Sovereign's New 40W SECA Class A

Comments

• Just placed another order with Farnell, some of it is coming from the States, so lets hope I can get this amp producing some tunes soon!
    What do you need????

Hi Colin
    I have it all except the transistors for Q10,11,13, 14,Q2 &Q1
    I though I had ordered them but no show, I'll have to give them a bell
  • edited June 2015
    Wrong page sorry.
  • Colin, how will this compare to the 40W amp I'm now building ?
  • Colin, how will this compare to the 40W amp I'm now building ?
    NO CONTEST YOUR WILL WIN HANDS DOWN.
  • Just setting out the amp and thinking of a case, note to self, think about the size of the overall amp before I have such whopping toroids made ;))

imageimage
  • Put it in a large chest, James (no sniggering in the back  [-X )
  • Just setting out the amp and thinking of a case, note to self, think about the size of the overall amp before I have such whopping toroids made ;))

imageimage
    They are lovely.
    I think a transparent perspex case is the way to go... ;)
  • As per first pic, but turned 90 degrees to keep the width down ?
  • Or like in the iridium
  • If you mount the transformer on top of each other and wire the L & N reverse on one the stray magnetic fields will help to cancel each other.
  • edited June 2015
    imageHere is a picture of the inside of the Iridium incase people haven't seen it.
    I was wanting to keep the heatsinks exposed, not encased like the Iridium as I quite like the look, when I build the smaller 12W class A I plan to stack it on top on my 40W amp so you will have the exposed heatsink fins running down the front and the side of the amps in uniform lines, I think it will look quite distinctive.
    Long term I would like to build another ClassA , maybe like the 30W one Colin is working on then run my speakers active, if I have three amps all stacked on top of each other with all the heatsink fins running in unison I think it will be a tower of Calss A amp'age, then I really can call my hifi room Sovereign Towers  
    \:D/
  • edited June 2015
    If you mount the transformer on top of each other and wire the L & N reverse on one the stray magnetic fields will help to cancel each other.
    Thanks for that, the transformers are shielded but I will take your advice.

imageimage
    They are lovely.
    I think a transparent perspex case is the way to go... ;)
    Er....... I think perspex will get a little soft.......
    I plan to have the lid made in glass
  • How about transformers in a separate case with a small umbilical?  That way you can minimise the internal distance between the pcbs and keep the overall width to a minimum.  Maybe make the transformer case the same overall width and have it sat underneath, with the umbilical up through the base of the amp case to keep it as short as possible.  Just a thought.  Main be a pain in the arse or totally impractical to do :)
  • edited June 2015
    Having the cases made, should be picking them up tomorrow.
  • edited June 2015
    Before anyone comments, no I'm not digging them out of a skip ..... =;
  • edited June 2015
    WTF...?!
    Sov' successfully posts a photo...?
  • WTF...?!
    =D>
  • Before anyone comments, no I'm not digging them out of a skip ..... =;
    My first thought was that you were using the skip as a case. Robust, plenty of room the breath, etc.,...

Is it Mr Avery that makes the for the MTBPS...?
  • Skip? Why didn't I think of that.
    No the MTBPS case comes from Modu shop in Italy, £130 odd if I remember correctly.  It wouldn't be big enough believe it or not 
    <:-P
  • WTF...?!
    Er.....I've been posting lots of photos thanks Mod, but it doesn't work on an iPad, as the menu bar at the top is always greyed out.
  • Hi James see you today Wednesday.
    Will bring Sam baby amp in the PC case.

• Hi James see you today Wednesday.
    Will bring Sam's baby amp in the PC case.

• That's a great idea we can plug it into the system and see how it compares to the Iridium
  • That's a great idea we can plug it into the system and see how it compares to the Iridium
    Very interested to here your thoughts James on how it compares to the iridium.
  • So, did the earth move then ?
  • Yes and I haven't recovered from it.
  • Only kidding.
    Colin wasn't able to make it in the end.
    But thinking about it, I see the DIY SECA colin / Sam has made is without the power supply boards, it would be a good idea if I quickly make up the power supply boards I have so when Colin does visit we can try the baby DIY SECA with and without the PS boards and compare all to the Iridium, and...........hoperfuly I'll have the mother 40 Watter up and running so we can really have a Class A bake off. Just hope it's not a hot day that day   
    :-/
  • Happy Birthday    

:bz
  • Thanks mate, How did you know???
  • Facecrap :)
  • Ah, not secret powers then
  • No not any powers at all just able to breath.
  • Yes that helps, grateful for my health every day!

• Happy birthday!
  • Cheers mate !

• Happy Birthday indeed. :-)

How old...?
  • To calculate his age you need Einstein 0.5CVV a new range of Citroen are. See C was quick.
  • Mounting the completed circuit boards to the heatsinks, progress is slow but time is limited at the moment 

imageimageimageimage
  • Nice work,, just one small point when using thermal compound a thin smear is best thick thermal compound is not very good at transferring heat. And you use less, also NOTE DO NOT GET IN EYES nasty stuff.

But it is looking good, but do DAC's normally have heatsinks this big???  
    ;)
  • Thanks Colin, looks as thick as Philadelphia cream cheese, but I wiped it smooth and thinner.
    By the way , this is just the power supply for the DAC =P~
  • I'm sure I remember as a kid seeing something almost identical to that in my great grandfather's living room. He was mistakenly using it as an electric heater.
  • I'm sure I remember as a kid seeing something almost identical to that in my great grandfather's living room. He was mistakenly using it as an electric heater.
    It a love warmer, if the wife likes it you are in with a chance.

• Fortunately she tolerates such things. "Like" is probably too strong a word.
    Hasn't complained about the 18 inch sub yet. She was even adjusting the settings on it yesterday allowing me to listen to changes without breaking my listening.
    But that's another thread...
  • Sovereign - the leg of that inductor looks remarkably close to the alu sheet when mounted - is anything touching there?
  • I see what you mean Spev. I'm sure all is fine but I'll double check when I'm home
  • Hi Spev, inductor not touching, just a weird reflection on the camera.
  • Cool, would have hated for something to go bang on switch on given the amount of time that's gone into these.
  • Cool, would have hated for something to go bang on switch on given the amount of time that's gone into these.
    YUP, me too !
  • Looking good James.

Any tunes out of the beast yet ?