Audiophile Software - just like bloody cartridges!

edited January 2011 in Digital
Since I've had to give my Mac mini G4 the elbow and substitute one or other of my laptops running Snow Leopard, I've been caught up in comparing different audiophile alternatives to iTunes. 

They all beat iTunes, but they all have their UX and sonic pros and cons. I now have a line of software icons, just like the analogue mob have a Decca This and a Denon that. And, just like them, I'm finding I can enjoy most of the options, but choosing my favourite is difficult.

It seems things can be bit-perfect without being sonically so.

Comments

• It gets worse.  With each new release your preference can change.
  • I've gathered that from some of the comments about Amarra over at Computer Audiophile.

Back to spending too much time on the means rather than enjoying the end 
    :-(
  • edited January 2011
    Hopefully not.  I used PM for quite some time before the latest Amarra Mini 2.1.1 which in my set up is the best sounding at the moment.  I'm in no hurry to change it, as it's stable and does everything I want.

It's a lot less trouble to flick from one to another than change cartridges.
    :-)

Steve

• Decibel is the best on mine, at least none of the others can quite summon up a better case for me using them - although, as I said elsewhere, Amarra seems to not like my files being on the network, so I can't really try it out without moving some noisy hard discs into my listening room and/or making some changes that I think will be impractical. 

Sadly, I think it's really ruled itself out.

You're right about the ease of swapping, though. None of those screwdrivers and balances.
  • edited January 2011
    I use a MacBook maxed for audio.  I can't hear the disc and frankly can't be bothered with anything more complicated storage wise.  My music is backed up elsewhere and the direct connection to my Firewire DAC has proved absolutely reliable.  More so than some of my friends using headless Minis and the like.  I enjoy Decibel and Audirvana more than iTunes, but both PM and Amarra allow me full use of 'Remote' on the iTouch in addition to the sonic differences.
  • I have just too many files to put on either MacBook - three-year-old White with 500GB storage or November 2010 MacBook Air with 128GB storage - so I need the external array. 

I need to return to PM and give it a good try out with more source material as Remote is a big plus. It's part of the UX problem with Decibel and Audirvana.
  • David Hi, I don't quite understand ,Amarra doesn't see your files?
    How do you store them which interface do you use, I tunes?
    Keith.
  • Hi Keith

iTunes' library and files are on a Drobo attached to my office machine using Firewire 800. 

When I run Amarra, an error message says it (iTunes) can't find a valid library. When I choose 'select a library' (or something similar, as opposed to 'create a library'), I can reconnect iTunes to its library on the Drobo and it can see all the files and cover artwork. Trouble is, when I try to play a file, it either doesn't start, or stops after one second :-(
  • Dave Hi, I see the Drobo is a known issue, but I thought they had cured it, can you connect the Drobo via a firewire port, it's something to do wit hthe way the Drobo grabs the USB bus.
    vb Keith.
  • It is connected to the iMac in the office via Firewire 800. The network is wi-fi 'n' standard and streams no problem at all using other software. 
  • I will ask Sonic technical department to have a look, hang on, Keith.
  • Thanks Keith
  • Re storage on Macbooks, the unibody Macbok Pro range will take the slightly fatter 1TB 2.5" drives.
    I fitted one to a 13" MBP about six months ago and no longer need external storage, other than for backup.

Not having to pull data from an external drive if you use wireless streaming reduces pressure on the network.
  • Thanks for that, Rob. An interesting alternative to what I think I've decided will be my storage strategy for 2011.

I have a White MacBook, about three years old that I'm going to bung an SSD in so that hopefully approaches the sound quality of my new MacBook Air. The White is replacing my old Mac mini G4.

1TB isn't enough for all my digital files, even if I could get a 1TB drive in the old MacBook. My plan is to plug a 2TB NAS into the AirPort Extreme and use the Drobo just for backup until I can afford a network-enabled Drobo, when the 2TB NAS will be used for Time Machine on my office iMac, to replace the 1TB drive that is rapidly filling. 

The Extreme is in the same room as the hi-fi, so I'll even have the option of running an Ethernet cable to see if there's any advantage in that.
  • Have you compared the merits of ethernet vs wireless Dave? I saw some doubts expressed on CA about the ability of wireless to handle hi-rez material, but I do not know if they were discussing 'n' networks.

I don't currently have an 'n' router, but I did experience drop-outs when wireless. I think the Mcmini has rather a poor wireless receiver, as it is a lot slower to load internet pages than either of my laptops, and it has a reasonably open location.

I found too that with 'memory play' wireless took too long to load tracks - up to a minute for long tracks even at redbook! Having said that, with some of the 10 min tracks at 192kHz, it can take almost 30 secs over ethernet. Theoretically, 'n' networks are up to three times faster than standard 100mps ethernet so that may be the answer. Or, I could check to see if the mac & NAS are gigabit compatible (I suspect at least one of them isn't).
  • edited January 2011
    I get more than a little irritated by all these people who claim you can't stream audio files over 802.11n networks.

In my experience, it depends entirely on the quality of your 'n' router. The Apple AirPort Extreme I have is more than capable of handling multiple audio streams simultaneously with no hiccups. A previous Belkin wasn't. Moreover, the Extreme gives me full 20Mbs broadband, while the maximum from the Belkin was 8Mbs. My theory (about brontosauruses...) is that they are probably struggling along with the free BB router given to them by their BB provider. Are you using the Sky router?

I used to run the Mac mini with Ethernet, but both MacBooks run over wi-fi, as does the iMac. I haven't done any A/B comparisons using the same server.

• Agree Dave.  No reason why a decent router won't stream.  I've streamed DVDs before now without problem.  Also a decent media player such as Foobar on Windoze also has adjustable buffering for network streaming use.
  • I've streamed DVD and other video files, too.

I have a great deal of time for Apple's networking gear. It works easily and well, even if it isn't the cheapest. But you get what you pay for.
  • Yes, the el cheapo SKY router (re-badged netgear actually). I got me a bargain basement 'n' router of fleabay a while ago (netgear or belkin iirc), but couldn't configure it. It seems to be a known problem with SKY as an ISP, but I plan to switch this year. I'll certainly be prepared to try wireless properly then.
  • I think you're right about Sky.  I have Sky as an ISP now in the new place.  The logon is way different to all other ISPs I've ever configured.  I think the firmware in the router is configured to Sky and if you use another router you can't set it up the way they can.

Fine for me I don't need to stream wirelessly.
  • Can't you plug another router into the Sky router using Ethernet?
  • edited January 2011
    They are strange; I have a SKY email address ( which is run by GMail), but I can't get Outlook or Thunderbird to use it. I now get SKY to forward everything to a new GMail address & linked Thunderbird with that right away. Everything you might want to do is dictated by SKY's own software restrictions.

Dave - I probably could, but the NAS is happily connected by Ethernet for now. It has it's own little space in the new cabinet & is silent in the room. When I change ISP I'll address things properly. (Never do anything today that can be put off until tomorrow.)
  • As long as your email provider uses pop or imap (which IIRC they all do) then any email will client will work.  You can then setup a free smtp for sending or use your own computer as a small smtp server.

We have a sky email address because they provide the broadband but we don't use it.  A friend has used Sky BB for years and uses Outlook Express to pull down his email and read it.
  • I'm fine with outlook express on the old XP laptop, but full fat outlook or thunderbird just won't play with the new Windows 7 machine. If I still had the old SKY BB setup disk it might work, but I don't want to install that now, as I'll change ISP this year. 
  • That sounds more like a problem with Windoze 7.  I've got a Win7 machine which runs Thunderbird 3.17 easily enough, so it can work.
  • Did you use the install disc from SKY BB? I can't even find mine anywhere, it must be a bout 4 years old by now. I can't successfully configure IMAP or POP btw.

My workaround will do for now, also a friend who is a programme writer has told me how to import *pst files, so I can transfer contacts etc over.
  • JimJim
    edited February 2011
    No, didn't use install disc.  Both the main laptops here had Linux on them when I configured.  The router came preconfigured so just had to plug it in and go.  Wired connection just works, wireless needs a pwd which is written on the back of the router.

I use Thunderbird to pull all my email in from various accounts and the missus just uses Yahoo webmail.

What's the problem with the pop settings?
  • Dunno? I use the exact same settings from Outlook express on the XP machine, but the Win 7 machine isn't having any of it. The McMini wouldn't play nicely with the SKY email either come to think of it! I've been to SKY's forums as well but had no joy.
    :)]
  • JimJim
    edited February 2011
    Check a few things:

the firewall is allowing port 995 for secure pop or 110 for standard pop

you've got the right name for the pop server - pop.sky.com  watch the full stops and the spelling

absolutely no reason it won't work
  • Will do Jim. I haven't tinkered with firewalls before.