Do I need a pre amp?

I've recently acquired a Linn lk85 power amp for use in my workshop/playroom. At the moment I'm using an Arcam IRDac-11 to control volume/source. I've got a CD player and a Digi+ as sources. Apart from controlling volume/source, what else will a pre amp give me? I would be very interested to hear your views.

Comments

• I haven't have a pre-amp in my main system for a few years now. It's single source, and volume is controlled in the digital domain (see sig').
    No probs, and sounds great, tho others here tell me i should try some pre-amps ...! :-p
  • I'm no expert but I do have a long todger, so maybe that gives me some credentials, I don't know.

As I understand it with no pre amp at all like the Doc, you run the risk of frying your speakers if your source sends a current it shouldn't.  It's not a huge risk, but it is a risk all the same.
    Cotic, I would have thought you would be fine as your DAC has a volume control and is therefore acting as a passive pre amp of sorts.
    The only benefit of a separate pre amp that I can think of s the fact that the pre in your DAC will use cheaper components, if you had a stand alone passive pre you could make it with some pretty swanky components for an increase in sound quality, but we are not talking night and day differences here, so it may not be worth it in the end.  It depends how much spare cash you want to throw at it.
  • sovereign said:
    As I understand it with no pre amp at all like the Doc, you run the risk of frying your speakers if your source sends a current it shouldn't.
    Where Sov lives:
    Where I live:

:P
  • Do what Mr pre'less?
  • Seriously speaking, I am aware of the theoretical risk of this happening.
    I suspect it's very unlikely. I'm not sure the One4 I have could go loud enough. Touch wood. Occasionally I have passed maximum volume on from the PC on a loud audio track. It's been significantly unpleasant, but not explosive.
    I'm not sure how much "louder" a malfunctioning signal might be tho.
    If worst comes to the worst I have spare drivers in the attic...
    %-(
  • I have managed to fry a set of drive units when software on my Mac mini crashed and set out LOUD DIGITAL NOISE.

I now make sure there's a pre in my main system, although there's no pre in my office system. I keep meaning to get a cheap-ish passive in there, but there you are...
  • Thanks everyone, I think I will play it safe. I have just bought a pre amp, a Linn Exotik; circa 2004 I think. Better safe than sorry!!
  • Well, I'll continue to view things from here, alone then...

• If you buy me a ticket I'll come and sit with you mate.
  • sovereign said:
    If you buy me a ticket I'll come and sit with you mate.
    You like living dangerously, James.
  • sovereign said:
    If you buy me a ticket I'll come and sit with you mate.

:-bd
  • It's not the same thing. But I recently sold an NVA power amp. The blokes Pre amp malfunctioned which fried the NVA power amp and blew up his bloody expensive B&W speakers.
    To say the chap is upset is a wee understatement
  • Ah. So I have in fact eliminated one potential hazard to my system....
    Sad story for that bloke mind... :-(
  • sovereign said:
    It's not the same thing. But I recently sold an NVA power amp. The blokes Pre amp malfunctioned which fried the NVA power amp and blew up his bloody expensive B&W speakers. To say the chap is upset is a wee understatement
    He shouldn't have been running an active pre into the NVA. No wonder he blew it up.
  • uglymusic said:
    sovereign said:
    It's not the same thing. But I recently sold an NVA power amp. The blokes Pre amp malfunctioned which fried the NVA power amp and blew up his bloody expensive B&W speakers. To say the chap is upset is a wee understatement
    He shouldn't have been running an active pre into the NVA. No wonder he blew it up.
    True, kind of.
    It was Mk2 A80's.  The Mk2 kit has huge heat sinks to accommodate active pre amps now.
  • sovereign said:
    uglymusic said:
    sovereign said:
    True, kind of.
    It was Mk2 A80's.  The Mk2 kit has huge heat sinks to accommodate active pre amps now.
    Things have changed in NVA land since I was last there ;-)