One For Colin and Paul . SECA

If you don't mind what were the original reservoir cap size make, uf and voltage. Following on from that what would be the capacitor of choice now re size, voltage and make. When these are changed what sort of changes do they illicit. Paul fitted larger caps than mine but did hint that if i were to do mine he would go bigger still. When looking for these is long life and low leakage the most important thing ? It is starting to sound better already 

Chris 

Comments

• Hi Chris,

Samwha 22000uf 25v were fitted originally.

47000uf 25v are available, but seem to be non stock items with big MOQ's/lead times.

I like the Panasonic & CDE caps.

Look for low ESR and high ripple current.

Certainly helps the bass speed/power in my experience.
  • Chris,

Low ESR and Ripple Current is the first pointer followed by life then leakage.Keeping in mind temperature working 125C would be good but most are 85C
    There is some 1.5F at 25V with ESR as low as 10mOhms and ripple current in 100Amp range made by Delco.
    But cost is silly.
    So in the TOCA each must have a ripple current rating of 3 Amps or more, and a minimum value of 22,000uf this will give a ripple voltage of approx of 0.7V , by increasing the value the ripple voltage goes down by rule of big toe 
    A* 1/(C/10000) for 50Hz and the ripple volts reduces for 60Hz. This normally is close enough.

i.e. 1* 1/10000/10000 = 1V
  • Something like this  panasonic eco-s1ep473ea 105 degree chaps.
  • Won't fit.......30mm max diameter.
  • Perfect choice
  • I don't think Chris wants 160 of them - or am I missing something?
  • This panasonic ok eco-s1ep333da  105 c  . min order on the other one is 160 bit to many lol
  • edited June 2014
    I don't think Chris wants 160 of them - or am I missing something?
    I did say they seem to be non stock items with big MOQ's/lead times  :)

Chris the 33k panas will be fine
  • They look similar spec wise considering my extremely limited knowledge. think i will order some . :)
  • I don't think Chris wants 160 of them - or am I missing something?
    I did say they seem to be non stock items with big MOQ's/lead times  :)

Chris the 33k panas will be fine
    I did miss something!
  • You didn't Dave, i spoke to Paul about bigger caps for my amp and 33000uf are the only ones available in small quantities. If the bigger ones were available i would order as Paul thinks they improve an already excellent amp. Got some Tq black speaker cables and they are also great.
    Can't imagine how good the ultra and graphite's are.
  • The Ultra Blacks and Graphites are fan-bleedin'-tastic! :-)
  • Any other caps or resistors i could look at improving while doing the reservoir caps.
    Chris
  • Hi Chris, I have changed all electrolytic caps, even the small values