Colin's Super SECA - not the baby kit

This discussion was created from comments split from: Colin's new SECA amp kits.

Comments

• edited June 2015
    Now working on a super version will be available in a few month after I have tried to kill it. It will out perform the Iridium but it will not be so cheap to make as the baby version now available, parts are silly prices (sorry). It will use the same PSU but will also self generate on the Amp PCB a 2 x Vc drive this will push the dynamics higher and increase the bandwidth to a silly 1MHz, we do filter the input to stop you local Taxi service from wrecking the sound but the amp damping factor will also improve.

And from those out there who commented on the less expensive Amp thanks for your input on construction it has all been implemented. See Pic.

• As long as the heat sinks don't need to be the size of an aircraft hanger I'll be interested :)
    Now working on a super version will be available in a few month after I have tried to kill it. It will out perform the Iridium but it will not be so cheap to make as the baby version now available, parts are silly prices (sorry). It will use the same PSU but will also self generate on the Amp PCB a 2 x Vc drive this will push the dynamics higher and increase the bandwidth to a silly 1MHz, we do filter the input to stop you local Taxi service from wrecking the sound but the amp damping factor will also improve.

And from those out there who commented on the less expensive Amp thanks for your input on construction it has all been implemented. See Pic.

[-O< [-O<
  • Colin, thanks for posting that.  The PCB shown above, is that the super version you mention, or is it a revised version of the KISS amp you've just shipped?  
  • I'm currently building two class A amplifiers and of course I have the Iridium amplifier so very shortly I'll have 3 class A amps yet I still find myself tempted by this one think I may need help.
  • I guess that answers my question then  :D
  • As long as the heat sinks don't need to be the size of an aircraft hanger I'll be interested :)

[-O< [-O<
    Two hangers and water cooled he he
  • Colin, thanks for posting that.  The PCB shown above, is that the super version you mention, or is it a revised version of the KISS amp you've just shipped?  
    No it is much more complex and not for the faint hearted, and the cost because it uses precision parts will cost at least twice as much, but I have not tested the PCB yet it may just go bang and destroy a few hundred pounds of parts. I hope not woooo scary bills.
  • Thanks for the clarification Colin.  I just got a bit confused when you said you'd implemented feedback from builders of the current baby amp - wasn't sure if the image was of a revised baby or the super.
  • edited June 2015
    Colin let me know when you're going to test this new circuit board , i'll make sure I ply up my windows and keep my daughter home from school :D
    No it is much more complex and not for the faint hearted, and the cost because it uses precision parts will cost at least twice as much, but I have not tested the PCB yet it may just go bang and destroy a few hundred pounds of parts. I hope not woooo scary bills.
    Please video the test.
    :-SS
  • Nice. Another project coming on then !
  • How many amps do you have Paul?
  • Half a dozen or so :)
  • Lets see Claymore 5, FMT 1, ID1P 1, Dirk 1, ID25 2,ID50 1, ID75 1, TOCA 4, KISS KITs 2, and not to mention the Krell's and the Naim amps.

But be warn watch out for the "Ginger Guard Cat"

• When's the Colin Wonfor SECA amp Museum opening Paul?
  • What is it about Class A that you like so much Paul?
  • Soon Dave.......entrance fee will be high though :)

I don't think its a Class A thing James, just Colins designs seem to give me the sound I want.

I've heard Krell, Levinston etc and whilst impressive, ultimately they leave me cold, sounding a bit mechanical and lacking the timing/texture in the bass that Colins amps get right.

I wish I didn't like them ! Heat, big expensive power supplies and heatsinks etc, but I must admit I love building the things. Just putting together the little 10w now.
  • I guess I knew the answer as soon as I asked the question. I also love making things I've been into hi-fi for many years but it since I started making stuff a couple years ago that the hobby has really come alive
  • I must agree with Paul on Colin's Class A stuff. 

I actually told Colin I didn't want to hear the Iridium because 'I didn't like any Class A amp I'd heard', of some such hyperbole.

I'm still munching away at my headgear.

I actually told Colin I didn't want to hear the Iridium because 'I didn't like any Class A amp I'd heard', of some such hyperbole.

That's OK Dave I come and take the Green Thing Home I like it.  :D

That's OK Dave I come and take the Green Thing Home I like it.  :D
    So do we!
  • Can I have a go? I'm pretty precise. I mean rather accurate. Well, close enough really.

Col, this looks like fun. Do you think my Heatsinks are big enough?
  • Alan your heatsinks are threatenly big
  • Can I warm my hands on them?  @-)
  • Can I warm my hands on them?  @-)
    Keep coffee warm, and Mead oh and bum.  :D