species! :D
  • OK I've just checked again and my volume control when headphones are in is roughly at 7 o'clock and it starts in-between 6-7 o'clock.  I barely have to move the dial to get it very loud.

I'm gonna take some shots of the inside as soon as I can.
  • Very nice James !

We sold dozens of the standard black ones, back in the late 80's.

I managed to pick a white Claymore (well more cream now really) a few years back...........tis lovely :)

Love that they enjoy their own padded throne there.
  • edited March 2014
    OK I've just checked again and my volume control when headphones are in is roughly at 7 o'clock and it starts in-between 6-7 o'clock.  I barely have to move the dial to get it very loud.

I'm gonna take some shots of the inside as soon as I can.
    Hi James, it sound like somebody has removed the limiting resistor or changed the value.
    Please open and take a photo for me please.
    Oh what are the headphones?
  • edited March 2014
  • Sennheiser HD-650's Colin: http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/high-quality-headphones-around-ear-audio-surround-hd-650

I shall open here up.
    Hi James,

OK now I see why, across the HP terminals from each signal pin the back and the centre  terminal to the ground terminal the front one, you need to solder on each 100R/1W resistors.
    This will reduce the signal to the HP and give you fine control.
  • Is this due to modern, non Plannar Magnetic, headphones needing less juice to drive them, or at least compared to headphones back in the 80's?
  • Yer that sounds good or is it just Ohms law

Is this due to modern, non Plannar Magnetic, headphones needing less juice to drive them, or at least compared to headphones back in the 80's?

• Resistance is futile!  =))
  • Resistance is futile!  =))
    It is A Class Rules OK  :D
  • Hi James,
    OK now I see why, across the HP terminals from each signal pin the back and the centre  terminal to the ground terminal the front one, you need to solder on each 100R/1W resistors.
    This will reduce the signal to the HP and give you fine control.
    Thanks for the help Colin but I have no idea what this will actually mean.  I managed to have a more extended listen to the amp last night and it is rather sensitive in terms of the CD output but I was very happy with the Phone Stage output, sounded great and I think I was nearer 9'o clock in terms of vol pot position.

Can you tell me how hard a "tweak" this little job will be for a beginner.  I've not soldiered a joint since high school (90's) :D
  • I've just been talking to Colin, and he's having trouble accessing Chews - some kind of DNS trouble, by the look of it - so I don't quite know when to expect him back here.

I blame it on the floods in Somerset...
  • Thanks for the update.
  • All part of the Chews Platinum Service :-D
  • Hi All back, just started working again.
    James I will a crap drawing for you , it is easy.
  • Oh dammit! I'll have to try something tougher to keep you out next time  O:-)
  • Move to http://hifisubstandard.org/ and make new enemies he he >:)
  • For James,

Connect between  pins 1 & 3 100R 1 W on the S side of the socket
    Connect between  pins 2 & 3 100R 1 W on the S side of the socket

Using a resistors like this  
  • Thanks Colin :-)

• I wonder how many of those dealers are still in business? 

Bartletts HiFi is still here 
    :D

A really nice thing happened to me the other day.. some months ago, I advised a customer on where to trade his old equipment after he purchased some new kit from the shop, but told him i would be interested in his old Claymore myself if it was cheap.

He came by a couple of weeks ago, and handed said Claymore over, saying he'd like me to have it for £50. I happily accepted,

Thing is tho, the one i now have doesn't look much like any of the Claymore's i've seen before, and it's not the 100w version.

Think it might be an early one? Doesn't have any output protection fuses either.

If i can get m'lady to take some pics with her iphone, might you chaps be able to help me identify it?

• Colin is your man, of course. But Quickie knows a thing or two about them as well ;-)

• I wonder how many of those dealers are still in business? 

Bartletts HiFi is still here 
    :D

A really nice thing happened to me the other day.. some months ago, I advised a customer on where to trade his old equipment after he purchased some new kit from the shop, but told him i would be interested in his old Claymore myself if it was cheap.

He came by a couple of weeks ago, and handed said Claymore over, saying he'd like me to have it for £50. I happily accepted,

Thing is tho, the one i now have doesn't look much like any of the Claymore's i've seen before, and it's not the 100w version.

Think it might be an early one? Doesn't have any output protection fuses either.

If i can get m'lady to take some pics with her iphone, might you chaps be able to help me identify it?

Hi Duke, unfortunately there was company in the mid 80's that made a copy or tried to make a copy of the Claymore called Bensley Electronics but it was not, a few of these do exist still so beware.
  • hey Mr W,

Oh i do hope i aint bought a lemon!

The Amp was purchased from Bartletts originally, so i really hope Mr B wasn't selling knock offs of your design.

Pictures would really help, but i dont have a camera phone of my own.

It's different mainly in that the fascia doesn't have the gold line all the way round, so mainly an issue of finish, and i couldn't see any output protection fuses.. The serial number is something like 100096, so i thought it might be from the very first batch?
  • edited April 2014
    Ok,

here are some (pretty awful) pics of the unit, hopefully some light can be shed on its true heritage:

If it does turn out to be Bensley, i have to say it still sounds mighty impressive!

• I think you need to use the links generated by Dropbox to each individual pic if they're going to appear here.

In the meantime, the link above will take people to a web page with the pix.
  • Looks like an early one....

• Ok,

here are some (pretty awful) pics of the unit, hopefully some light can be shed on its true heritage:

If it does turn out to be Bensley, i have to say it still sounds mighty impressive!

It is a very old one with H-PAK FET's no longer made, it was number 23 only a 100 were made with H-PAK FET's
  • So it's the real deal... Phew!

Was more than a little worried i had been done over, especially when i couldn't find a headphone socket
  • So it's the real deal... Phew!

Was more than a little worried i had been done over, especially when i couldn't find a headphone socket
    The headphone was added on version 4-6 , there is also a few with no rotary selector just push buttons.
  • All good news Colin, the slightly smug grin has returned..

Given that the H-PAK FETs this unit employs are no longer available, is there such a thing as a drop in replacement, or wold modification (additional PCB) be required in the event of a failure?

Also, what's the 'Matched' input to the left of the Phono input all about?
  • Lol.....beware of the ginger pussy col :)

To me that sound very inviting :-)
  • It a Tiger full size and bites for fun when I go there I put on my chain-mail, and garden gloves. 
    Pepper spray did not work last time it thought it was a salad dressing.