Cheapest new 20 watts integrated amplifier ever...?

edited May 2015 in Amplifiers
£3.59

(£6.18 delivered)

clicky

Comments

• Its cheap for a reason...I wouldn't put that up front of any loudspeaker I owned Ben unless it came with its own disposable speakers!
  • Probly be ok to have in the garden with some cheapo speakers if you having a bbq or something
  • edited May 2015
    Its cheap for a reason...I wouldn't put that up front of any loudspeaker I owned Ben unless it came with its own disposable speakers!
    You're saying that this isn't the amp you use for Raptor demos...? ;)

• Probly be ok to have in the garden with some cheapo speakers if you having a bbq or something
    Sure. In fact I've bought something similar for my son's room. Hifi it won't be!
    Things like this fascinate me. How it can be worth anyone manufacturing, marketing and distributing anything from the other side of the world for £6.18 is beyond me. Cheap parts and labour I'm sure, but what's the cheapest I could send something like that to the Far East?
  • They wouldn't be seen in the same room together Ben  ;)

As above...prob ok for a garden system driven by an MP3 player but (sadly) I still have a boom box from the 1980s somewhere for that!  Limited to the tape collection I have though...XTC/REM/Stranglers/Thin Lizzy/Led Zep/Wishbone Ash/loads of other titles too sad to mention in public 
    :D
  • They wouldn't be seen in the same room together Ben  ;)

As above...prob ok for a garden system driven by an MP3 player but (sadly) I still have a boom box from the 1980s somewhere for that! &nbspthe tape collection I have though...XTC/REM/Stranglers/Thin Lizzy/Led Zep/Wishbone Ash/loads of other titles too sad to mention in public 
    Yes. I notice no mention of Ash on the RFC website. It'd be corporate suicide. :D
  • Shhhhh!
  • You kind of want to buy it, just to see what's possible at that price.
  • PACPAC
    edited May 2015
    It'd be more fun just to build a little Class D circuit, but yes, to sell them at £3.59 and STILL make a profit is quite remarkable (just try buying the casework alone for that) tells you something....Component costs are dead cheap and the circuit's probably very simple plus they churn them out by the thousand.  It's what they don't tell you that worries me.  I've seen a lot of these with no DC offset protection for the outputs and tests on others have shown that they clip well before rated RMS output is achieved.  Either way, I wouldn't be hooking up any speakers that I valued to them.
  • edited May 2015
    The one I bought is this one for £25 delivered...
    I'll stick an SD card with all my 8 year old son's favourite MP3 on it and see what happens.
    It's a system for his bedroom. I'm not expecting great things.
    Rest assured the speakers I'll be initially some ones from an old cheapo micro system. I may possibly move onto using are some charity shop Sherwood Dentons that I picked up cheap. Rest assured no Goodmans Goodwoods will be put at risk. ;)
    It'd be more fun just to build a little Class D circuit.
    If you did it, yes Paul.
    If I did it, this would vastly more dangerous than anything that one could purchase from any dodgy far eastern seller. :D
  • edited May 2015
    OK. The great bake-off...

System 1:
    Sovereign MTBMPS (balanced mains power supply): £650 (new)
    NVA TFS (media PC): £1400 (new)
    TOCA SECA 20 (Class A power amp): £1350 (refurbed)
    Goodmans Goodwoods + RFC mods speakers: £650 (refurbed / new)
    NVA SSP interconnects: £80 (new)
    TQ Ultra Black speaker cable: £350 (used)
    Total: £4480

System 2:
    Cheng Seng Hifi CD MP3 stereo amp (cool gadget (randomly flashing bright LEDs)): £25 (new)
    B&Q speaker cable: £5 (new)
    Wharfdale Shelton XP2 speakers: £20 (used)
    Total: £50

Drum roll please...

• And the result please???

• A bit like comparing a weekend in Paris with a ten minute cup of tea in my garden.
    Neither unpleasant. One obviously preferable.
  • I disagree about any risks with this amp as all the protection is already on the chip.  You can pretty much do what you want; a fault condition = shutdown.
  • System 2! System 2! System 2!!!!
  • edited May 2015
    System 2! System 2! System 2!!!!
    Always supporting the underdog...
    [-O<