Waiting on a BIG box from the West!

It's 10:30 am and frustratingly I have to take my Daughter swimming.  That's not a chore in itself but what is frustrating is I am leaving the house and I might miss the delivery of a new Iridium amp.
I have been reading Alan and Paul's Wonfor class A threads with great interest and finally grew some balls and took the plunge.  

Hopefully I will be able to post my findings later on tonight, if I miss the delivery it will be Monday. So watch this space !

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Paul have you got your hijack kit ready?

• It didn't arrive today, Monday it is then.
  • Maybe hijacked near Hainault Essex.
    Shame wished you had got it and had a hotter weekend 
    :-D
  • No probs.
  • The Eagle has landed!
    Bugger me it's a big 'un.  Had a quick listen, but I must get through a HUGE pile of work before I can sit down to it about 10:30 tonight.
  • No that a small one, an baby A Class.
  • No that a small one, 
    Thats what she said last night !
  • Bad man  >:-)
  • Are you still listening Sov?
  • Yes I am, quite blown away by it really. I have never heard anything like it.
    I have a problem with my DIY xovers so I can only play music at medium to quiet levels but even then this amp just does it, everything you would want from hifi and music is right there in front of you.
  • I'm really glad you're liking it.

I hadn't heard anything like it either!
  • I think you will continue to enjoy it , there is something that is right about the seca, don't ask what!
  • Even at low volume it is good.
    The first thing I noticed was a whole load more bass, secondly I noticed detail like I have never heard, then once I settled down I heard a huge and wide sound and a real intimacy with the music.
    Just need to sort my xovers out so I can turn up the wick a bit.
  • I think you will continue to enjoy it , there is something that is right about the seca, don't ask what!
    There is definitely something right about these amps.

Maybe we should start a thread to try to define what it is ;-)

There are enough Class A users here these days.
  • Yes I am, quite blown away by it really. I have never heard anything like it.
    I have a problem with my DIY xovers so I can only play music at medium to quiet levels but even then this amp just does it, everything you would want from hifi and music is right there in front of you.
    Another Wonfor "A" Team member...?

"Fur 'chews it iz ze only vay!"
  • What a lovely amplifier James, enjoy it! But look after it as well.

• Colin - what have you done to us?
  • It is a bug and catching, only a few people are immune, Naim Lovers and Reverse AVN lovers and the dead.  >:-)
  • Dave the funny face posties seem to have gone for a escape run via a tunnel maybe.
  • It is a bug and catching, only a few people are immune, Naim Lovers and Reverse AVN lovers and the dead.  >:-)
    These ones prefer excessive PRAT & no bass, don't worry about them...
  • I spent two hours last night building a new crossover to my right speaker, interestingly Paul, RFC, said it should only take 20 minutes! Glad I don't do this for a living ;-). Thanks again Paul for your patience!
    I'm only mentioning this as it has allowed me to turn up the Iridium amp and let it stretch it's legs.
    managed to have another hifi session last night, I still can't believe how natural and lifelike this amp is , bass soooo very deep, mid range so effortless and tangible and the top end so bloody detailed, airy and not a harsh edge any where. And the whole presentation is VERY wide and deep.
    I have been using a T amp for a few weeks now as my big class a/b amp has been broken, I should be able to get it fixed in a couple of weeks then I'll be able to compare the iridium with something real world and what has been a bloody good reference amp.
  • Well done on getting the crossovers sorted James...great effort.  If I said 20 minutes, it was tongue in cheek!  Hope the diagram helped and by the sounds of it you've sussed the phase correctly on connections to the drivers now.  Enjoy the amp!
  • edited June 2014
    Paul, RFC, said it should only take 20 minutes!
  • Bump How are you getting on James? 
    AA
    ~O)
  • Good mate I'm away at the moment camping in the rain ;-)
    Overall I'm really enjoying the amp, but I am really wanting to get my big SS amp up and running as a reference point so I can really see how the iridium compares.
    It is very obvious what the Iridiums strengths are which I found after the first day of using the amp as I have stated earlier. Give me a week and I should be able to get the old girl up and running
  • Still really enjoying this incredible amp, I had no idea an amp could improve an already great sounding system so much.and just to top it all of I found another great musician tonight , but I can't remember his name.....bloody hell I must be getting old
  • This has been a long time in coming, but I have finally had the chance to put by big NVA TSS amp into my system to remind myself of it's sound. I had been looking forward to the is moment for a while, but also a wee bit anxious as I had invested a lot of money in the Iridium and had to really make sure it was money well spent, if I found I liked the TSS more I would be able to re invest a few grand back into my bank account.  I had previously put the TSS amp up against some cracking amps in the past, both valve and solid state and always came back to it as I just couldn't find anything to beat it.
    I had been listening to Guy Barker for about 30 minutes or so through the class A Iridium amp and really enjoying the fast paced peppy jazz.
    I swapped out the 18W Class A for the 90W A/B amp and I immediately lost the bottom third of the bass notes, the instruments were far less 3D and somehow more bland and uninteresting.  When listening through the Iridium to Guy Barker I had made a few mental notes of sections of the music I would look out for when I changed amps as a good comparison.  When I put the class A/B amp in the system, I listened to the whole 10 minute Guy Barker track and missed all four markers, the music was far less interesting and involving.
    Don't get me wrong, the TSS is still an absolute cracker of an amp, but compared to the Iridium it sounded like I was listening to stand mount speakers rather than my 5 foot full range open baffles. I began to listen less critically and began to enjoy the TSS amp, I flicked through a few familiar albums and got into the groove of the music. After a while, the 18W class A was put back in the system and I was imediately treated with the deep deep solid bass I had grown used to for the last few months, both voices and instruments regained their texture and realism and my music seemed to go from 2D to '4D' ! I am listening to a cello right now and it is very full bodied indeed. 

For me the Iridium really brings you a BIG full range, pinpoint detailed, full bodied, well timed, highly textured, musical presentation. Everything seems very intimate and very life like, and totally three dimensional. 
  • edited August 2014
    Sounds like your bank account's staying as is... :-)
    (My recent choices have been similar, and the words i would use to explain my choices would be pretty much identical to yours Sov!)
  • I am glad you like it Geoff and I at TQ worked hard to get the sound right, I often watched him has the bass rattled him of the sofa.
    Try some Philip Glass.

Have fun best Col
  • I think you've been through what many of us have over the past couple of years, James. Colin has been scattering fairy dust over his Class As (I've just had a picture flit through my mind that is just a little upsetting ;-) ).

Even the little Green Goddess does some of those bass things (but not on the scale of the Iridium), but most of the detail and realism is there.

Try Jah Wobble and Evan Parker's Passage to Hades :-)