Yellow Ducks

edited August 2016 in Other stuff
Yep you read it right YELLOW DUCKS.

For fun and to keep my niece and nephew busy I got them too making Solar Powered  Yellow Rubber Ducks.

All you need is few tools a soldering iron solder a large yellow duck, I got theses from Smythe the Toy shop about £4.00 with some baby ducks, they escaped. 
Some cheap and nasty Solar Lights I got 4 for £1 and a Pound Saver Shop.
A drinking straw and a plastic spray tube of a WD40 can.
A lump or metal about 200grm.
Hot glue gun and sticks.

In version 1 I used a old cassette players 3V motor and a cheap AA 1.2V Nickel Hydride battery.
In version 2 I used again a old cassette playes 3V motor and a 10F 2.5V super cap from a old PC.

I am about to do version 3 which will be the best so far and will paste up how you can do it for your kids etc.

The above toy is version 2 see the Red PCB used as a prop.

This is version 1 note the plastic Blue prop from a toy a broken windmill.
This one only powered up in the dark as I use the original solar light PCB so in the morning it was in a new position on the London Docks.

Version 2 only worked when it was sunny and bright but it could splash a lot so it looked funny.

So now go build you own, my version 2 will be up soon as I get a new prop.

HAVE FUN 

Comments

Ballast glued to the ducks bum hot with melt glue.
  • Sorry mate thats just quackers!
  • Oooooh, don't get all flustered ducky, it's all good clean fun ;)

Reminds me of;

• Does it use an inducktion motor? :-D
  • edited August 2016
    ....and to stop a hand-drake!  X_X
  • I suggest those who are bored or just plain nuts should have a go, put Audiochew web address on them and lets see how far out to sea or river they get.  Any takers ?
  • edited August 2016
    AntiCrap said:
    I suggest those who are bored or just plain nuts should have a go, put Audiochew web address on them and lets see how far out to sea or river they get.  Any takers ?
    Make it a race between a few of them...
    Give the ducks different names / numbers, and before the start you could auction each one off to the highest bidder. The owner of the winning duck (the one that gets the furthest) wins a Wonfor amp! ;-)
  • Soundsgood and the money could go to a charity like Save The Welsh Rugby Team , maybe he he sorry Cancer research
  • I have ordered 10 props 30mm dia from The Hobby Shop  Ltd in Elm Park 01708 451 150 if anybody is interested they will be with me next week.
  • Here is the circuit for the 2.5V Solar Duck Motor Drive.