Colin's new SECA amp kits

This discussion was created from comments split from: Get news of Colin Wonfor's SECA Amplifier Kits.

Comments

• Think I signed up, although only received the first email
  • No news has been sent out yet.

We're awaiting further information from Colin.
  • OK guy case work done will post pic soon, so get you pennies ready.
  • Due to unforeseen circumstances all my dreams and future plans for designs have been put on hold.
    This also has a massive impact on my everyday and personal life.
    If circumstance change I will revisit these ideas, meanwhile I like to thank you all for you help and support over the last few ages.
    And wish you all the best.

Regards

Colin J. Wonfor
  • edited September 2014
    Sounds like a set back.
    You take care of yourself Mr. W.
  • Sorry to hear that. Keep well Colin.
  • Sorry to hear that Col.  Look after yourself and I sincerely hope that you can get back to tinkering in what you enjoy most.
  • Push through Colin
    Your speaker cable and amplifier designs are just incredible. The A class SECA I use has been a real game changer for me.  Even if you don't do it commercially, make sure you keep tinkering.

• OK guys the kits are on again a friend is going to finance the start of the kits.
    Thanks friend.
    So watch this space, yipeee fun again.

• Pleasing to read such excited enthusiasm for your product Mr. W. :-)

But, what's this...? "Here we have a...rather ugly and bulbous stereo power amplifier".
    How very dare they.
    Another interesting article.
    Explain "interesting" please Colin...
  • OK guys the kits are on again a friend is going to finance the start of the kits.
    Thanks friend.

This is great news Colin! :-)
    For lots of reasons!
  • Also note Ben the new MD
  • Also note Ben the new MD
    "Interesting"...
  • Pleasing to read such excited enthusiasm for your product Mr. W. :-)

But, what's this...? "Here we have a...rather ugly and bulbous stereo power amplifier".
    How very dare they.
    Another interesting article.
    Explain "interesting" please Colin...
    The good Captain would no doubt say 'Fast and bulbous', he would.
    Thanks friend.

That's good news, Col.
  • Great news Colin.  
  • Dave , I still cant log onto the list . Can you help, cheers ears !
    Well Done CW!

• James. Can you PM me your e-mail address and I'll add it manually.
  • Hi Dave, I also am not getting the info concerning Colin's new equipment kits
  • Hi Mark (and everyone)

Colin updated me a couple of days ago that although they're designed and ready to go, he had had a couple of backers who have, er, backed out.

There hasn't been anything to say except a lot of stops and starts in the background.

I'll let everyone know when there is some good news.

Cheers

Dave
  • New purpose built workshop started to be built this week. Yipee.  :D
  • Thanks Col. Good luck.
  • I would have let you set up shop in my bunker, no rent needed, just a steady stream of good kit  <:-P
  • No James, Dr Nefario needs a Positively evil lair, not just any old bunker!

All the best Col!
  • That's the spirit Colin, shine on you crazy diamond
  • Excellent news. Hope all goes well Col.
  • I want a pair please Dr Wonfor
  • A pair of what AC?
  • A Stereo pair to bi-amp UM
  • Bi amping, that's the spirit! oodles of massively overspecced SECA loveliness.

FWIW, I used to run 83 dB @ 1W/1M mini monitors on a 10 SECA stereo amp and it was fine even across a large room.

Now I use 27W SECA mono blocks into 92 dB floor standing speakers and I definitely recommend the overkill approach. Much more room for dynamics.
  • Bi amping, that's the spirit! oodles of massively overspecced SECA loveliness.

FWIW, I used to run 83 dB @ 1W/1M mini monitors on a 10 SECA stereo amp and it was fine even across a large room.

Now I use 27W SECA mono blocks into 92 dB floor standing speakers and I definitely recommend the overkill approach. Much more room for dynamics.
    Now thats just willy waggling !!!, By all means, crack on.
    I'm well up for an amp build.
  • edited January 2015
    Put your maggots away boys...
    38 Watts (4 ohms) of Wonfor single ended Class A into 95dB here... ;-p
    (Tho he gloatingly tells me both of your amps *sound* (even) better than my Toca. Never trust the specs alone...)

Maybe "fine", but 10W isn't enough for RR3s, did you ever use the 27W ones with the Royds?

Maybe "fine", but 10W isn't enough for RR3s, did you ever use the 27W ones with the Royds?
    12 watts is plenty for RR3s in a 27ft room. Class A watts are a bit strange and powerful.
  • Ditto that.

Neil, you would be really, really surprised how far those ten (Wonfor) Watts go. Further by far than 90 or so NVA statement Watts did.

• Ditto that.

Neil, you would be really, really surprised how far those ten (Wonfor) Watts go. Further by far than 90 or so NVA statement Watts did.

And, because the Class As sound so clean, you can drive them VERY LOUD without feeling the system is complaining. It's all very rule-rewriting.
  • It is. Also, when they do finally clip they generally go of a sudden, without a gradual hardening of the sound or becoming 'loud'.
  • edited February 2015
    Ditto that.

Your right Alan. I have the very TSS 90w NVA you refer to. A cracker of an amp, but my 18W Iridium really is the business, many many watts less but it fills the room with BIG detailed and controlled music. It still impresses me 9 months later

• Yup. It's a bigger, ballsier sound with warmth and presence, and just extraordinary levels of detail and nuance. That's not to say that the NVA statement is poor by any means but the SECA amp makes most things sound ordinary. That's how I heard it anyway.

Neil, one of the special things about the SECA is the way it uses it's power and finally runs out of puff. It sounds big and glorious without hardening as it goes louder, unlike other solid state which just sounds loud and hard when pushed, almost like the system is shouting. The SECA just holds its nerve, before dropping off a cliff. I could run the RR3s at just over 85dB in room without a problem even on dynamic pieces. You'd always know when you've exceeded max volume because it crackles through the speakers on peaks.

BTW, this cannot damage speakers, according to Col, as the extraordinary damping factor of his SECA topology remains formidable even during clipping. So you hear truly accurate clipping! ! :-D seriously, think about it. An amp which controls the speaker perfectly even when pushed past it's limits. Wonderful stuff.
  • I've taken my amp to about 100dB haven't found its limit yet, if I went any louder I would have to wear a defenders :-)
  • Yeah. I can quite believe that. As I've said before, even through the RR3s, an Iridium had the speakers and stands rocking backwards and forwards at my last place (we had a concrete floor) and no sign of clipping.
  • edited February 2015
    I concur.
    I've posessed a number of variously powered amps. Wattage rarely appears to be a defining characteristic. I0 years ago I owned a Musical Fidelity A3.2 that I think was 115W per channel. Then a pair of NVA A80 monos (80 watts?) that sounded better. Then an NVA TSS (unknown wattage) that sounded better, then an Inca Tech ID25 Class A (25 watts) that sounded better, then a TOCA SECA 20 (20 watts) that sounded best.
    I like to listen loud. No problems with any of the above (my speakers are 4 ohms (into which the SECA rises to 38 watts) and fairly sensitive, mind).
    Oddly I also own an Inca Tech Claymore (currently on loan to Suzy6toes). That is a bizarrely loud amp. It's rated at *only* 50 Watts (though Colin did things to it. Unspeakable things). Hard to push the dial beyond 25%. By far the *loudest* amp I've owned. Physically tiny too. Not sure how all these numbers contribute to perceived *loudness* with a given set of speakers... :-/ Certainly not as simple as naked watts...
  • Tell 'em to cover themselves up, Ben. They're not a pretty site :-O
  • The claymore has a fairly high gain pre section I think.  I've reduced the gain on mine, and also repurposed the mute switch as a passive/active pre switch.  So in passive mode the input selector goes straight to vol pot and then to power amp.  That gives much more travel on the vol pot, although it never goes above 12 o'clock.   In active mode there's less usable vol range, even with the gain reduced.
  • The claymore has a fairly high gain pre section I think.  I've reduced the gain on mine, and also repurposed the mute switch as a passive/active pre switch.  So in passive mode the input selector goes straight to vol pot and then to power amp.  That gives much more travel on the vol pot, although it never goes above 12 o'clock.   In active mode there's less usable vol range, even with the gain reduced.
    Makes complete sense all round.
    Thanks for that!