The Peoples Streamer: Google Chromecast Audio

edited January 2016 in Systems
Google Chromecast Audio.

£30 for a streaming device which talks to any mobile device on almost any operating system. CCA (ChromeCast Audio) outputs music via 3.5mm socket (for 3.5mm jack to jack cable, or a 3.5 jack > RCA 'Y' cable for conventional HiFi), or digital output over optical. Anything up to 24/96 is supported, everything over that is downsampled and still plays. Being a mainstream device, most streaming services (with Tidal apparently soon to follow) have integrated Chromecast Audio into their apps.

It can play your own music from your NAS too, the following CODECs are supported: AAC, MP3, Vorbis, WAV, FLAC. I don't know about AIFF (which is a legacy format) but it's usually supported if AAC/ALAC is.

Why is this potentially a great little device? Because it takes the computer out of computer audio, like the old Squeezebox Touch did, only more so. Anyone with a mobile device can connect to CCA and access music content, without any risk of, say, young ones harming a cherished music library, or uninterested spouses giving up as it's all so difficult to use. £30 to make a HiFi accessible to anyone in the house without risk! That's about the cost of a new record. It is also tiny, and funky looking. This is what technology should be.

This really is plug and play; if you have a WiFi network in your home and use mobile devices, you should be up and running inside 10 minutes.

I already use a conventional Chromecast for television and I will certainly be adding a CCA to my system shortly. Probably not for use during my self indulgent, serious HiFi 'alone' time, but all of the other times, in the real world, this is very, very much good enough. This makes better quality audio available to more people, for peanuts.

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Alan said:
    Google Chromecast Audio.

<snip>

It can play your own music from your NAS too, the following CODECs are supported: AAC, MP3, Vorbis, WAV, FLAC. I don't know about AIFF (which is a legacy format) but it's usually supported if AAC/ALAC is.

<snip>

This really is plug and play; if you have a WiFi network in your home and use mobile devices, you should be up and running inside 10 minutes.

I already use a conventional Chromecast for television and I will certainly be adding a CCA to my system shortly. Probably not for use during my self indulgent, serious HiFi 'alone' time, but all of the other times, in the real world, this is very, very much good enough. This makes better quality audio available to more people, for peanuts.

Sounds like a good thing. As an Apple person, I stream into the Big Rig from iPhone and iPad to Apple TV and take optical out, so I may not buy one.

BTW, I'm not sure AIFF is a legacy format. I haven't seen anything to that effect.
  • I suppose you're right, AIFF is officially supported by Apple. Yet in the wide world it is used less even than WAV (the other main uncompressed lossless format) and hardly at all in terms of downloads, which are almost always WAV/ALAC/FLAC/MP3. Which might explain why Google's list of supported CODECs mention WAV but not AIFF, although I think it likely AIFF is going to be fine.
  • Yup. It's just a less popular format. Most people in the Apple world use ALAC for hi-fi use, of course, just like the rest use FLAC instead of WAV.

• Alan said:
    Google Chromecast Audio.

£30 for a streaming device which talks to any mobile device on almost any operating system. CCA (ChromeCast Audio) outputs music via 3.5mm socket (for 3.5mm jack to jack cable, or a 3.5 jack > RCA 'Y' cable for conventional HiFi), or digital output over optical. Anything up to 24/96 is supported, everything over that is downsampled and still plays. Being a mainstream device, most streaming services (with Tidal apparently soon to follow) have integrated Chromecast Audio into their apps.

Why is this potentially a great little device? Because it takes the computer out of computer audio, like the old Squeezebox Touch did, only more so. Anyone with a mobile device can connect to CCA and access music content, without any risk of, say, young ones harming a cherished music library, or uninterested spouses giving up as it's all so difficult to use. £30 to make a HiFi accessible to anyone in the house without risk! That's about the cost of a new record. It is also tiny, and funky looking. This is what technology should be.

Flowing, lucid prose. With a clear and well made point.
    We've missed you Mr. Brown.
    :)
  • Just a quick note, this is only £15 at the moment at Currys/PC World.

It would be rude not to. No idea how long for though, so be fast...
  • Alan, what's the user interface (if that's the right term) on this nifty little gadget...?
  • Your phone, or tablet.

Once you install the Chromecast app (Apple or Android) it will kind of 'piggy back' onto what you're streaming.

Most larger apps (like YouTube and Netflix, for example, on the TV version) build in Chromecast integration. You just tick a little box and what you're watching appears on the TV with the Chromecast plugged in.

Same principle for the audio version. I believe the biggest issue right now is allowing easy access to local files on a NAS (this can be done with a third party app - bubbleUPnP), and I think they're still waiting on Tidal integration.

• Seriously impressive little device, according to the testing done here.
  • Alan said:
    Your phone, or tablet.

Once you install the Chromecast app (Apple or Android) it will kind of 'piggy back' onto what you're streaming.

Most larger apps (like YouTube and Netflix, for example, on the TV version) build in Chromecast integration. You just tick a little box and what you're watching appears on the TV with the Chromecast plugged in.

Same principle for the audio version. I believe the biggest issue right now is allowing easy access to local files on a NAS (this can be done with a third party app - bubbleUPnP), and I think they're still waiting on Tidal integration.

Thanks Alan.
  • I've been a long time (occasional) reader of Archimago's blog, I find it a useful dose of perspective. Part one of his Chromecast review/measurements are here, and the second part (where he examines the digital output) here.

All told, the Chromecast Audio appears to be somewhere between technically excellent and technically perfectly adequate, especially given the buttons it costs.

I am still using mine with the internal DAC (via screen casting) for Radio Paradise. I understand the PLEX app will allow me to access my own music library, but there's little point with the Mac/DAC just sitting there. I think the CC-A is a true landmark audio product, with near enough audiophile abilities (but zero cred - which is a big plus AFAIAC).
  • edited March 2016
    I am way out of my depth here and defo out of my comfort zone. I think I have a couple of questions to ask, in fact I'm sure I do, I just don't know how to, so I'll just keep quiet.
  • Erm. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Ask away.
  • sovereign said:
    I am way out of my depth here and defo out of my comfort zone. I think I have a couple of questions to ask, in fact I'm sure I do, I just don't know how to, so I'll just keep quiet.
    Mate, when you get out on parole again just buy one and have a play. (If you can build a DAC and an amp then this will be like licking an ice lolly!) Any questions post them on here, I'm sure we can figure it out.
  • Okay so here is my question, my source is a apple mac book pro , would this device replace my laptop or am I better off using my laptop as my primary source
  • Yes, you could use the device if you have some network-attached storage, but I don't know how the Chromecast's SQ compares with the MBP.

I'd recommend you replace the MBP with an RPi. I'd expect it to be significantly better than the MBP. And for not much more cash.
  • Thanks Ugly, run past me what a RPi is
  • Raspberry Pi. It's a small computer that can run playback software like Volumio or Squeezelite. You can put your music on a network hard drive then stream this music from your Pi and output it to your DDDAC. Even better, you can use the I2S pins to feed your DAC direct, thus cutting out USB entirely.
  • RPi =Raspberry Pi.

Here's how I set mine up.

There are some threads here on Chews, too.
  • Sorry I've just woken up to the fact of what RPI means thanks for your help
  • No probs James

It'll work out a bit more than a Chromecast, but I suspect it'll be a whole different hi-fi ballgame.
  • I've been there and got the t-shirt with these little computers and a DDDAC, so just shout if you need any help.
  • Why do I always think of those devices as DACs with large breasts?
  • Hi James,

The Chromecast isn't really setup for streaming from a NAS, although I understand the Plex app makes it possible.

It's really designed to allow internet radio, or spotify type services to be 'cast' from your mobile device (phone or tablet) to the Chromecast Audio. It then plays through your stereo, either via the Chromecast' internal DAC or via the Chromecast > optical out > DAC.

The great thing about it is, one's family (including children) can easily access the stereo without doing anything wrong, and that the audio quality really is above reproach AFAICS.
  • uglymusic said:
    Why do I always think of those devices as DACs with large breasts?
    Sexual repression...?
  • edited November 2016
    A little late to the party but I have just popped a Chromecast onto the telly. Picked one up at the same offer price mentioned above. (Dixons at Bristol airport....impulse purchase).

What fun! I can see this getting some use from more than just myself...

Anyhoosen, while at it I bought a Chromecast Audio as well, also on offer but yet to be connected.

I have joined the streaming world......finally image
  • Audio now on too. Looks like I'll be needing a subscription service to get real use out of it and what seems to be the contentious point of a local music streaming app that's compatible.
  • Spotify for cheapness and choice. TIDAL for quality. Both have their own apps which will run on your Android device.

• cj66 said:
    Audio now on too. Looks like I'll be needing a subscription service to get real use out of it and what seems to be the contentious point of a local music streaming app that's compatible.
    Great job! It is a lovely device for all of £15/£30 (whatever). IMO it beats most spinning disk players and is as good as computer audio (where the computer isn't a special audio only monstrosity).

If you open the 'Google Home' app on your device, and press the menu icon on the top left you see a side bar appear. The top option ought to be 'Cast screen/audio'.

Now some apps don't have native Chromecast support built in but using this option you can cast any audio you play, or alternatively any film you watch, directly from your device screen. This is how I watch Amazon Prime, or listen to Radio Paradise on my Chromecasts. To cast from my NAS I use Bubble UPnP, which is both a free and easy app.

I hope that helps you have fun!
  • edited December 2016
    Thanks for the thoughts Alan.

The only point that caught me out was the video driven casts that won't work on the CCA but will on the CC, due to the video content.

I gleefully assumed the audio side would come through anyway

I'll look into Bubble UPnP for the PC local audio.

• Haha! Bubble UPnP now installed and happily playing all PC based audio files via Foobar2000.

Poy-fect!