Albarry Ap4 pre and S508 power amp advice needed please

My old friend has just bought these amps and he is looking for some speakers for them but doesn't know to start and neither do i as we cant find any spec for them on the web,All we know is they are 60 watts per channel. I havent got a clue what currents they push out or dumping factor? He is bit of an old rocker so likes speakers with a fair amount of bass. What speakers would be best? He doesn't have a lot of money £500 or less so something in that region if that helps.

Comments

• Albarry. Nice brand.
    What speakers does he have currently?
    Would he consider floorstanders...?
  • As an ex-Albarry owner, I can vouch for their sonic goodness.

I drove all kinds of stuff early in my reviewing career with them - big and small, efficient and inefficient. I don't recall anything that really stood out as being the speaker for them.

Not particularly helpful, huh? 
  • Docfoster said:

Albarry. Nice brand.
    What speakers does he have currently?
    Would he consider floorstanders...?

He has no speakers at the moment as he is having a complete change. Ideally he would like floorstanders.
  • Some folks here might suggest Royd...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Royd-Audio-Doublet-Stereo-Speakers-Main-Rare-Incredible-Stands-/172422468796?hash=item28252e14bc:g:ME4AAOSwAuZX69FS
    No idea if they are good value or not.

Large Dynaudio floorstanders from the Audience range always sounded in good in my setup (never had Albarry though). Clear, punchy sound with lots of bass might suit your friends rock sensibilities...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dynaudio-Audience-72SE-/122265598880?hash=item1c7798fba0:g:pbsAAOSwpLNX-NlX
  • I dont know what sound is like from the albarrys, i had the pp1 and it was a stonking little amp. But not sure if pre and power different. I suggested  spendor floorstanders like s6. I shall tell him about your idea's.
  • Judging from Dave's comments you're just listening for speakers that your friend likes the sound of.

As I'm a bit of a rock dawg too he cloud keep an eye open for stuff like Castle Harlech II or even Howard II or III, depending on room size, budget, etc...
    Epos 22
    Ruark Equinox/Paladin/Crusader
    Jamo Concert 8
    Maybe even some B&Ws if he likes their sound...CDM1xx, CDM7, Matrix 805.
    .....Or a curve ball like Yamaha NS1000s

The list goes on and on (plus new models), he should try to listen to a few models on his amps to at least form a preferance on the general sound he prefers.

• Yes i said he should get demo's,he would love a pair of Ruark Equinox.  But he doesn't do forum's apart from one i think he is on :/ so has asked me to ask around. Thanks fir your help . I f anyone should come across a pair of Equinox'x fir sale please let me know as i know he has cash waiting.
    cj66 said:
    Judging from Dave's comments you're just listening for speakers that your friend likes the sound of.

As I'm a bit of a rock dawg too he cloud keep an eye open for stuff like Castle Harlech II or even Howard II or III, depending on room size, budget, etc...
    Epos 22
    Jamo Concert 8

The list goes on and on (plus new models), he should try to listen to a few models on his amps to at least form a preferance on the general sound he prefers.

• cj66 said:
    Judging from Dave's comments you're just listening for speakers that your friend likes the sound of.

Epos 22
    Jamo Concert 8

That's funny, Chris. I ran a pair of original Ruark Crusaders for some time on the end of the Albarry power amps. They were pretty happy together.
  • Yeah i saw them, half tempted myself