More speakers...

Wharfdale Shelton XP2 this time
(Wanted some smaller units in the collection)...
Not too bad at all. Sound promising, tho treble a bit harsh...
Maybe a summer jaunt to RFC towers for a crossover rejuvenation...?

Comments

• If you can drop 'em off Ben I can test them to see if they need any crossover work.  It's usually just caps if required, so a minor job.
  • edited May 2015
    Lovely.
    Could be a Wharfdale double header with the Glendales. :)
    Just plugged the Goodmans back in...
    Crikey, you did a job on those Paul!
  • If you can drop 'em off Ben I can test them to see if they need any crossover work.  It's usually just caps if required, so a minor job.
    Ok, can someone please explain to a dunce, in words of 2 syllables or fewer, what this means and what it will achieve?
  • Caps make anything look and sound cool. Especially when worn backwards. If Paul thinks a pair of shades will help further, then he'll stick a pair of those in too.
    Simples.
  • Words of 3 and 4 syllables there. I'm confused   :-S

Does this headware need to be eaten if it doesnt work out? 
    ;))
  • PACPAC
    edited May 2015
    Yes, you need to be wearing a fashionable cap to make decent music...haven't you ever seen Gregory Porter play?  He has a cool cap.

"Cap" = capacitor.  These are used in crossover filters.  In the signal path for the HF they protect the tweeter against low frequencies and also roll response in at 6dB/octave from a frequency point dependant upon the tweeter impedance and capacitor value.  As well as capacitance, they have an equivalent series resistance.  In electrolytics this can be typically 0.1 to 0.3 Ohms depending on type.  When electrolytics get old, the electrolytic oil they use tends to dry out and the ESR figure rises (I have measured ESR at over 3 ohms on some older ones).  They can also be used between positive and ground return rails after an inductor (2 pole) to steepen rolloff and again, higher ESR will affect roll off slope and sensitivity (the opposite way this time).

What this does is 1) to act as an in-line resistor robbing the tweeter of sensitivity but it also alters the crossover point affecting relative phase with the mid woofer/squalker.

In a nutshell, old caps are cheap ( a pound or two each) and for anything much older than 15 years, all you need do is replace these to restore factory settings for the design.

• Ah Paul, thank god someone sensible out there!
    Now, you are slightly over-estimating my knowledge in this area (I have none! I should point out to you that I do not commonly fail exams, but I have NEVER managed to pass a single Physics exam and I took my driving test 4 times!! I think that will give you a clearer picture of what you're working with here!!). However, with the help of wikipedia (!) I think I've got a handle on some of this. Thank you. Just don't set me an exam paper on it 8-|
  • No worries, as the most important qualification an enthusiast needs is to be able to hear and enjoy music.  The mechanics of what makes it all work is not something everyone wants or needs to understand although a little understanding can help when system building. 
  • I find knowledge irresistible and appreciate having the excuse to discover something out of my field. So am grateful to you  :D
  • I find knowledge irresistible and appreciate having the excuse to discover something out of my field.
    Fair play. This is true.
    =D>