most pleasing upgrade!

edited June 2014 in Systems
So, I have been perfectly happy with my Yahama DSPAX763 and B&W 601s for more years than I care to name, when along comes a certain Doc Foster tempting me with the promise of his fine equipment. What girl could resist?    ;-)
With absolutely no confidence in my own ability to install anything electrical without either polarising myself or electrocuting the equipment (I think it's that way round), I left myself completely in Ben's hands. I am a little concerned that I seem to have a few bits and pieces left over, but I'm sure they're not important.... 
[-O<  

ALso, I have been absolutely sworn to secrecy to definitely not ever to reveal to anyone that I dont have matching cables for my speakers. SShhh, I know my secret's safe with you guys!

So, I am now the proud and very happy borrower of the just too beautiful, pimped (or is that tweaked) Claymore Inca Tech and a set of fine JPW P2s. I had tried these out at Ben's in the past (see previous thread) and been most pleased, preferring it in fact the original combo we'd considered of the NVA AP30 and JPWs. But I wasnt sure how well it would work out at my place, especially as I'm seriously considering getting rid of my bluray player to move to just having my beloved TT and playing everything else through the computer. We tried this out yesterday and, at first, using my current media software, Ben was not impressed by the results. BUT, once we'd downloaded JRiver, the sound transformed. Much rounder and fuller. My ignorant, naive self really hadnt realised what difference this would make. Conclusion... Ben (aka Doc): "not disappointed", Helen (aka Suzy6toes): "funkin' chuffed".
The Claymore is ludicrously loud compared to what I'm used to - and I bloody love it!! I have no room left in my tiny living room now for my precious rocking chair, and the water in my aquarium is seriously pulsing with the bass (forget Rastamouse, I have Rastafish!).

I just think this Claymore is so perfectly beautiful. That's the girl in me! The fact that I cant resize images is also the girl in me, I'm afraid!!

Displaying 20140628_094345.jpg
My fab JPWs (too big to fit on my shelves as my B&Ws did) and relegated rocking chair

Thank you, Ben. I'm a very happy gal! Now all I need to do is persuade my cats to join me for some hardcore living room groovin'.

Comments

• I'm glad it worked out so well. :-)
    And yes, the results were impressive.
    (And thanks for not mentioning i temporarily broke your pc.)
    I think the jpw are ap1 actually. I looked into it and forgot to tell you.
    (I can't see the photos. And, i'd like to.) You need to upload them to a photo hosting site (photobucket or flikr) first...
  • I love your optimism that you think I know what that means ;-) Don't worry I'll find out.
  • edited June 2014

(if that works it'll be a bleedin' miracle)

(EDIT by mod DF: Consider the miracle performed... (You copied the email link to your pics rather than the 'direct' link. Otherwise, good.)

• Well done. :-)
    The pics themselves can be embedded if you insert them using the little picture icon.
    I can do this for you (oh the power of the moderator) when i get infront of a pc.
  • Suzy,

That sweet Claymore is a monster and has traveled far and wide.
    So Ben what is you pre now the Claymore has gone walk about?

Col
  • Suzy,

That sweet Claymore is a monster and has traveled far and wide.
    So Ben what is you pre now the Claymore has gone walk about?

Col
    Keep up Col....! ;-)
    http://audiochews.com/discussion/1437/no-pre-amp#latest

Oh, and you never did say what found its way into that Claymore on its travels....
  • "That sweet Claymore is a monster and has traveled far and wide."
    Indeed, I've heard that it's a bit of a wandering troubadour travelling the isles bringing a little audio heaven to all it encounters. A bit like a cat, it seems no-one ever owns it, it just decides to hang out at your place for a wee while before mooching on ;-)
  • Sorry Ben, I have been away in my normal holiday resort watching redhead nurses.
    Suzy feed him good analog music none of the digital lies stuff and he will be like a kitten and stay.
  • seems quite content with a bit of Bill Evans vinyl right now, so you may be right, Colin :-)
  • Which Bill Evans, may I ask?
    My money's on the MDQ one...

(This could be the latest 'chews gameshow idea: "Which Bill Evans?"
    Contestants attempt to correctly identify a Bill Evans based on a succession of clues.)

My money's on the MDQ one...

(This could be the latest 'chews gameshow idea: "Which Bill Evans?"
    Contestants attempt to correctly identify a Bill Evans based on a succession of clues.)

Mandy's Donkey Quacks?
  • MDQ: Miles Davis Quintet...?
  • Oh, I see. We're talking about a Miles album?
  • I don't know.
    We seem to be moving on to a whole new show format now...
  • I'm lost!
  • Everybody Digs Bill Evans.

That's the album name, not a general statement of fact. I have to lay this, and much much more, at the door of Radio 6. One of the Sunday programmes closes with Peace Peace every week.

Anyway, it's a BET rather than MDQ ;-)

Can I just say, I'm always nervous about posting on this site (not enough to stop me mind!) in case I say something really stupid or dont understand anything anyone is talking about....and then I look at the threads and realise they ALL end in total incomprehensibility ( I will remind you of the custard cream speaker stands) 
  • Don't be scared. We are very nice - except to people who aren't nice (if you see what I mean).

Shall I let you into a secret? They're supposed to end in incomprehensibility. Are you a I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue Fan? Think Mornington Crescent but on a hi-fi forum ;-)

I think EDBE is his first album under his own name - certainly one of the first few.

Peace Peace is lovely. Do you have any other Bill Evans?
  • Suzy, I always say something stupid the other will back me in that I am sure, especially that rascal Ben,Dave, Alan and other aliens here, but life is so funny at times and to short to care.
    Oh try Philip Glass some amazing music, and the bass on the Claymore is deep and solid.
    I also like Walter Carlos now Wendy Carlos, Bach type music.
  • Hydrogen Jukebox about 10 bars in as I type (sorry, digital) 
    Neighbour seems to be going out a lot since the Claymore arrived, lucky me!
    Will look out some Walter Carlos. Thanks 
    :)
  • Suzy - I think you fit in very well!

Sorry...

;)
  • edited June 2014
    Can I just say, I'm always nervous about posting on this site (not enough to stop me mind!) in case I say something really stupid or dont understand anything anyone is talking about....and then I look at the threads and realise they ALL end in total incomprehensibility ( I will remind you of the custard cream speaker stands) 
    Here's a photo of an isolation platform I'll be using under my media PC...

• That takes the biscuit!
  • I use strawberry jelly with chocolate buttons, and to tune it I have eat bits of it everyday.
    And Suzy, Claymore's hate digital honest it makes them sick.
    Oh Ben you need a bigger cup if your going to dunk.

• Claymores can't stand the truth, Col.

They need everything all warm and cuddly.
  • So do I Dave, and the GG does too, you poison her with digital lies, give he a treat use a cassette has I have you TT he he

• And Suzy, Claymore's hate digital honest it makes them sick.
    You must've messed up this one then Col. It sounded superb fed by JRiver on Suzy's PC... ;-p

• It must be a Sinclair Analog PC , as the fresh fruit type always screw up. With noise filled cooling fans to drown the digital lies.
  • So do I Dave, and the GG does too, you poison her with digital lies, give he a treat use a cassette has I have you TT he he

Nope. The GG is a realist like me :-)
  • "Peace Peace is lovely. Do you have any other Bill Evans?"

Only POrtrait in Jazz, but not on vinyl.  The whole Jazz thing is new to me. It's what happens when you hit 40 I think 
    :-S

And yes, I have listened to Sorry I Havent a CLue since the I was 14 years old. We used to have to go to school on a Saturday morning and would listen to it on the way home. We used to get a lift in our neighbour's Porsche. Sounds cool, but not so much when there are 4 kids crammed into 2 bucket seats. Hifi version of Mornington Crescent an excellent description for you lot!

Have to say, vinyl always hits the spot for me, but am also dead chuffed with my JRiver software. Just uploading Portrait in Jazz as it happens -  Sorry Colin, can you still be my friend??? 
    ;-)
  • The two Bill Evans albums I wouldn't be without are two live ones - Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby. Both from a stay at the aforementioned club in 1961.
  • I will check them out. Can you tell me what is so special about them for you, excepting, of course, the connection of your stay at the Village Vanguard?
  • Not my stay :-)

The band are on fantastic telepathic form. Some people even claim these two albums are the very best by a jazz piano trio, full stop.

They also repay repeated listening like few albums.
  • Clearly they brought a lot to you over the years.
    I'm rather taken by the idea of jazz job description having "telepathic ability" under the "required" column. That would be fab!!
    Have been checking them out on Youtube and enjoying muchly, thank you :-)  Oh dear, my next month's pay packet is gone before it arrives since I started all this hifi lark!!
  • They have. To the extent they overshadow everything else he did, to my ears.

The bass player - Scott LaFaro - died in a road crash not long after, at age (I think) 23. The trio is one of jazz's 'what might have beens'.
  • Maybe that's part of what makes these so special?
  • It is. The thought that they could have gone on to even greater things.
  • Oh dear, my next month's pay packet is gone before it arrives since I started all this hifi lark!!
    Explain...!
    Who has all your money? It's all been gratis! ;-)
  • Roghtraders, Amazon and Uvinyl !

Hey, and that homemade hummous and rough cakes in payment for all your shunting around and wiring up of equipment cost me at least a couple of quid ;-)

Hey, and that homemade hummous and rough cakes in payment for all your shunting around and wiring up of equipment cost me at least a couple of quid ;-)
    The humous was superb.
    So the equipment itself was not worthy of acknowledgement? ;-p
    But fair play... You did supply some booze in a gift bag later.

Vinyl? Vinyl???
  • "So the equipment itself was not worthy of acknowledgement? ;-p"

Eh-hem, see first posting, Doc F!!
    Though, I think I am remiss is saying just how grateful I am to Ben for the lend. Thank you, you're a 
    (*)

Though, I think I am remiss is saying just how grateful I am to Ben for the lend. Thank you, you're a 
    (*)
    Don't you let Ben bully you into grovelling  O:)

(*)
    That's better.