Building Colin's SECA kit

167891012»

Comments

• Alan said:
    He is a swordsman with a soldering iron...
    And he likes Windmills does Don Coyote the wild dog from Sussex. 
  • Just getting together the components needed for this Wonfor amp build and I have a couple of wee questions, sorry if they have been answered in this thread but I can't find them.
    In the BOM for the psu I need to purchase 4x33000 35v caps. In the Farnel link and product No. 2357396 These seem to be out of production and I can't find anything similar.
    Secondly , am I correct in thinking that we do not need the relays product No. 2065712 for the psu?
    Thanks
  • James Relay OUT save money.

Now if you are using the Regulator PCB you can replace the 33,000uF  for 22,000uF

From here:-

• Shanks
    Why could I not find these caps myself. Strange
  • I cheat I hide away the 50yrs of experience so everybody thinks I stupid,i.e.a G.M. we love to hate,did.

• edited April 2016

Another build on the way.

Great news and superb amp.

hope all goes well.

sovereign said:
    Just getting together the components needed for this Wonfor amp build and I have a couple of wee questions, sorry if they have been answered in this thread but I can't find them. In the BOM for the psu I need to purchase 4x33000 35v caps. In the Farnel link and product No. 2357396 These seem to be out of production and I can't find anything similar. Secondly , am I correct in thinking that we do not need the relays product No. 2065712 for the psu? Thanks

sovereign said:
    Just getting together the components needed for this Wonfor amp build and I have a couple of wee questions, sorry if they have been answered in this thread but I can't find them. In the BOM for the psu I need to purchase 4x33000 35v caps. In the Farnel link and product No. 2357396 These seem to be out of production and I can't find anything similar. Secondly , am I correct in thinking that we do not need the relays product No. 2065712 for the psu? Thanks

• edited April 2016
    I decided to install a Velleman speaker protector board.

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/Marra49_photos/media/DSC_0642_zpssxelqq1k.jpg.html

This amp is still blowing my socks off.
  • edited April 2016
    Marra49 said:
    I decided to install a Velleman speaker protector board.

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/Marra49_photos/media/DSC_0642_zpssxelqq1k.jpg.html

This amp is still blowing my socks off.
    Nice unit is the Vellerman I can recommend it, it appears to be based on a John Linsey Hood design and I trust him.

As to blowing socks of you should a listen to the new 100W/Ch Alan (Sondale) and I are making wow a beasty indeed.
    Or get a sock braces or Super Glue them on like I do.Not staples it hurts like hell.
  • I'm searching for my garters as I type.
  • Ha ha I pulling out the staples OUCH
  • edited April 2016
    Started to build another one of Colins amps, I plan to build two of his DIY Class A beauties as I plan to run my speakers actively. As I plan to stack the three amps on top of each other I will just have to call them the Wonfor Tower of Power Which of you recognises my work table,

;) ;)

Hey there mine and where has the beer can gone.
  • The amp sounds brilliant driving my speakers full range so I would imagine an actively driven speaker will be absolutely awesome.

• Col would you have any objection to my having some One 4 Audio decals made for the front of my amp?
  • Man it is your amp you made it you could put "TQIC" if you like he he.
  • Thanking you. I'll stick with One 4 Audio.
  • He he OK what colour?
    And what font? 
  • It will be grey on the black front panel and font will be Kaufman.
  • edited May 2016
    Marra,
    This has piqued my interest. :-)
    How possible is it that I could get in on the deal and get one for mine...?
    How much do you imagine they'll cost each?
  • Sorry Doc as soon as Col  said he had no objection I placed an order.
    I use these guys;

http://www.dawsonsigns.co.uk/

They are not to expensive and provide a quality product; I've used them several times for various builds over the years. The only problem if you can call it that is that the smallest size is 10mm so ok for a main decal but a bit large for switch identification etc. They have a fast turn around.
  • edited May 2016
    imagephoto DSC_0662_zps4fi1dqph.jpg
  • Marra49 said:
    imagephoto DSC_0662_zps4fi1dqph.jpg
    The logo finishes things nicely.
    And thanks for letting me know about your efficient ordering! No worries! :-)

• That is amazing good job well done.

:D ~O)

•  Good stuff.

Very professional looking :)

• Thank you guys I appreciate the comments.
  • Marra49 said:
    Thank you guys I appreciate the comments.

Howard the editor of Hi-Fi Answers also like it well done, encore encore.  OK who's next.

• Thank you Howard.
  • edited June 2016
    Also I have rearranged the PSU which has with this simple mod will force the PSU board to close down in constant current mode. Less chance of smouldering FET,s

Change R10 to 1K and R11 to 10K, Change R13 to 1K and R10 to 10K as in this circuit.

• Thanks for the update Col.
  • Looks like some freaky shit going on there. The guy's being creative! :-)
  • And nice to see so much enthusiasm and no mention of Foot Blob or Dead Enders great, he he  >:) :D
  • Absolutely love those colling fan vents. :-)
  • That looks fun!
  • I have placed all and more about SECA here please add your work to help others.

• edited June 2016
    Also I have rearranged the PSU which has with this simple mod will force the PSU board to close down in constant current mode. Less chance of smouldering FET,s

Change R10 to 1K and R11 to 10K, Change R13 to 1K and R12 to 10K as in this circuit.

Corrected thanks Tommi

The Panasonic are OK, diodes ok

Read more: http://theaudiostandard.net/thread/2276/seca-kit-begins-build-log#ixzz4C6QISJ9Z
  • Nice looking build that. Needs some very srious '70s speakers from Japan to match the finish.