Ben's One4 (WONFOR) SECA build (ready-populated boards)

1235»

Comments

• cj66 said:
    Docfoster said:
    I'm also getting this...
    Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mer-say-dee-benz, my friends all have...
    It's all about the G-Class...
    :-B
  • ...A-Class is so...2015.
  • Now I under stand a certain famous group didn't name themselves after their own initials but their HiFi's!
    Before AG's there were Bee Gees...
    ~O)
  • edited January 2016
    cj66 said:
    Now I under stand a certain famous group didn't name themselves after their own initials but their HiFi's!
    Before AG's there were Bee Gees...
    ~O)
    Class B/G amp...
    So crazy, it just might work...
    :-B
  • Well done Ben it looks great.
    Good job you have balance mains, and are still here, those electron are small but God do they bite.

Well Done
    ;)
  • I saved you life, now where did I leave my cape?
  • edited January 2016
    sovereign said:
    I saved you life, now where did I leave my cape?

See Dave is wearing it again to rob the Vinyl record shop to destroy ALL analog music, and promote the " Digital Lie Party" for government. Just like his Auntie Maggie.

• That's someone I hoped I'd never see on Chews. Getting a bit of Mod's Itch at the moment...
  • sovereign said:
    I saved you life, now where did I leave my cape?
    Fair play, you may have played a part in the continuation of my existance.
    Is there some sort of "life-debt" to you that I have no incurred...?

BTW, have you seen this one James...?
  • AntiCrap said:
    Well done Ben it looks great.
    Good job you have balance mains, and are still here, those electron are small but God do they bite.

Well Done
    ;)
    Thanks. :-)

And, good job indeed. "Bite" is quite a good description of the electrocution sensation actually.
  • uglymusic said:
    That's someone I hoped I'd never see on Chews. Getting a bit of Mod's Itch at the moment...
    I agree.
    He could have least gone for the Michael Keaton Batman.
  • Hi Ben

First class job fitting the PSU’s.  Quick and Good.

To my ears they make a nice difference to the sound pretty much along the lines of your review post.

The PSU seems to add real low end extension and tightens things up nicely. The Bass has a rightness which other class A except for the very big/expensive ones I’ve heard seem to fudge/smudge.

overall the SECA sounds smoother but digs deeper into the recording, and sounds much more ‘dynamic’’ which gives it that small amp does big expensive amp illusion.

Sounds like a bigger amp to my ears.

IMHO, to My ears and in My setup

The add on PSU gives the sort of lift to the SECA that leave a nice fat smile on its face.

And a similar smile on mine.

Worth every penny and IMHO anyone who has not should try for themselves.

GREAT WORK Colin/Ben

• Shoom,
    Thanks.
    Yes, a nice fat smile indeed. :-)
    I don't have experience of other class A designs outside of the Wonfor stable, but the sound of this one has an even better, and righter, bass than the TOCA 20 or the ID25. And yes, I'd now say that righter bass includes greater heft as well as detail and balance. I certainly noticed that when moving around the house yesterday (going upstairs to put away some laundry with the amp playing was a worrying experience such was the structural rumbling of the bass downstairs); the One4 is certainly getting more out of the big bass drivers in the Goodmans than any other amp I've used with them.
    And I absolutely agree that the VFM is ridiculous. Thanks again Colin!
  • Tannoy Buckingham would lift the Bass to Earthquake levels.
  • I've noticed how many recordings just don't have any bass!

Mixed on tiny monitors?
  • uglymusic said:
    I've noticed how many recordings just don't have any bass!

Mixed on tiny monitors?
    My own tiny experience of studio mastering is that the opposite is more likely to be the case.
    On recordings that I have mixed on tiny monitors, the best case scenario is that one cannot hear what the bass is doing so the results are arbitrary. But, the worse case is that one (me) is more likely to turn up the bass so that one can hear it in the mix coming through the tiny monitors. Play the resulting mix on a system with a fuller and more accurate bass response and one is suddenly horribly shamed and embarrassed by the out-of proportion bass booms.
    If I may be allowed to be self-referntial, here is a very good example of when I messed up a mix down due to tiny monitors, when the bass kicks in it's just stupid. And worse, post-production compression has to reduce the absolute level of the track do compensate for the stupidly overblown bass...

• Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Mixed on tiny monitors?
    My own tiny experience of studio mastering is that the opposite is more likely to be the case.
    On recordings that I have mixed on tiny monitors, the best case scenario is that one cannot hear what the bass is doing so the results are arbitrary. But, the worse case is that one (me) is more likely to turn up the bass so that one can hear it in the mix coming through the tiny monitors. Play the resulting mix on a system with a fuller and more accurate bass response and one is suddenly horribly shamed and embarrassed by the out-of proportion bass booms.
    If I may be allowed to be self-referntial, here is a very good example of when I messed up a mix down due to tiny monitors, when the bass kicks in it's just stupid. And worse, post-production compression has to reduce the absolute level of the track do compensate for the stupidly overblown bass...

I stand corrected!

So how do we end up with recordings that cut off somewhere in the lower midrange?
  • The Bass emphasis on all modern recording is for those stupid cheap car radio's and Ipad things, I knew a studio that did it all the time. Bloody shame as you lose the edge attack a big bass drum can give and those finite harmonics on guitar. More digital lies to compensate for the real world of analog on cheap shit equipment
  • I'm not talking pop recordings, Col, just some in my collection.
  • Oh the 78 rpm converted ?
  • Wax always sounds better than shellac. You should know that :-)
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Mixed on tiny monitors?

I stand corrected!

So how do we end up with recordings that cut off somewhere in the lower midrange?
    No idea.
    :-/
  • Is it possible that an amp can improve over time...?
    Sounding so special this evening!
  • Absolutely!

• uglymusic said:
    Absolutely!
    Quite delightful.
    Things that should be snappy are sounding even snappier.
    Bass seems even more impressive.
    Mid range body is even more full.
    Sound staging (is that what it's called?) is even more eery.
  • My SECA monoblocks, which Alan has at the moment to take to Colin for a couple of proper regulator boards are still getting better. 

Overall, the sound was getting more 'real' and less controlled (not that they sounded at all controlled to begin with).

So I'm back with the little Green Goddess, who is sounding brilliant fed with the RPi. She has the advantage of being thoroughly run-in ;-)
  • It's a relief that the sound changes in a way that always "gets better" rather than "gets worse"!
    What happens to the components that produces this "improvement" I wonder...?
    :-?