A New Retro Claymore

Just a thought I have a golden opportunity to rebuild a small number of Claymore's that will be looking like the Old Inca Tech Claymore with a very limited few in Gold Plate.
But using better and more modern components, and not SMD.

Do the panel think there is Market for the retro design.

Comments

• Love the gold plate........not sure about the feet though :)

So, have you stumbled across a stash of cases then Col ?
  • That level of bling was way ahead of its time Col'... B-)
    I have no idea what the market would be. Depends on price? The Claymore seems well and affectionately remembered when mentioned.
    What price are you imaging for this new incarnation?
  • Christ! I really don't know.

I'm not the market for it, though. I've never had a Claymore. And it's not green :-D
  • Look here Robin, just because you live as a Hoodie there are other colours like Red for blood and yellow for colin's and black as Geoff's heart. >:)
  • edited July 2015
    Please let it be as Green as a Goddess :-)
  • Still plodding on nearly completed the NEW Wonfor/Inca Tech Claymore Design without remote and the other junk the marketing Guru wanted at TQ, It about sound not flashing lights wally. It will be a lot cheaper I hope too. We will see.

Stupid CAD package turn the whole of the second layer over and now will not put it back, so I have to delete that layer and start again eeeeehhhhhh mummy  >:) I've been Geoffed by a CAD
  • BOM's are boring I hate doing them, but some kind friend as volunteered to do the job, Thank you.

• Remote? You know you want to.
  • edited September 2015
    He is a 3D PCB Program generated JPG

The boards have arrived now th build them and the chassis.image

• Inputs MC,MM,CD,MP3,DAC,AUX1-3,
    Output Tape Buffer, Pre-amp with cable compensation (no need for TQ)
    Power 60W/Ch 8R 110W/Ch 4R

No remote that what legs are for.
  • Looking good col :)
  • Newbie & Claymore owner alert!

I think there could be at least enough interest in a classic Claymore reissue to easily shift a moderate number but the gold plated ones would be for avid collectors of rarities or bling only. It would be price dependant of course and how much improved on the ISS6 it is sonically.
    Are you using a found supply of chassis? These went for £350 back in the day which according to an online calculator is equivalent to £740 now. For my thinking if it's doable for £500-£600 (as you'd be up against remote control designs and reviewer favourites) you'd sell out very quickly! Much higher and the new design would be more attractive.

• Hi cj66 and welcome to Chews.

Would you mind telling us something about yourself, please?

• Following this with Interest.  A 2nd hand claymore was my first amp after 15 years of NAD 3130, and also the first amp I took a soldering iron to (after the bugger starting giving me grief a week into ownership... go figure...).  Still used every day in the tv/vinyl system.  Be interested to see/build/hear one of these new breed Colin.  Nice one.
  • edited September 2015
    You should have heard the last 'new' Claymore a year or so back, it was close to the big class A designs. It could drive a brick wall too. Unfortunately it was wildly overpriced and marketed by a moron. If Colin can get this Claymore up to a similar level (hint - he told me it is better) for under a grand, nothing will stand in it's way. >:)

However, given the price of decent components I couldn't even guess what price this would be in. X_X
  • I want one
  • Dan you want everything bad man wife will kill you.
  • Think she got used to me now Col,put one by for me please
  • Are you sure she said she was going to remove all your beer last time I was round, send her my best, then DUCK OK.

Yes saved.

• Save me one 2 col I'd love a new one. :))
  • Cheers Col,she said you are a bad influence lol and she's got some very nice coffee for you .
  • Luvely ta coffee mmmmm
  • Was there any mileage in the end for the retro Claymore ( Claymore RE {revised edition} ;) ) ?

Or maybe a full kit form...
  • edited October 2015
    Oh Yes Alan and I are working on it now, I am cooking up the electronics and Alan is finding nice ways to make it easy to build, and doing the chassis design (I hate that job).
    So far the pre-production version sounds lovely and Alan likes the headphones I think.
    In a few more days will have production sorted I can't wait so my mind is flitting about everywhere and doing the SECA Pre.

• Did I hear you say SECA pre?
  • Yep you did I hurd it to. :)
  • I've been hurding it on and off, not wanting to get all excited
  • I've had one for donkeys years :))
  • Cheers for that lofty, suffering from small pecker syndrome now X_X
  • I gotta Aclass pre (& pow) but notta SECA. I fink, afta crimbo & nu ye'r, maybe I gonna ge'me sum more powa!