David S Ware Quartet

The greatest tenor player since Coltrane, the late David S Ware and his Quartet - William Parker, Matthew Shipp and Guillermo E Brown - in blinding form.

Comments

• And, if you need a little explanation of the music, there's this documentary from the same period:

• uglymusic said:
    The greatest tenor player since Coltrane, the late David S Ware and his Quartet - William Parker, Matthew Shipp and Guillermo E Brown - in blinding form.

Thanks.
    Probably the most "Dave" sounding "Dave-jazz" I've heard in quite some time...
  • Absolutely Dave Jazz :-)

I didn't get it at all when I first heard him. He sounded like another free jazz screamer. But suddenly it clicked. This was music that had its roots in some earlier sax greats. 

Davis Spencer Ware had a direct connection to Sonny Rollins, from a generation or two before, stylistically (he took lessons from Rollins, and once you've heard it, it's obvious what they have in common).

More importantly, though, he was the person who carried Coltrane's torch from the early 70s right through to 2012, with his heyday between 1990 and 2012. It's difficult to see who has taken over from DSW :-( No one seems to have the depth and richness of music that he did.