Dave's (Osprey1000's) Claymore

This discussion was created from comments split from: Please introduce yourself.

Comments

• Hello, 

I bought a second hand Inca tech Claymore in 1990 for my 18th birthday. I had listened to many systems with flashing lights, graphics equalisers and with multiple sources built in. But I entered a shop in Toquay owned by a man of few words. His only sales pitch was just listen to it. I remember he had Tannoy speakers and Inca Tech Amps. I could only afford the second hand claymore which was £200. I then had to save for a few months to buy Wharfedale speakers and a Pioneer CD player. It was worth the wait.

Last Sunday I got it out of storage (after about 10 years) and bought a Pro-Ject elemental turntable, I have always wanted to try the phono stage as the man in the shop told me how good it was. I've been meaning to for years. It worked brilliantly for about 30 minutes and then went quiet.... The single 3 amp fuse had blown. Tonight I replaced the fuse hoping it was just the fuse and it blew again instantly.

Now I realise how much it means to me and any advice would be much appreciated on how to repair it.

Thank you in advance.
  • Hi Osprey

You've come to the right place.

Wait a while and someone who can help will come by.

I'm Dave BTW. Who are you?
  • Hello Dave,

I'm Dave too.. 

Thanks for your welcoming response.

I am a complete novice with an interest in electronics.

I am trying to build up some basic knowledge by reading posts on this "hope giving" forum. I have already learnt that maybe I should have researched before plugging it in after such a long time in storage.

I am determined to fix it as I have been planning to use it with my old Wharfedale 505.2's and a turntable for years.

I have a nice surround sound system Onkyo nr808 system, but for audio, from memory, my old Inca Tech was amazing.

I really want to confirm this as I have a friend who thinks I will be disappointed. 

Thank you again.

• Hi Osprey,

If it blowing fuse, it could 1 or few things:-
    1) Short circuit transformer
    2) Shorted Capacitor
    3) Duff MOS FET,s
    It could also be a track short circuit from wire or crap.

What iss number is it? Has it got built in MC? Are FET's TO247/TOP3 or H-Pak?

Best Colin

• Hi Dave (you can never have too many Daves :-) )

I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

If you don't know, AntiCrap is Colin Wonfor, the amp's designer.
  • edited November 2015
    Exactly Dave, easy to remember, especially if everyone was called Dave.

I never thought that I would be getting advice, personally from as high as it gets!

Amazing.

I am at work at the moment but when I get home I will find the details requested.

Never thought I would be excited about a broken Amp.
  • Colin is as close to God as we let in here :-)
  • Dave (Osprey1000) you mention the Claymore and Wharfdale speakers.
    Which Wharfdales are you using?
    You may have a female doppleganger here...
    Suzy6toes here is using a Claymore and Wharfdale Gledale 3XP.

(Both *on loan* from me I hasten to add. Ahem. :D )
  • Hello Docfoster,

Wharfedale 505.2.. 

They are working fine but hadn't seen the light of day for at least 10 years!

My cheaper Wharfedale Delta 30's blew a tweeter at University so I used my student loan to buy the 505.2's from Radford Hifi.

Music took priority over food!

• edited November 2015
    Hello Colin,

It is iss3. 

The FET's are green and say J118 E1 Japan.

How can I tell if it has built in MC. I read that iss 3 should have.

I am sorry for my lack of knowledge.

I have photos but not sure how to upload them.

thanks,

Dave.

Thank you Suzy6toes.
  • Hi Dave,
    There's a handy post called "James' Tutorial" that gives instructions on how to upload piccies :-)

• Thanks Suzy6toes.
  • Dave,
    The amp appears to have a phono stage (silver board marked "phono" in top right of your top pic).
    Regarding
    a MC stage specifically I seem to remember my Claymore (currently with
    Suzy) has a couple of plastic slider switches underneath, on the
    base-plate to switch between MM and MC phono stages. Does yours have
    such switches (they'd be on the baseplate directly under the phono
    board)...?
  • Hi Claymore owners this early version has no MC and is has Dave says a iss 3,  note the 5 way headers in the phono stage. I later did a MC add on PCB. I will check I may have a few from then left when I am a bit better. Also I see I had my paws inside its organ in 1989, since then the selector switch has changed but if it works OK.
    This version used a CMOS switch to select inputs so the SW only has to switch 5V not audio. Now for a close up back soon.
  • Hi all,

This is quite fascinating as I have this amp since 1990, it was second hand then, and it was my 18th birthday present. I never thought I would ever know this sort of info. I might not understand it all but I want to learn. It makes it all the more important to try and repair it.

Thank you all.
  • I think one of the great things about the Claymore (and many of Colin's designs) is the way he continues to support them and their owners. 

One of our other members, @Quickie (Paul), also knows a great deal about Colin's designs.
  • edited November 2015
    Hi Dave,

It's really worth getting the little fella up and running, they're such great amps.
    I have a picture on file of an ISS3 fitted with MC boards...

I think I've also seen this with the MC boards mounted directly on the MB's headers, rather than the flying leads.
  • This is not a MC PCB for a Claymore, It is a SECA PCB for the ID1P pre-amp, Paul has a few of these in his ID1P
  • Hello again,

It blows fuses instantly when turned on.

I have plenty of fuses. 

Is it worth disconnecting the transformer out cables from the main board and then seeing if the fuse blows to check if the problem is transformer side?
  • Yes but please disconect noting were the wires go and with the mains OFF.
  • I'll photograph it all.
  • "This is not a MC PCB for a Claymore, It is a SECA PCB for the ID1P pre-amp, Paul has a few of these in his ID1P"

Aha, so ze plot thickens!
    Was my memory of seeing the correct MC boards mounted directly on the headers good or just a figment?
  • edited November 2015
    I unplugged the wires and the 3 amp fuse blew again. I assume there is a problem with the transformer or the wires connected to it.

The first time it was turned on after the prolonged storage I played a phono source at quite low volume for about half an hour before the sound went and fuse blew. Since then it blows instantly when turned on.

Could the transformer have been damaged by another faulty component? 

Could I repair the transformer or is it easy to buy and fit a new one?

Again, thank you Colin and others for your support.

• Can you show me a better view of the switch please, and what fuse are you using?

• MC PCB mounted Vertical and about postage stamp size. and 2 of them
  • The fuse is 3 amp. Is it important to be slow or fast burn? I have 10 fast burn 3.15 amp fuses arriving today.image
    imageimage

• Would you like a close up of the back of the switch?
  • Hi no are the fuse Fast Blow? Try a Slow Blow
    Can you see or smell burning near the transformer?

• My 3 amp fuses are slow blow which instantly blow. My fuses I received today but have not tried are 3.15 amp fast blow.

I can't smell any burning.

• edited November 2015
    Just tried a 3.15 amp fast blow fuse with main board disconnected. The LED doesn't even flicker and the fuse is blown.

No burning smell.
  • I see airlink transformers are still in the same place from the phone number 0279 now 01279.

• Hang on I may have one in stock, I will check on Monday.
  • edited November 2015
    Hello Colin,

When you said you designed my amp, were you also involved in building my actual amp in 1989?

I am new to this community but your skills are held in such high regard and not just here.  It is a privilege to be receiving help from you.

That amp has always been one of my most treasured possessions..... it was my 18th birthday present.

Thank you. 
  • I have had a chequed life, in Hi Fi.
    I owned and started Magnum, then Inca Tech and Inca Design, then a part owned TOCA, Oberon, and I started Tellurium Q before it was stolen by the other directors and his wife.
    Inca Tech started in my large garage on Canvey Island move to Basildon then into our own factory on Canvey Island.
    I see my initials on the PCB which means I possible tested at home in 1989.
  • edited November 2015
    You see the brains and passion behind firms sidelined by greed and money too often. 

I have also seen good men and women turned by the bad influence of a partner.

Not saying that these factors applied to your experience.

Your passion is obvious, you are still talking to and supporting individuals who love your products.

Onkyo and Pioneer amp owners will never have that privilege especially decades on!!!!

My son just read this and said that when my amp broke last week it was like someone had passed away.
  • Do you have the exact spec of the transformer. Someone at work who sells parts for bulb amps says he has some transformers. I sadly don't have enough knowledge to give him the answers to the simple questions even. 

I read in another discussion that you loved the simplicity of the Claymore 1. I'm sure you meant technically which I don't fully understand but when I bought it, I loved the simplicity of just Volume and selector with amazing sound. Other adjustment required a screwdriver! That was what sold it to me. 
  • edited November 2015
    Hi yes the original part number from Airlink Transformer circa 1980's was 918.

The spec is 30-0,30-0 secondary and 0-230VAC primary at 180VA.

The spare I had was for a Claymore 2 and the volts output is to high, for a Claymore 1 sorry.
  • edited November 2015
    Thanks

Do you know of a high quality replacement I can buy? 

Would you say its the best place to start as the fuse keeps blowing whilst disconnected from board?

• edited November 2015
    Is there a need? the last one lasted how long, but on a rethink please power up transformer not plugged into the PCB and tell me the result, there is a possible s/c when the connector are shorted together by plugging into the wrong spades terminal on the PCB.

Whoops you did this already what fuse ? The one in photo look like quick blow it must be slow blow.
  • the 3 amp fuse was slow blow and the 3.15 amp fuse was fast blow. Both fuses blow instantly whilst not plugged into board.

First time the original fuse blew which was after a long period of storage it was after about 20 mins of play. Now they blow instantly. 
  • As cj66 said I really want to get this going. 
    I have just read somewhere if you are looking for a vintage amp walk away if the transformer is burnt out. 
    Seeing as it looks like my transformer is the problem am I going to struggle to fix it.
    Does anyone know of anyone who repairs vintage amps as my knowledge is too basic? 
  • edited November 2015
    What's going on in the circled part of the picture?

Looks like secondaries come adrift that should paired together. My Claymore doesn't have this same set up on the transformer so hard to say (Colin!).
  • ....or primaries for that matter. Older transformer for 110v/220v?
  • Hello cj66,

I'm not near it at the moment but from memory the material that looks silver is a silicone. Is that for additional supplies that are not needed? 

I'll look more closely later.

Thanks for the reply.

Dave.
  • Hi CJ66 & Dave,

It was a 110VAC tap, so the transformer has two primary joined in series 115VAC- 0 + 115VAC - 0 allowing it to work on 230VAC UK setting.

Col
  • Ah OK, it looked like solder and a wire come away in that shot.

Is the transformer confirmed as shorted then? If yes, then I guess you need to make a decision on how much you're willing to spend on it, especially if you're paying for the work to be done. If just the transformer no probs but you may need to find what caused it to fail.
    That takes us back to Colin's original post...

"
    If it blowing fuse, it could 1 or few things:-
    1) Short circuit transformer
    2) Shorted Capacitor
    3) Duff MOS FET,s
    It could also be a track short circuit from wire or crap.!"
  • No he has tested with it not connected to the PCB and bang fuses blow, It is most likly the tranny
  • Just a thought ask Paul Quick he had some tranny rated to run this "Quickie" stop hiding come out.