For Sale: Colin Wonfor SECA Class A Power Amp

edited April 2015 in For sale
I am selling this truly amazing power amp, designed by Colin Wonfor.
I have had this power amp for a year or so and have loved every minute of owning it. Over the last nine years I have seemingly changed amplifiers every year or so as I was always looking for that perfect audio sound that suited my tastes. I went from top end Exposure John Farlowe amps, to huge valve amps to top end NVA amps to top end Naim amps; all were fantastic in their own right and I couldn't fault any of them. My search finally ended with this Colin Wonfor TQ Iridium, I have taken it to quite a few peoples homes to demo to them, when ever I do, the talking stops and the listening starts, album after album.
Why the bloody hell am I it selling then? I am so sold on the sound of the Colin Wonfor SECA Class A sound that I am going to build my own, have I lost my marbles? Maybe, but I won't be doing it alone, I will have a lot of help from others.
I'm not the best photographer but here are a few shots from my iPad, demo is welcomed in Maidstone. I have the original box, instructions, plastic bags and even down to the cable ties in the packaging.
This is the Grandaddy of Colin Wonfor Class A amps, there are others around, but they are long lost baby brothers. This amp has been further upgraded by Colin with hugely upgraded capacitors.
£3000
There are loads of reviews of this amp, but here are just a few.
www.monoandstereo.com/2014/06...eview-new.html
hifipig.com/tellurium-q-iridium-power-amplifier/
www.6moons.com/audioreviews/telluriumq/1.html
colinwonfor.com/colin-wonfor-...y/tellurium-q/

[URL=http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/SovereignKing/media/image.jpg1_13.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n533/SovereignKing/image.jpg1_13.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Comments

• This is one fantastic amp. 

I don't really need to say that to many of us here, but for anyone who is in any doubt at all, get over to James', listen and then press 3000 Sovs (sorry!) into his palm.
  • Hi Dave, if your able to could you sort out my pictures, all I can seem to post are links and not the pics themselves
  • Could you e-mail me the images themselves, please, James? I'll then put them up for you (it may be tomorrow as we have friends arriving soon for the weekend).

I'm sure I've solved photobucket problems before, but I can't get the links to work at all now.
  • edited April 2015
    Sov,
    You're a machine. You'll have built most of your kit yourself before long won't you?
    This TQ Iridium you're selling is one cracking amp, I'm sure. I know Colin is very proud of that beast. And, **understatement mode on**: Colin Wonfor knows how to put together an amplifier. **understatement mode off**
  • I see Colin will be doing a interview with Howard Popeck in http://www.hifianswers.com soon should be interesting. 
  • Price reduced to £2600
  • Price reduced to £2600
    Stop that right now.
    I can see what you're up to...

I've got quite enough amplifiers already thank you very much.
  • edited April 2015
    You can never get enough "A" Class Amps.

And it looks like he is back.

Beware Colin Attack.

• Price reduced to £2600
    Stop that right now.

Sounds better than any of yours! :-)
  • Price reduced to £2600
    Stop that right now.

Sounds better than any of yours! :-)
    Perhaps I could use it to drive the new Wharfdales... ;-)
  • You can never get enough "A" Class Amps.

And it looks like he is back.

Beware Colin Attack.

I have 3 of Colin's amps alone already...
    And now I think 5 pairs of speakers... :-/
  • Oh Penta Sound Stereo great for Star Trek movies cool Doc.
  • Oh Penta Sound Stereo great for Star Trek movies cool Doc.
    5...? "She cannie take any more cap'n..."
  • Oh shame, bigger house, Albert Hall could be cheap.  :)>-
  • Don't like to see a nice Class A going begging.
    Here ewe go...

• Is it still for sale?
  • Hi Mark , yes it is
  • I'm having a think, leave it with me!
  • Thanks for your patience, I'm afraid that I can't raise the funds, so sorry
  • Thats fine Mark, I have some people coming out of the woodwork for it so it should be gone soon.
    Allt eh very best.
  • Had I had the money then I would have bitten your hand off
  • For the record because it has been incorrectly stated elsewhere on this site the iridium is nothing like the DIY build that Colin is now making
  • In what way James?, Alan seems to think it is
  • Colin really need to comment here. The iridium gives a much higher damping factor, it's a faster Amp, much more advanced power supply et cetera et cetera , But as I said I'm not really qualified to answer nor do I fully understand
  • Me neither, I just know the sound that I like
  • edited June 2015
    The Damping factor of the Iridium James has is about 2000 this will grip you speaker like a lobster and shake them like a rag to a dog. Bass will be deep and solid , but because the BW and Rise times are high and fast the top end will twinkle and the bat could also enjoy the music.
    Being a Single Ended Class A will mean it will run warm so plenty of space and air will be required but in the winter the relaxing sound and the warm and cozy surrounding will enthrall you to peace.

The person who buy this amp will enjoy it for years.
    It outperforms the early incarnations like the ID25 and the TOCA designs.
    The Iridium has a dynamic PSU, what this means at low level about 50% of it output the regulated PSU will stay at a fixed voltage but as the transient peak the PSU follows the output and drives the output device and the current load up or down, this gives a much bigger sound than you would expect from such a low powered amp, it also reduces the power dissipation in the FETS and the Darlington transistors. 

So if you buy this now unique and rare amp, it will please you.

Colin J. Wonfor

Here is a TOCA a Baby 300W Mono (1992), see the ugly bloke that is me.
  • Thanks resident genius 
  • Colin J. Wonfor

Here is a TOCA a Baby 300W Mono (1992), see the ugly bloke that is me.
    But why are you standing next to a gym locker?
  • I am sure I left my conkers in there with that blonde--------------------------------------------------------------beer.

• Be careful where you leave your conkers  8-}
  • Dave your actually quite funny. 
    Never underestimate a gym locker 
    :))
  • Inanimate objects continue to be a challenge to me  8-}
  • That why you superglued your brain still. To stop the rust falling out of your ears Sam said. (big fib)  :-h
  • That amp looks like a coffin and headstone all in one - useful space saving idea there....vertical burials.
  • I have a tattoo that says "THIS WAY UP" on my bald head now ready to go.
  • It outperforms the early incarnations like the ID25 and the TOCA designs...

...Colin "watch-me-put-down-the-two-best-amps-that-Ben-owns-in-a-single-sentence" J. Wonfor
    Ficsed.
  • That why you superglued your brain still. To stop the rust falling out of your ears Sam said. (big fib)  :-h
    She's behind the times. It all fell out last year.
  • Has it sold yet now there is only 4 in the world.
  • edited August 2015
    The old girl has gone, left me, sold. A very nice man with a very nice car took her away.  Enjoy Chris, hope it gives you many years of pleasure  :\">
    Chris has a very interesting story to tell, but I'll give him that pleasure.
  • Oh shame we will miss her.

• Colin you're right I had a go on her last Night and she kept up surprisingly well beautifully full bodied
  • Great news, though, James.

Looking forward to Chris' tale.
  • Nice one James, congrats on the sale