Raptor joins RFC line up...first impressions?

Just thought I'd share the sneaky peak first pictures of RFC's latest design, the Reference Raptor, so-called for its aggressive styling (there's a reason behind the shape) and to poll the question:

"Given a choice of four veneers, name your four favoured veneer finishes for these"

This pair will be finished in oak for the customer (initially they were to be Red Cherry but minds understandably change).

Size is just over 500mm tall by a svelt 245mm wide and 350mm deep.  They heft in on the scales at close to 15Kg per speaker.

Frequency range is impressive...F3 response is 32 Hz to over 20KHz.  In-room (with room reinforcement) they dip to below 30Hz.  Not bad for a 7 inch driver.

Drivers in this pair are Scanspeak Revelator and Illuminator tweeter ("SE" spec model.  Standard will use the excellent Satori Tweeter)

Your thoughts?

Comments

• A broad grained American Oak, possibly a washed out hue, with a blue to grey leather padded baffle.

Striking, if a little different.
  • A piano-finish light purply grey with dark blue grille.
  • I prefer light and neutral finishes. Just my taste.
    That said, darker wood finishes often look more "pricey" to me. Probably the crude association in my head to antique furniture.
  • On second thoughts, maybe Parma ham on the cabs and rolled marzipan baffles?
  • Generally Paul, one thing that I have liked about all of your speakers is that before hearing them, their appearance has suggested to me that in the design process sound was prioritised over cosmetics. The 2 plane angled front panel in this case. It makes me think "Aha. Interesting..." :) .
    Another thing I have liked is their sound ;) . If I hadn't liked the sound, I would have looked back at their appearance and thought "Hmm. Interesting..." :( .
    Looking forward to hearing these.
  • PACPAC
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I've taken a fair few comments from visitors, visiting enthusiasts and forum enthusiasts.  General consensus seems to be:

Oak (crown cut);
    Red Cherry (ubiquitous?)
    Walnut;
    Rosewood;
    Sycamore.

Personally, I think that Sycamore is little different to a well finished Birch (ply) so would probably offer a ripple Sycamore (as per the Fidelios) sometimes referred to as Flame Maple.

I have considered automotive style piano lacquers but to do well, it's an expensive process which I'm unsure adds value except for expensive aesthetics (the option will always remain open for those wanting it though).  Each pair takes one sheet equivalent (4 ft by 8 ft) of premium veneer and adds 3 days labour to the build so around £500 extra would be the estimate for a first class veneered finish.  Personally, I think it's worth the extra IF I can keep build costs to a reasonable level.  Bearing in mind that the drivers are circa £140 each, crossovers are top spec (you'd pay a small fortune for other commercial equivalents) I reckon I can keep them competitive with the competition (read a fraction of the cost).

You're very observant Ben and there are indeed sound reasons for the shape and driver layout so it was a case of form following function but I happen to think they're also aesthetically a little different and pleasing on the eye.

Sonically you'll soon have a chance to evaluate them, but I do have some minor tweaks to so.  Bass tuning needs lowering a tad to reduce a 40hz hump.  Bass is phenomenal for their size...better than most slim floor standers in fact.  Without wanting to reveal too much at this stage, there is another design trick up their sleeves which places the listener uncannily in the mix more than many.  It lends a different and addictive side to their listening experience which is both revealing and ties one to the music.  It'll be interesting to get your thoughts Ben.