Please introduce yourself

Comments

• Name's Chris.

I worked in a few but during the late Inca Tech days I was with Lockton Shops (remember that ill fated set up?). Fortunately I cut my teeth alongside some really knowledgeable guys. Col, no we've never met but I purchased my original Claymore from Aerco in Woking, I reckon you'd know the guys there!

Dave, the DAC is a very modified version of a Silicon Chip design. Another forum's link would tell all but not really appropriate here.
  • Thanks Chris. I've been Googling ;-)
  • Hi
    I followed a link from Colin onto this site and it seems quite friendly 
    I have Open Baffles that I made myself and at present use a PC for play back 
    Amps are a mixture of active (bass) and direct digital (mid/treble)
    I also have a T/T but not in use at present 
    John
  • Wotcher John!
    Interesting setup there... Photos...?
    8->
  • Hi John , it great here and I have met a few of the inmates nice bunch have fun. Now to tease Dave (Uglymusic) I can see him banning me again soon ,  :D
  • Only after I've got the amps, Col  :-??

Hi John. I'm intrigued by your set-up. Definitely need pix.
  • I try and some pictures up soon

• Fantastic!
  • edited October 2015
    Details of John's system are in its own thread.
  • " my Claymore (currently with Suzy)"
    :-\

"I seem to remember has a couple of plastic slider switches underneath, on the base-plate to switch between MM and MC phono stages."

Indeed it does. 
  • Hi All

I’m Shaun

I’ve been into DIY for the last 30 ish years and over that time managed to attain the dizzy heights of ''average''.

Average ability and competence have served me well over the years and I hope to maintain the same level here.

I found my way here during the research phase of my wonderful 0NE4Audio SECA build and currently have that amp in my set up with the add-on PSU.

Analogue front end consists of NAS Spacedeck/Heavy Mod/ Tabriz ZI /Lyra Dorian/Paradise Phono Pre.

Digital front ends are TP Buffalo 3/Legato, Opus/Ivy  and soon to be Soerkris Dam DAC.

Pre amps, Muses driving DCB1/ FW BA3 front end. Alex’s class A HA/Pre.

Power amps. Avondale audio Voyager Mono’s. One4Audio SECA Mono’s with Dynamic PSU.

PMC FB1+

It’s nice to see some old friends here (Hi Chris) and a friendly faces.

:)) B-) B-)
  • Hi Shaun

Welcome to Chews. I'm Dave, BTW.

Nice to have another SECA owner on board - with some pretty interesting other gear, by the look of it!
  • Thanks Dave
  • edited January 2016
    Hi Shaun, only just seen this.

I didn't know you were a Lyran man, I've not owned anything current by them but did have the original Lydian back in the day, absolutely gorgeous sounding cartridge and I trust you're enjoying the Dorian.

:-h
  • Hi Chris

Oh yes the Dorian has been in my set up for a few years now and sounds super good with the Paradise phono stage which was a full on build but worth the effort.

Here is a link to Simons lovely builds.

we're just about to start the GB build for the pre regs.

It's up with the best that I've heard.

• Hello guys my name is Keith and have been building amps for the past 30 years; doesn't time fly.

I started out with Crimson Electric before discovering the Audio Amateur magazine and the designs of Nelson Pass a very generous guy with his designs for the audio amateur community.

Most recent builds are a copy of the Avondale Audio Voyager monoblocks and one of Cols superb One4Audio SECA amps.

I have been loitering for a while but as Shaun said this SECA central so thought that I'd better get involved and hopefully learn stuff.
  • Nah, we want to learn from you.

What's the outside like?
  • Hi Keith

Welcome to Chews. I'm Dave and I am a SECA addict.
  • Thanks for the welcome Alan and Dave.

SECA addict; getting there
    :D
  • Keith.
    Hi!
    Seca...?! I wouldn't know a SECA if I burned my hand on one.
    ...whether it be in my system, under my stairs or on top of my wardrobe.
  • Hi all.

I'm an owner of 2 Claymore amps (one good - early type with different gold print, and a dead one) and 1 other of Mr Wonfor's larger amps (signed too!)

While there's nothing special about me, my FIL worked for Colin back in the day, so had some stories to tell.

I'm here as I'm getting some info together to repair the dead unit, and thought i'd stick my oar in say hello.
  • Reveal every embarrassing detail you have on Wonfor!
    You're very welcome Mr Whisker.
    2 Claymores...! :-)
  • Bad stories I bet.
  • TinWhisker,

Circuits are available and some parts.
  • So is your FIL Barry or Paul as these are the only to men I had working with me.
  • hi again all , not been on chews for a long time so thought I would do a fresh intro , I don't really class myself as an audiophile , just found hi fi to be really useful in getting more from home listening .

systems in play at the moment

sitting room ,

pioneer a400x fed by a technics 1210 mk2 with at44mlb and jongo a2 for occasional digital noises . they feed a pair of wharfedale diamond 5 speakers which have been extensively fiddled with . cables , yes it has those . bk sub for bass augmentation .

other room system

incatech claymore mk6 with lots of small updates or a denon pma720 driving kef q7 , nakamichi ca5e mk1 pre amp used as a phono stage fed by a garrard 401 with home made arm constructed from junk using various carts and another jongo a2 for digital stuff , cables .

workshop

denon pma250 mk3 driving rogers ls2a2 fed by Samsung galaxy s6 and Roberts sovereign dab  .

currently testing a power chord from EWA called the MC-V , I am a bit of cable sceptic as most cables I have tried offer a small return , there are a few that have really made me take notice , this EWA cable is one such device , I hope some others have tried it and found the same as I hate to admit that a bit of wire can make such a difference , assuming I am not experiencing some odd psycho acoustic effect this cable may just be a true breakthrough in connecting up audio equipment in increasingly noisy environment's . I will post a short review soonish . bizarre times . ;-)  

• Hello again! Nice to see you here, rather than on FB :-)

I kind of know what you mean about not being an audiophile - says the man who hosts Chews. But I started reviewing gear back in the day because I wasn't a gear head, and the magazine wanted a different outlook. I saw - and see - hi-fi as a means to an end. A very necessary means to an end.

Colin has been threatening me with a power cord for some time, but it hasn't arrived here at Ugly Towers, so I'm looking forward to reading what you think about it.
  • Welcome Nat, again good to see you here rather than FB
    Ugly and Docfoster keep this place in order for me because they know that I'm the Don around here
    ^:)^  only kidding.
    Enjoy the mad house that is Chews.

James C

• Hi Nat, Glad you are back how is the Cycle business doing OK I hope.

• edited December 2016
    nats401 said:

Currently testing a power chord from EWA called the MC-V , I am a bit of cable sceptic as most cables I have tried offer a small return , there are a few that have really made me take notice , this EWA cable is one such device , I hope some others have tried it and found the same as I hate to admit that a bit of wire can make such a difference , assuming I am not experiencing some odd psycho acoustic effect this cable may just be a true breakthrough in connecting up audio equipment in increasingly noisy environment's . I will post a short review soonish . bizarre times . ;-)  

Hi Nat, welcome.

Colin rather unkindly did this to me a few years back. He patiently listened to me explain why I thought cables couldn't possibly make a difference with an evil little grin on his face (I thought he had wind and needed burping). Then he plugged a cable in (which costs about as much as an amplifier in it's own right, down to the materials inside) and it, er, made a difference. I was utterly astonished and it completely ruined HiFi for me forever! (Kidding, but I was/am at a total loss, and am not at all grateful for this particular revelation!)

The Last metre of cable indeed... Colin noted that things would be awesome if the national grid were wired with such materials, though I suspect even OPEC nations couldn't afford it! You might find such ideas are employed in the ISS and other NASA projects though.

I am listening to an M-50 amplifier at the moment and it's also rather good, I hope we can compare notes on the forum sometime.
  • edited December 2016
    nats401 said:

hi again all , not been on chews for a long time so thought I would do a fresh intro , I don't really class myself as an audiophile , just found hi fi to be really useful in getting more from home listening .

systems in play at the moment

sitting room ,

pioneer a400x fed by a technics 1210 mk2 with at44mlb and jongo a2 for occasional digital noises . they feed a pair of wharfedale diamond 5 speakers which have been extensively fiddled with . cables , yes it has those . bk sub for bass augmentation .

other room system

incatech claymore mk6 with lots of small updates or a denon pma720 driving kef q7 , nakamichi ca5e mk1 pre amp used as a phono stage fed by a garrard 401 with home made arm constructed from junk using various carts and another jongo a2 for digital stuff , cables .

workshop

denon pma250 mk3 driving rogers ls2a2 fed by Samsung galaxy s6 and Roberts sovereign dab  .

currently testing a power chord from EWA called the MC-V , I am a bit of cable sceptic as most cables I have tried offer a small return , there are a few that have really made me take notice , this EWA cable is one such device , I hope some others have tried it and found the same as I hate to admit that a bit of wire can make such a difference , assuming I am not experiencing some odd psycho acoustic effect this cable may just be a true breakthrough in connecting up audio equipment in increasingly noisy environment's . I will post a short review soonish . bizarre times . ;-)  

Hi Nat.
    Welcome.
    Loving the way you describe you setup. :-) Sounds like a lot of time and care has gone into it.
    Re. mains cables... I am fairly sure I've heard genuine difference too, but can't get my head around it either.

Those cables in the mains grid can be terribly naughty though, may that explains things...

• HI all, occasional lurker here, a fan of valve aesthetics, but not silicon averse at all. I have at last taken the plunge and bought this SECA kit:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?48678-FS-SECA-10w-kit

I shall need a bit of hand holding as I dimly understand that there may be a few component revisions; tweaks seem to have been talked about on here (C4?). If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful so I can make a good job of building this intriguing amp to see what the hubbub is all about! Speakers are mostly Audio Note AN-E though a pair of Kef ref 105.1 also get used from time to time.
    Best wishes
    James
  • James, hi! Welcome.
    I like the cut of your jib.
    I've just responded a bit to your post in the SECA thread.
  • Welcome James

You should get all the support you need from people who have built the kit.

Dave
  • Hi Doc and UM, thanks for the welcome and replies. I feel this is going to be fun :)
  • Having a set of Colin's SECAs (related to the kits, but a little different), I think you're going to be in for a treat. What are you going to be using the amps with?
  • My system is a computer feeding a Buffalo Sabre DAC, into either an SJS Arcadia or a Bottlehead quickie, then the amp, then Audio Note AN-E speakers. I listen mostly to choral and chamber music, but everything from gamelan to street funk gets an outing. Timbre is what I enjoy, not deafening the street!
  • Enjoy this lunatic group he he  HI all I am back from the dead.
  • AntiCrap said:

Enjoy this lunatic group he he  HI all I am back from the dead.

Pleased and relieved to read it! :-)
    Maybe we need a "Re-introduce yourself / Back from the dead" thread!
  • Yep the monster from the past and Hifi analog nut, with a Logo that says kill all digital lies now.
  • Jazid said:
    My system is a computer feeding a Buffalo Sabre DAC, into either an SJS Arcadia or a Bottlehead quickie, then the amp, then Audio Note AN-E speakers. I listen mostly to choral and chamber music, but everything from gamelan to street funk gets an outing. Timbre is what I enjoy, not deafening the street!
    That sounds like a great system for your taste in music. I think I can hear it now :-) 

I sometimes wonder about Audio Notes for my system, but I suspect they won't move it in the direction I want to go from here. I'm not a choral/chamber music kind of guy, except for a little Arvo Part and Bach. But back to your system, I think the kit should sound fantastic in there!
  • AntiCrap said:
    Yep the monster from the past and Hifi analog nut, with a Logo that says kill all digital lies now.
    How it must pain you that most of your SECA fans use digital :-)
  • No I can forgive them for there cruel nature to SECA designs, but the self inflicted damage I can not forgive, it is like taking drugs, is digital bits, and promotes armchair potatoes. And environmental damage due to the use of AA and AAA batteries  for land fill in remote controls.
  • Welcome James

• AntiCrap said:
    No I can forgive them for there cruel nature to SECA designs, but the self inflicted damage I can not forgive, it is like taking drugs, is digital bits, and promotes armchair potatoes. And environmental damage due to the use of AA and AAA batteries  for land fill in remote controls.
    Well, if it alleviates the pain for the amp I also have a yummy analog front end; Micro-Seiki DDX1000 with FR54/SPU/HM3 and AN3/Io2/S8 running into a modded Art VInyl 1. I am still tweaking it (OCD ahoy) and that is sounding pretty fantastic. No remote controls in my setup beyond digital volume which I confess to liking very much :)
  • Hi James (Sovereign), fancy meeting you here!
    >:D<
  • Glad you joined Jimbe, it's a bit of a nut house but most of us only have one screw loose
  • hi everyone, - just bought a Inca tech claymore amp - can't wait for it to arrive and kook it up
  • Welcome, CMF.

What are you going to be using your Claymore with?
  • uglymusic said:
    Welcome, CMF. What are you going to be using your Claymore with?
    Hi.  Avid diva II turntable origin live arm dynavector 10x5 cart with Avid Phellar phono pre amp, B&W 703 speakers.