Interest Check: Royd Revelation RR3 with Integrated stands

edited July 2014 in Loudspeakers
Hi all

I can't really believe I'm doing this...

My RR3s may be available soon. They are uniquely talented monitor speakers capable of driving large rooms. They need proper grunt to do it well - don't buy them if you don't have the power (83dB/1W/1M). Crossover point is 4.5khz. They are rated for amps of 40W-100W and sounded rather fine on the end of 80-90 watts of NVA statement amplifier. Proper class A (10 watts+) seem to be the way forward to my ears. I have integrated stands, which in turn are bonded to heavy granite slabs for stability - they are too precious to get knocked over! (these can probably be removed if needed). These speakers are seriously heavy as they are lined with steel plate. They previosuly suffered from reduced tweeter output (this can happen due to a very minimal crossover), so both tweeters were replaced with matching equivalent NOS units (these had almost identical specs but were smoother and slightly more extended than the older units).

Specs indicate the RR3 is capable of 20khz to 20hz, but don't say how many dBs down they are at that point. To be fair, the bass is stupendously low and powerful for a speaker of this size, and is of better quality than that of many larger speakers. They manage to cast a stereo image wider than you have ever heard and disappear like you would not believe, giving a unique window into your music. They aren't all about detail, they are wonderful with texture and timbre, are wickedly fast and completely transparent allowing whatever is driving them to do it's thing. They are monitors, more akin to headphones in some ways given the insight they offer. More specs and a few pictures of these actual speakers on the Royd Audio site, here.

These retailed at £1,300 when new (2001 onwards). I have only seen four pairs available for sale before, I don't think many were made. People probably couldn't get their head around a range with a small floorstander as base model, a larger 2.5 way then a really expensive flagship 2 way monitor!

I think they are worth £800 all day long, but I can't imagine they have appreciated that far. I was hoping for something in the region of £600-650, for which I can deliver within a sensible distance of Eastbourne (up to three hours in any direction except south). Shipping could be available, but without stands. If you want the whole lot and you're abroad, we can talk. This is a chance to own the last and best speakers designed by Joe Ackroyd. In a letter he wrote and gave to owners of RR3s he implied these were the pinnacle of his work.

Please register any serious interest here or by PM, I will likely setup a sale thread in the next week or two.

I will get around to some better pictures soon, if there is demand.

Comments

• Shocked. Simply shocked.
  • Thanks Ben. This is the other letter Joe Ackroyd included with these speakers:

The aim of hi-fi is to reproduce sound as accurately as possible. This means that it must reproduce the correct musical note, at the correct time, for the correct length of time, and as near as is practical at the correct volume. Of course, “correct” means that sound which was on the original recording.

In order to do this, loudspeakers must be critically damped at all frequencies, and have the least possible phase distortion. Phase distortion is a time delay dependent on frequency: the lower the note or frequency, the longer the time delay for the same phase shift.

The Royd Revelation Range is a considerable step forward, compared with any other type of design.

The use of compound reflex bass loading in these loudspeakers reduces the phase shift compared with standard reflex bass loading by more than 75%, and is 3 times less than a closed box or acoustic suspension type cabinet. A transmission line cabinet has more bass distortion than a closed box, because it adds a further 180° phase shift to that produced by a closed box. Compound reflex bass loading also ensures that all bass frequencies are critically damped and that the Revelation range of loudspeakers reproduce frequencies down to 20Hz in the listening room.

The Royd Revelation Range employs first order crossovers. This type of crossover produces the least possible phase distortion, and introduces no other distortions or resonances.

All models perform at their best with high quality amplification.
  • edited July 2014
    This is the setup guide he produced:

Royd
    ============ ROYD LOUDSPEAKER CO. LTD. ============
    Unit B2, Stafford Park 15, Telford, Shropshire, TF3 4BB
    Telephone: Telford (01952) 290700
    Fax: (01952) 290190

TO: OWNERS OF THE ROYD REVELATION RANGE LOUADSPEAKERS – RR1 RR2 RR3

A FEW WORDS ABOUT SETTING UP.

The ROYD Revelation Range of loudspeakers achieve previously unattainable levels of sound reproduction quality and accuracy. As a result of this the correct set up procedure varies considerable from other manufacturers recommendations.

A new standard of imaging and reproduction of stereo width and depth perspectives is now possible with the Revelation loudspeakers. The absence of cabinet ‘signature’ and extraordinarily neutral tonal balance is another distinguishing aspect of the sheer musicality.

It is accepted lore that positioning two loudspeakers a greater distance from each other than from the ideal central listening position is wrong. This is not the case with the new ROYD models which will appreciably benefit from being positioned much further apart, in face up to twice as far.
    • The ports on the sides of the speaker enclosures should face each other.
    • The loudspeakers should be angled in such a way that a centre line projected forward from each enclosure crosses at, or just behind the ideal listening position.
      The correct distance from the wall behind the speakers is best determined with a little patient experimentation, the object being to obtain a clean bass. Begin this procedure by positioning the loudspeakers so that there is about 20cm from the wall behind each enclosure.

If bass appears excessive carefully move both speakers forward a few centimetres at a time. When the bass reproduction seems more natural and free from ‘overhang’ you will have found the correct position. If possible some absorbent material, (curtains, books on shelves, upholstery or other soft material) should be behind the listening position and if possible the listening position should be at least 60cm from the rear wall.

Please bear in mind that this procedure may take some time but the results will more than justify your efforts.

Good luck and good listening.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very cool, and very British when a loudspeaker designer wishes you "Good luck" when positioning a loudspeaker. "Darling, I may be gone for some time. Tell the children daddy loves them..."
  • You're about to make someone very happy...! :-)
  • OMG!

Make an orderly queue, folks. These are very special speakers.
  • Tempting !

I've got my AP's up for sale, as really do need something smaller
  • Tempting !

I've got my AP's up for sale, as really do need something smaller
    They sound great with Col's Class As, of course.
  • edited August 2014
    Looks like these are provisionally sold.
  • Well done!
  • Thank you. I'm happy/sad at the same time.

I have proved to myself I made the right decision but I'm still second guessing myself. I'll just have to prove it again!
  • Thank you. I'm happy/sad at the same time.
    Ambivalence.
    Very self-aware of you Alan. :-)