Who knows about Network Attached Storage?

edited January 2011 in Digital
As I make progress with streaming audio, I really need to think about some sort of secure file storage for my music files.  My IT skills are enough to know that I need a Network Attached Storage device that does basic RAID, but which ones are recommended?  Looking at Scan 'Puters there are basic twin-HDD devices from D-Link and Netgear which are in a sensible price bracket (not including the HDDs, though).  What I'd really like some advice on is which NAS devices are reliable, easy to set up, quiet and generally suitable for someone who has little interest in the oily bits of computers.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    I can help with some pointers, but I don't have that much direct experience.

I've had a number of Western Digital MyBook drives, which have given me no problems at all. And the Rolls-Royce solution for non-techies wanting RAID-type configurations is a Drobo. Not cheap, but a really stunning piece of kit. I'm saving up for a second one.

I don't have too much time now, bur if no-one else comes up with any better advice, I'll try to give you some more help(?) over the next day or two.
  • I know little, but have a single drive NAS. It is a QNAP 110, 1TB, and is very fast. If I do fill it up, apart from installing a 2TB drive I can piggy back QNAPs to increase capacity. I could probably then do RAID.

Do you definitely need RAID? I have a 1TB Western Digital external drive like the one Dave mentions, with my whole library duplicated in FLAC (see the computer audiophile forum - ripping strategy). If anything happens to the NAS I can easily copy & convert the FLACs into AIFF onto a new NAS using dbpoweramp in about an hour or two.
  • I've never suffered a HDD failure, but if I'm going to spend weeks ripping my CD collection (not to mention purchased downloads) to a NAS drive, then RAID does make sense; and I'd rather avoid the potential for total loss of data.  Your solution with an external drive is one way of ensuring that the data are secured, but (if I'm correct) RAID will do all of the backup dynamically, without me thinking about it.  A second external HDD could actually cost more than an extra HDD in a basic RAID NAS like the Netgear or D-Link.  So, I do believe that a basic RAID NAS is what I need - but recommendations on specific devices would be appreciated. 
  • To be absolutely belt and braces, you shouldn't rely on RAID in case the enclosure goes bang, although I must admit I've been relying on the Drobo for the past few months - do as I say, not do as I do department!
  • I would suggest that you always have several back-ups (and preferably one in a "safe" place). I have three copies of my music (ripped into FLAC), which is really what I would hate to lose the most. One on a Synology DS 209+, one on a big computer drive and one on an external hard disk (Sata). I know that three's a crowd, but I will really appreciate it if something goes wrong. And my NAS is a 2-disk Raid-set-up, but as UG says in the previous post, if the NAS "burns" both disks will burn as well.

I make sure to renew the disks at regular intervals (every three - five years). Just today I bought a new main drive for my computer as I had encountered some minor hard drive errors.

This is my way to try and protect my music and files. You must figure out what will work for you. As simple as possible and as easy as possible usually does it.

Best wishes,
    Peter
  • The offsite aspect is very important.

As I don't currently have a place to stash a physical drive - I'm working on that, though - I use an online backup service called Backblaze to put my backup FLACs in the cloud, out of harm's way. So I'm not relying 100% on the Drobo.
  • I have taken the plunge and ordered the D-Link NAS box, with a pair of Seagate 1TB SATA drives, since they are discounted on Scan Computers' "Today Only" page.  Wish me well!
  • Best of luck @Hugo , I'm sure they will do the job just fine.
    :)
  • Good luck Hugo. Let us know how easy it is to set up.