Amp Build Group R Us

This discussion was created from comments split from: Mini Amp.

Comments

• Yes please.

looks like fun.

Some of those Digital amps can sound pretty good IMHO, I

OB may be bigger but easier than horns. plenty of full range drivers to be had and horns well these sound pretty good but maybe not for the first timer.

Been a long time since I've used the OB's but I think that they used Fostex 167 (or 166) and 15inch bass helpers.

but again as you say a bit complex for the first time builder.

I really do like the style of this Thread.

Maybe we can set up an amp group build for first timers which I'd be willing to host if the numbers are not huge.

Sort of like the Pass work in the USA.

• Amp Builds R US

Maybe grab yourself a SECA board set and come on over then.

Honestly I do think that a day spent soldering with a little support can yield good results. our American cousins have been doing it for a few years now with pretty spectacular results.

worth thinking on.

• LOL!

May not be a SECA board set, as I have my Colin-built SECAs (actually, Colin has them at the moment ;-) ). Although I do fancy trying bi-amping the Royds.

I know Colin has thought about such an event in the past.
  • shoom said:
    Amp Builds R US

Honestly I do think that a day spent soldering with a little support can yield good results. our American cousins have been doing it for a few years now with pretty spectacular results.

worth thinking on.

shoom said:
    Amp Builds R US

worth thinking on.

shoom said:
    Amp Builds R US

worth thinking on.

Worth repeating, here and here. Nelson does a great job and his marketing is damn good also, something else I lack.
  • Yes and we have just as rich a history in Class A amp design so maybe time for team GB to make some noise.
  • shoom said:
    Yes and we have just as rich a history in Class A amp design so maybe time for team GB to make some noise.
    Maybe even better, eh, Col? ;-)
  • The TOCA were built because Nelson said he had the built the most powerful SECA in the world at 50W, so I made 20W,50W.100W,200W and a 300W SECA under the banner of T.O.C.A. so I think we could do it again. And it will be fun.
    And I did the same for Magnum when Mr.Relph said I would never make another good amp whoop up popped the Claymore.
    And just over a year ago Mr.Merrigan forced me out to be homeless and ill from a company I started look out for new cable designs Sir.
    We Brit's will not be pissed on.

V

• TBH

I'm not so sure that Nelson makes a fortune from his DIY stuff but his generosity in allowing others to use his designs and all of there offshoots is pretty cool IMHO.

What it does show is how strong the market is for good sounding DIY Class A amps (and his do tend to sound good to my ears).

His activity and dedication to the Pass DIYA forum is also pretty special and in all of the time I've been reading I've never seen a cross word no matter how stupid the question.

It seems to me that the first timers often get lost in the build threads so a GBuild may be just the thing to help the start.

Mostly afraid to ask the ''stupid''question?

but it should be made plain from the start.

No such thing as a stupid question or an easy build IMHO. 

Any one interested in a Group build should step forward.

it will be fun.

• shoom said:
    TBH

I'm not so sure that Nelson makes a fortune from his DIY stuff but his generosity in allowing others to use his designs and all of there offshoots is pretty cool IMHO.

What it does show is how strong the market is for good sounding DIY Class A amps (and his do tend to sound good to my ears).

His activity and dedication to the Pass DIYA forum is also pretty special and in all of the time I've been reading I've never seen a cross word no matter how stupid the question.

It seems to me that the first timers often get lost in the build threads so a GBuild may be just the thing to help the start.

Mostly afraid to ask the ''stupid''question?

but it should be made plain from the start.

No such thing as a stupid question or an easy build IMHO. 

Any one interested in a Group build should step forward.

it will be fun.

I whole heartedly agree Shaun. I built my first Nelson Pass amp back in the 80's and have built several since then with not a duff sounding one amongst them.

Stupid questions I think I've asked a few of those or they seemed so at the time.

I'm so glad that I discovered Col's SECA amps as this amp still takes me by surprise with music that I thought I knew. But having said that I will still build Nelson's amps and have an M2 under construction at the moment.

• Hmmm traitor in the mist already he he The M2 is a nice amp, I like Nelson way is so enthusiastic about every design he has done. And this does encourage others like a bug .

• More like an addiction Col.
  • And plenty to be learned in his methods IMHO.

DIY is not a competition and more like a collaboration of enthusiasts learning from each other. IMHO.

• It can also be a melting pot of ideas, anyone no matter how inexperienced can come up with another idea or ask a question that has not been asked before, sparking another look at things.
    Anything goes, case design, layout etc. etc.
  • edited April 2016
    I'm always up for a creative hug.
    How does a "group build" work? Is it a group building a single amp, or a group of individuals buing their own respective individual amps; a kind of set of simultaneous, parallel and individual effort?
    (I'm hoping the first one. :-) )
  • Well a group buy of components would reduce the cost of parts and that always helps.
    A Group consultation on how to build and which tools to use is also very good.