Ortofon Red

Have finally got round to investing in a cartridge upgrade for my Pro-ject Debut. Am so pleased with how much difference the Ortofon Red is making. It's just an entry level set-up, but feel unashamed of the richness and clarity it's giving me. Sounds beautifully warm on these chilly evenings. And is especially doing wonders for female vocals.

One slight issue, the counterweight for the original cartridge is 10g too light. So have to make a decision to a) invest £20 on a Pro-ject 75g counterweight; b) carefully weigh 10g in washers; or c) make the current blutac option more permanent!! 

Comments

• Good for you and enjoy it.

If you use the calibration on the tonearm to set the effective weight (tracking force) of the cartridge then I'd go with the proper heavier counterweight. If you use stylus scales and/or fine tune by ear then no worries, just blu-tak a washer onto the back of the existing counterweight.
  • Is the counterweight not adjustable? Or is the force required greater than the maximum possible?
    Not sure which Pro-ject Debut you have, but here's a manual for one...
    http://www.project-audio.com/inhalt/en/manual/manual_debutcarbondc.pdf
  • Yeah, the counterweight is adjustable, but because it's underweight the poor thing kept dropping off the back of the tonearm before I could get the required force :dizzy:
    Thanks for manual link, it does confirm I need another 10g. And I am most tempted to go the creative, home-made route. Feeling reassured by your comment,CJ, that it'll do the job ok.
  • I still use the old Shure SFG-2 balance scales! Then fine tune by ear. That digital one is less fiddly though.
  • cj66 said:

I still use the old Shure SFG-2 balance scales! Then fine tune by ear. That digital one is less fiddly though.

I have a cheapo version of some balance scale. Turned out it measured at about 20% inaccuracy! :-D
    So yes, by ear safer once one's in the right ball park.
  • Suzy6toes said:

Yeah, the counterweight is adjustable, but because it's underweight the poor thing kept dropping off the back of the tonearm before I could get the required force :dizzy:

Ah. Righto!

And, homemade balast would have a certain charm! Could you use that together with your existing weight to keep the utility of a some fine and easy adjustment?
  • Sounds like another BIT killer sound yipeee
  • Down, Col!
  • Suzy6toes said:

Have finally got round to investing in a cartridge upgrade for my Pro-ject Debut. Am so pleased with how much difference the Ortofon Red is making. It's just an entry level set-up, but feel unashamed of the richness and clarity it's giving me. Sounds beautifully warm on these chilly evenings. And is especially doing wonders for female vocals

Wanted to acknowledge your satisfaction with the improvement. And that it ties in with my own experience of upgrading through carts: Often seemed to represent a very cost-efficient upgrade.

• And, homemade balast would have a certain charm! Could you use that together with your existing weight to keep the utility of a some fine and easy adjustment?

Yeah, I like the charm factor more than the saving 20 squids factor tbh! I reckon I can get the added weight pretty accurate, so should still be able to calibrate ok. Maybe that's blind optimism tho!!
    Have had a lovely weekend of vinyl.
  •  You could always try this route...

Dead cool and funky!

• cj66 said:
     You could always try this route...

Dead cool and funky!

That is brilliant.
    ^:)^ =D>

(And, sounds pretty good for vinyl, I thought. Some of the best pitch stability I've heard... :P )
  • Dead cool and funky indeed. But I think this is more my current level....

• Don't worry Doc, I won't be trying it out on any of your vinyl currently residing in my collection  :D
  • Suzy6toes said:

Dead cool and funky indeed. But I think this is more my current level....

Wow. Incredible.
    I'm amazed that Linn let cameras into their factory. I always assumed that they kept the manufacture of the LP12 a closely guarded secret.
  • Suzy6toes said:

On a more serious note, who are the 72 miserable sods who gave that ingenious creativity a thumbs down...?!
  • Linn secret holder or the men in Black maybe
    Docfoster said:

On a more serious note, who are the 72 miserable sods who gave that ingenious creativity a thumbs down...?!