Goodmans Magisters For Sale

edited April 2014 in For sale
My old friends, time for them to go! I just don't make use of them in a family room.

They have had some work done over the last few years, not to the highest standard but enough to show their potential and get them most of the way there. A little more attention and they should seriously appreciate in value and performance. Two coats of nasty varnish have been removed, revealing pretty decent veneer underneath. It's survived rather well but it really wants a coat of danish oil. I like them how they are so I haven't done it. There are a few marks, the bottoms are a bit scratched but altogether pretty tidy, considering they are circa 1969!

The crossovers are lightly refreshed, and have the addition of modern gold plated binging posts. The capacitors were changed to a Clarity Cap and a pair of Solen Fast-Caps in each unit. Wiring from crossover to drivers was replaced with some large OFC multi strand speaker cable I had. Everything else is original.

They sound lovely to be honest, not as fast as my Royds but tight and with huge scale. They are pretty uncoloured until you really turn the wick up, they could possibly benefit from a little internal bracing. Again, a potential upgrade for the new owner.

These are contemporaries of the Quad ESL57, they cost almost exactly the same back in the day. I personally prefer Quads, but I'd take the Maggies' over most Tannoys I've heard - that's the company these speakers keep.

The grilles are original, they have a few snags and tears but are pretty presentable.

Price is £200, for which I will come to any service station on the southern M25 and meet you there. You will need a van or a large car!

£175 if you collect from East Sussex.

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Here is a link to a more comprehensive slideshow.

I forgot to say, the little stands are included if you want them (they do sound better off the floor).

All drivers are in excellent condition and they probably sound better than they did when new.

I found a picture of how they used to appear:

It's not so clear in the picture, but the varnish was a quite dark red/mahogany yacht varnish affair - nasty!!
  • Dims:

H: 69
    W: 51
    D: 36

Weight: Very
  • I hate you, Mr. Brown.
    This will keep me awake.
  • I've decided.
    These should be bought by Paul. He can finish off their renovation.
  • edited April 2014
    I thought I'd torture the procrastinators a little! :D

The Magisters sound wonderful at the moment, on the end of some Single Ended class A loveliness. Absolutely huge scale & dynamics, very low coloration and tight tight bass. Bass which goes down to 26hz... The midrange has a ESL/Lowther like speed and immediacy to it and the treble is sweet and natural. These really do sound the business.

How about stacked Magisters then?

Go on, you know they make absolutely no sense at all, which is why you [I]need [/I]them...

P.S. Apologies for the really washed out camera phone pics, it used to take good snaps. I'll look at the settings and see if I can't manage something better later.
  • Ben, this probably won't help, but...

The Goodwoods are basically the same speaker as the Magnum SL, which I have also played about with. Same mid-range, same tweeter and what looks like the same 12" bass driver, though the Goodwood has flattened edges & the Magnum SL is fully round.

If I remember your crossovers from the rebuild thread, the are the same basic design as well - no visual differences there.

Well guess what? The Magisters use the same tweeters, same midrange but a 15" version of the woofer. And, the crossover is visually the same again - no real difference in design (I'm sure some of the inductors could be different values, but the do look the same).

What I'm trying to say is, the work you have had done on the Goodwoods ought to be transferable to Magisters with little more than some crossover fettling. I'm no expert, but I'm just sayin'...
  • edited April 2014
    Oh do fuck off.
    ;-)
  • PACPAC
    edited April 2014
    Oh do fuck off.
    ;-)

=)) =)) =))

They're a nice speaker Alan and as you say, with a little tweaking can be made to sound pretty respectable and better than some made today.  The tweeter was one of the weak points and could benefit from a change to a more linear response modern unit (with better off axis response too) but that's relatively easy to sort. It means a crossover change.  The inductors for the bass will almost certainly be different to the Goodmans as will the cap values. The PCB might be the same but the crossovers were designed semi anechoically using two or three mics to generate the best acoustic response they could muster.  You cannot fettle them using cook-book values, you have to measure the originals with respect to the impedance curve and frequency response of the drivers, see where they're crossing over acoustically and try and match that (and get the phase response as good as possible) with a new unit. It's a lot of work but worth the effort.

The cabs are relatively easy to sort.  A lot of the existing foam is removed, timber bracing installed (you avoid using steel sheets because they can affect inductor behaviour/values in close proximity) and a little long lambswool added and you adjust until it sounds about right...not too over damped.  Tempted as I am, I have far too many pairs of speakers knocking around otherwise I probably would have bought these.

Best of luck with the sale.  These have the potential to be surprisingly good loudspeakers.
  • I have heard these very speakers.  They are very good indeed.  And bugger me £175 is as cheap as chips!
  • Wednesday bump! They are still here, three potential suitors have backed
    out because of size/car ratio and wives (both valid reasons). Be warned
    - the Magisters are MANS speakers!

These are £175 collected from near Eastbourne, or £200 to meet on the
    southern services of your choice (yes!) on the M25, or along the south
    coast between Chichester & Dover. The little stands are included.
  • I heard these speakers with various amp and DAC combinations and found the sound to be just superb.  In its current state they are a true make you feel content and put a smile on your face kind of speaker.
    And if your up for it you can mod the heck out of them making them  a real reference speaker. 
  • edited April 2014
    Their little bros the Goodwoods have scrubbed up very well. Joking aside, I'm sure the Magisters are supoib.
  • Just imagine how good a pair of scrubbed up Magisters would be Ben :-)
  • Friday night bump for some serious man-speakers. Very efficient, very loud, less coloured than most Tannoys (IMHO),with deep tight bass. What's not to like?

Your wife will learn to love them!
  • Friday night bump for some serious man-speakers. Very efficient, very loud, less coloured than most Tannoys (IMHO),with deep tight bass. What's not to like?

Your wife will learn to love them!
    My wife's still learning to love me...
  • edited May 2014
    :)
  • Maybe they will find their way to maidstone ;-)
  • Now sold, to (another) nice man in Sometsert. I'll have to make another trip down there, in early June. :D
  • edited May 2014
    303 nosh shop here we come yer  :D ~O) **==

• Well done Alan.

I hope you got a good price.
  • edited May 2014
    I held out for asking price, they're easily worth it.

Col, I shall start fasting now...

Just to out it in the public domain, Ian Taviner has paid £100 up front for these, the other half to follow when we meet in June to hand the Maggies over.
  • Excellent! Well done!