Nva - volume

edited July 2014 in Amplifiers
Hi. I have nva p90, second statement power amp, shahinian arcs, mdac, Mac mini, densen b400 plus. Sounds great but sometimes I want a bit more welly. Even at full volume it is not as loud as I want. So what are my options? Can I just put an active pre in front of the second statement? Is there any issue in doing so? Is there a high output dac which increase the out in to the p90 and therefore presumably give me access to the higher volume I want? Thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Hi Prawne.
    Never tried that. I used a P90SA with a couple of NVA power amps, never tried an active pre-amp...
    I am way out of my comfort zone here, but I believe that NVA have said that their power amps are designed to work with passive pre's (is it that the power amp's circuit already has a gain stage at input or something...?)
    Perhaps NVA would let you know.
  • Hi Sean

As far as I understand it, the TSS will not work with an active pre. The active pre will overload the amp's input.

You have three choices:
    1. A smaller room(!)
    2. More efficient speakers
    3. A more powerful amp (If you like the NVA sound, I may have just the thing! :-) )
  • My advice would be to try the TDS mk. 1