Sovereign's New 40W SECA Class A

edited June 2015 in DIY

Here is a couple of shots of my new amp boards, well I have had them for a few months now, but I was trying to finish off mods to my DDDAC before I started another project.  As I'm a bit toroidal OTT, I didn't buy the ones I needed off the shelf £28 each but I had them made for me to the same design principle as my MTBPS, so we have 350v a toroids with a 500v a iron, shielded and all the other benefits I asked for, if you look closely you can see that they are loaded with copper, ones you buy off the shelf, never give you the constant reading they specify and are always cheaply made. 
I took the afternoon off work to make a start but I soon realised that Farnel had messed my order up so I didn't have the components needed to make a start, so not a good start really.
I"ll have two aluminium plates cut for me next week ready for me to put between the boards and the monster heatsinks, I am hoping ..........................to have the build producing sound by the end of next week, maybe
;))

Comments

• Dave I'll email you these images, as they never seem to work on chews, maybe my fault
  • I couldn't find your email address Dave so I have emailed them to Ben
  • edited June 2015
    Done and done.
    You're nearly there youself tho... Next time just click the "Direct" link to the right of the image on photobucket and then use the image button here as you are doing.
    ATM, you seem to be double copying the link of something...
  • Back to the subject...
    Where did these boards come from...?
    I'm assuming they're Wonforian...?
  • Thanks Ben
  • Yes I burgled his house late one night
  • So those boards are the new Colin-kits...?
  • No not at all, Colin's kits have only just come off the production line last week, I got these back in April or so.
    Colin's need to comment really, the DIY amps are about 12W these are 40W with a much better PSU, the amp will be a considerable step up from the Iridium I now have.
  • No not at all, Colin's kits have only just come off the production line last week, I got these back in April or so.
    Colin's need to comment really, the DIY amps are about 12W these are 40W with a much better PSU, the amp will be a considerable step up from the Iridium I now have.
    The normal way of doing things is never enough for you, is it James?

:-B
    ;)
  • I don't fancy your electricity bill James!
  • edited June 2015
    I don't fancy your electricity bill James!
    Good point Mark...
    What is the power consumption James?
    My TOCA 20 sticks 38 watts into 4 ohm speakers, but actually puts out a total of 500 watts of power (mostly through heat obviously!)...
    I don't leave it on 24/7!
  • Yes I burgled his house late one night
    What house, some bugger took that also. And where is my bike??? come on James own up  :))
    Solar house Mark, or is it wire to the lamp post mmm
    No the one James in making is a super Iridium, the Kits are far less complex and are not so powerful, the James version is nearly all SMD so not so good for DIY unless you have a stable hand and good eye's.
    The Kits are work and are available a few have already gone with luck I may break even with this bloody tooling cost for small runs is high.
    Good point Mark...
    My TOCA 20 sticks 38 watts into 4 ohm speakers, but actually puts out a total of 500 watts of power (mostly through heat obviously!)...
    200W - 350W channel Ben, depends on what load you want, so 5 channel surround for you home would be good and in the winter warm and cosy.
  • I wouldn't a go at a 40 watter, Do you still have boards Colin? ?
    Good point Mark...
    200W - 350W channel Ben, depends on what load you want, so 5 channel surround for you home would be good and in the winter warm and cosy.
    So, it seems like a selection of seasonal speakers may be called for...
  • edited June 2015
    Had a good crack at it today,mid would have completed one board if Farnel got the order right

• edited June 2015
  • I wouldn't a go at a 40 watter, Do you still have boards Colin? ?

Why not Mark?
  • I think there's a 'mind' missing from Mark's comment James....as in, I wouldn't mind building a 40 watt version.
  • Ah I see, makes more sense. How's your dddac james ?
  • How big will the heat sinks need to be for your 40 watt amp James?
  • edited June 2015
    About this big
  • edited June 2015
    Please see your personalised lesson on getting the most out of image hosting websites... :-)

http://www.audiochews.com/discussion/1610/james-tutorial#latest

I have sorted your pics for the last time...!
    <:-P
  • Very nice James.

Good luck with the build.
  • Thanks there Ben, I was trying every which way but struggling.
    Thanks Paul,
  • If enough people want this set of PCB 3 off I can have some more printed but they are no cheap.
    And the heatsink are about £300 alone and some of the parts are precision, and James is bloody brave to attempt it in my opinion. 
    But I will be happy to help him and other who want to try, I need to get 10 set placed to break even. That is 30 PCB's.
    Next chassis that will have to be your choice and again loads of pennies.

So do not start this project unless you have time and money to build it., Of course it can be built in stages and on cold winter night you could look forward to a toasty amp warming your hearts, could be fun.

Like the photo James.
  • About this big
    Wwhhhaaaatttt tttthhhheee fffffuuu....!!!!! They make Pass amps look like t-amps.

• Ah I see, makes more sense. How's your dddac james ?
    As ever it's a work in progress James. I'm using a Beaglebone Black with a twisted pear audio Cape and reclocker. Working out best way to power this little lot tonight.
  • Great, best DAC I've heard by far, I was about to strip the whole thing down and go for a mega upgrade but I started this little project first ;)
  • About this big
    Wwhhhaaaatttt tttthhhheee fffffuuu....!!!!! They make Pass amps look like t-amps.

Nelson amps are very good but they are not SECA they are Push-Pull A Class and thus produce less heat but have more distortion and in this case do not give the same damping factor results.
    But they do double their output or should with load halving. Oh the BW is less and the slew rate is lower.

• If enough people want this set of PCB 3 off I can have some more printed but they are no cheap.
    And the heatsink are about £300 alone and some of the parts are precision, and James is bloody brave to attempt it in my opinion. 
    But I will be happy to help him and other who want to try, I need to get 10 set placed to break even. That is 30 PCB's.
    Next chassis that will have to be your choice and again loads of pennies.

So do not start this project unless you have time and money to build it., Of course it can be built in stages and on cold winter night you could look forward to a toasty amp warming your hearts, could be fun.

Like the photo James.
    I might be up for this and I know of one other that would be keen

• Heatsink required two off one for each channel.

• Do you know where these can be bought from mate
  • edited June 2015
    Farnell RS or If I get orders for 10 from me cheaper than FEC or RS

• There are x4 new on ebay for 40 quid each
  • Completely accademic question...
    Are these heatsinks the same / similar to the ones in the ID25...?
  • Yep.......
    Why? Are you thinking of breaking the ID25 for spares? :-)
    Why? Are you thinking of breaking the ID25 for spares? :-)
    More a rental service really.
    £1 per sink per week...?
  • edited June 2015
    I find the cost of metal work in the UK and heatsinks costs far too high. I wish somebody like Clark Campion at Southend was still in business and could do a good job, I used them in the time of Pro-AC, Magnum,Dreadnought, Inca Tech and TOCA.
    There must be those skills still here hiding in a backwater somewhere.
  • http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n533/SovereignKing/image.jpg1_23.jpg
    http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n533/SovereignKing/image.jpg1_24.jpg
    There really isn't not a lot to see, most of what I have been working on is all the tiny SMC precision parts, which are about 4mm big. This is not on Colin's new DIY boards but they are on thin one. I have used solder paste in the past and found it far neater, but I wanted to try the normal solder approach this time.
  • Just placed another order with Farnell, some of it is coming from the States, so lets hope I can get this amp producing some tunes soon!
  • More heatsink-erage came in today.

• Big stuff, proper electronics lovely. And no digital lies Dave
  • Just placed another order with Farnell, some of it is coming from the States, so lets hope I can get this amp producing some tunes soon!
    What do you need????

• I have been asked questions on how the two PCB join up, here is drawing that will help.