Softly does it

Coming off from the thread  http://audiochews.com/discussion/1866/windows-pimp-my-ride#latest
I thought it may do well to discuss playback (or ripping) software here.

Whether it be perceived-in-the-ears-of-the-beholder or pure functionality preference, there are many programmes to choose from out there. Some are free and others you must pay for.

As already stated I use Foobar for audio only. Others prefer JRiver for its better UI, handling of video and a couple of advanced features. I have tried JRiver but found it not necessary for my needs.

A few more examples are JPlay, Cplay, XXHigh End etc.

Another I tried was HQPlayer, this came with great recommendation for its enhanced audio capability. This one requires some knowledge to adjust the myriad of settings to gain optimum sound quality. To be honest I wasn't up to the challenge and gave up on it after only obtaining only mediocre sound production from it. My failing obviously, especially as I never picked up the offer from a very kind fellow to sort it out for me!

Add to that the two seemingly favourite ripper programmes of DbPoweramp and EAC and I think we're done for an introduction.

Comments

• cj66 said:
    As already stated I use Foobar for audio only. Others prefer JRiver for its better UI, handling of video and a couple of advanced features. I have tried JRiver but found it not necessary for my needs.

Agreed. I think one's media needs are very relevant here.
    I watch a lot of Bluray movies. At the time I set up my media PC the only other option that I was aware of for playing Blurays was PowerDVD. I tried it for a while and decided that its use-ability and reliabiity when playing Blurays was marginally worse than how well my cat George performed the same task.
    By contrast, I've found JRiver to be an incredibly positive experience from setup, tweaking, reliability and performance (video and audio). Although Jaon (figlet) who build my PC did walk me through the settings and controls, which may have confused numpty-me otherwise. The recent editions can access Dolby di-res audio streams on Blurays too. :-)
    Although I must say that other than the usual Windows media stuff I haven't tried other media replay software (e.g. those you mentioned). I probably should. I completely lack the range of experience that you demonstrate.
  • Nice one Chris

I'll be back
  • Is this thread Windows-only?

• uglymusic said:
    Is this thread Windows-only?
    Your kind are not welcome here.
    ;-)
  • None of these either?

• uglymusic said:
    None of these either?

Is this a Linux thing...?
    :-/
  • Might be tidier if you start a new thread for Penguines and Apples, just as relevant for pie eaters, mac wearers... ;)

I've just realised why Apple is so popular, instead of the "me, me, me " genaration we have the "i, i, i " gang!!!

...only kidding guys
    :D
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    None of these either?

Is this a Linux thing...?
    :-/
    That is, indeed, a Linux thing
  • cj66 said:
    Might be tidier if you start a new thread for Penguines and Apples, just as relevant for pie eaters, mac wearers... ;)

I've just realised why Apple is so popular, instead of the "me, me, me " genaration we have the "i, i, i " gang!!!

...only kidding guys
    :D
    I can do Mac, but there are some yawning holes in my Linux knowledge.
  • edited April 2016

Software

ATM for my windows set up I’m using Jplay’s superb streamer with a Qnap NAS running Minimserver and Bubble DS Next as the control point.

My Hardware.

http://www.audiochews.com/discussion/1866/windows-pimp-my-ride

My Ram Play World. (Loads music to RAM to avoid spinning disc playback)

Jplay

http://jplay.eu/

I have the two PC option PC1 streams music to PC2 which handles playback only and runs in a processor light way...

I’ve been using Jplay since version one which was pretty clunky to use but better sounding than anything else I’d tried at the time. John Kenny recommended I try it (if you are listening John I’m the one who thought WASAPI was a Japanese horse radish paste) which I did and liked it plenty. I remember people gasping at its 99 euro price tag but here I am on version 6.2 and not a penny more has changed hands. Money well spent IMHO as it’s so much better than V1.

Jplaystreamer is a game changer IMHO and well worth trying.

The following may only make sense to Jplay users.

Settings are as follows.

ULTRstream, Force 24bit, DAC link 1 KHz, PC buffer 10s, Throttle on, Hibernate on.

Clock setting 2.

It’s free to try but costs to keep.

Minimserver

http://minimserver.com/

It’s free and fairly easy to use but needs Java installed to work.

It’s a lightweight server program and is dead good.

Bubble DS Next

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=27949

The free version is slightly limited but in day to day use it matters not. Sniffs out DNLA/ UPNP Servers and renderers (players) on any local network. It’s a really nice piece of kit and combined with a cheap android tablet or phone makes a splendid remote control.

I’ve also used Minimserver and Bubble to control my PI playback set up with equally good results.

I’ve tried other software players but keep going back to Jplay (stuck in a rut?)

Processlasso

https://bitsum.com/

I’ve just started to play with this software but I’m impressed with what it does. It’s free to try but costs 32 euro to buy.

I also simultaneously run

Fidelizer.

http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/

I use the free version but it has a more advanced licenced brother.

I‘ve used this program off and on in the past and the early versions where more than a little flaky IMHO but it’s far more robust and stable in current form.

It’s not a wham bam product but combined with lasso its dead good to my ears.

So that’s about it. Some will like others will not and some will hear no difference.

All valid opinions.

Now Doc

Who has the OCD problem? :-)

• Love it! :-D
    You are exacting, I'll give you that!
    Thankfully I lack the technical nonce to allow my ocd to abuse me over this particular issue (tho I am not able to tolerate my pc if I know it's not playing in ASIO).
  • Docfoster said:
    Love it! :-D You are exacting, I'll give you that! Thankfully I lack the technical nonce to allow my ocd to abuse me over this particular issue (tho I am not able to tolerate my pc if I know it's not playing in ASIO).

We can soon fix that up Doc and as for lack of technical ability, hell I've never let that get in the way. :-)

• edited April 2016
    shoom said:

We can soon fix that up Doc and as for lack of technical ability, hell I've never let that get in the way. :-)

But, if I don't hold the information in my head, then I can't obsess about it. Please don't infect me with the potential to be consumed by compulsions! :-D
  • Plenty to try out there! I've obviously not investigated this amgle enough, something I shall endeavour to change.
  • Plenty to try Chris and nothing to lose.

Any of the above I can help you with set up and so forth.

Jplaystreamer is a great product and much better to use than the previous Jplay versions IMHO
  • edited April 2016
    Thanks for the offer, if needs be I'll take you up on that.
  • edited April 2016
    Do Try processLasso though

it's an interesting program.
    >:)

Have we got onto Ripping software yet?

I'm using DB poweramp

Just because I like it's functionality rather than any sound benefits.

I noticed that Alex is using a Regen for ripping which is interesting and I may try with the spare Purifier when I have a little time.

• I have db power ampon an old PC that I used back in the day before Macs.

As I don't have a working CD drive, I was thinking of pressing it back into service for a while.
  • Why not!

My first MPC was a very old Dell Dimension xxx (PIII 730Mhz 512RAM) tower with a lowly Asus DS audio board. It did the job surprisingly well and sowed the evil seed of music files for me. It was so old I had to fit a PCI USB board to it!!

• Mine's a Dell P4 of some kind. Can't remember the details. It'll do the trick, though, if it hasn't decided to retire itself in the past four or five years since it last booted.
  • Both good

Not much processing power needed for ripping or playback.

I use my ''control'' PC for ripping to NAS and DBPA seems to do the job.
  • Yeah. Its last role was as my ripper. Worked fine.

Must remember not to let it anywhere the Internet as it has something called, I think, Windows XP installed.
  • You are going to need some sort of net connection for the Acurip and metadata functions.

But it's only a flick up online so XP should manage without problems.

We could have some fun tweaking up the old boy. :-)
  • Oh balls! I hadn't thought of that.

But I do run Bliss for putting metadata right. It may be a great test for it ;-)