How not to send a TOCA via post

edited January 2017 in Amplifiers
I am posting this to warn others, these amps are bloody heavy, so when droped they smash things, I have not opened the chassis yet but from the twisted chassis I suspect a mess lies inside.

Comments

• I spent alot of time and money rebuilding this amp.

You even said how nice it was at the time, so not sure why you are now saying its a cock up made from scrap bits.

• edited January 2017
    What is a real shame the original design did not have the big green button and there were black, this one is a special.
    On the originals, the "A" symbol was a touch switch.
    The internal are the same design except they have been upgraded to better and newer components a bargain, and bloody good workmanship, just magic.
    To build the KIT would cost lots more and time.

• Trying to copy and past a link, but cant.

The above text is what you wrote when the amp was for sale before.
  • The pcb work is fantastic but now chassis mangled and a few pcb bit broken
  • Actually the PCB's are not fantastic, as some idiot fitted caps that don't bloody fit !

• Do you need new PCB's ?

I still have some here. Let me know.
  • edited January 2017
    quickie said:

What is a real shame the original design did not have the big green button and there were black, this one is a special.
    On the originals, the "A" symbol was a touch switch.
    The internal are the same design except they have been upgraded to better and newer components a bargain, and bloody good workmanship, just magic.
    To build the KIT would cost lots more and time.
    Hi Paul

The links aren't working because the image link button has been used - the links are to a point within a discussion page, not an image.

What were you trying to achieve? I'll see if I can put it right for you.

Edit: I've made the page address you were using into a live link. Give me a shout if that's not what you wanted.
  • Hi Dave,

I was trying to put a link for the TOCA for sale thread, but it doesn't matter now. Thanks anyway.
  • edited January 2017
    No worries. I see now. You cut and pasted the words you wanted into the post.

Dave's brain is not a well thing at this time on a Friday. It needs immersing in a bucket of red wine ;-)
  • Shambles. :-(

Damn shame if such a well restored lovely amp has been wrecked.
  • The pcbs are so well made, but a few bits have broken of, it brought tear to my ears, knowing how Paul spent long hours making this beast.
    Such a shames but it will be fixed.
  • AntiCrap said:

The pcbs are so well made, but a few bits have broken of, it brought tear to my ears, knowing how Paul spent long hours making this beast.

Such a shames but it will be fixed.
    You guys really care about your creations.
    Something important invested...
  • edited February 2017
    Anything further on this?

Has the amp been nursed back to 100% funtionality?
    Has it returned to previous owner or stayed with the new one?
    How extensive was the damage?
    Have Colin and Paul kissed and made up?
    :x

• Lol, i'm sure Colin will work his magic on it :)

• Just wham the case back into shape waiting for paint to dry it is looking good,
    Some of Paul,s lovely work on the PCB's has been destroyed by the sheer impact.
    But with time and lots of screaming expletives it "WILL WORK AGAIN" there I go again." Pass the hammer M"
  • Well the beasty is nearly all back together with new caps and FET,s 10off plus a few other bits, repainted after I bashed all the metal work as flat as I can. So early next week I will fire it up and see if all is well. phew it was hard work and heavy, cutting a re-taping heatsinks, fixing right angle brackets and now to sort the front out.
    Will post pics soon.

•  
     How are you fixing the front on. Glue ?

Why did it need new FET's ?
  • edited February 2017
    FET,s Leg all broke off except 1 same with the Darlington's.
    Front will have new bolts fixed to the granite and mounted with luck to Heatsinks and base. 

The impact was so severe the a cube foot was force into the base and split the chassis. Nasty fall from about 6ft high I suspect.

•  O dear, that does sound like a major impact.

Look forward to the pics :)

• I cried when saw it, poor thing.
  • Dead Bits replaced on one board and brackets added, now for number two.

• Good work Colin. Brings back memories :)

Better with the ali brackets like the other TOCA I had which Ben has now.
  • And sore fingers, I tried fixing the granite front panel on, so after 5 masonry drills lots of noise I managed to drill into the granite about 3mm this took 5hrs and that was just one hole and it is 12mm thick, give up time me thinks . I am glad the owner now wants to fill a metal front phew. All the PCB's work now so to fit it all together with the transformers etc.
  • Diamond tipped hole saw, and plenty of water is probably the only way you stand a fighting chance :)

Metal front sounds like a much better plan !
  • quickie said:
    Diamond tipped hole saw, and plenty of water is probably the only way you stand a fighting chance :) Metal front sounds like a much better plan !
    That's how a precision engineer like yourself would do it Paul. And you'd get perfect results too.

But I would imagine that this is a much more Wonfor way of achieving some approximation of that...

•  
     Lol...........I could have done with some of that today at work..........precisely inserted up.............:)

• Easy to make post it on "So you want deep bass" sound around no probs.

• edited March 2017
    TOCA working photos not so good.

imageimageimage
  • edited March 2017
    Top job, sir.
    Here's a clearer picture of what is being achieved....
  • Colin in his younger days, then?
  • How old would Col have been in 32AD?
  • I just turned 15,000,000,000,000 yrs well bits of me are,.
  • edited March 2017
    AntiCrap said:
     bits of me are,.
    Whaaaaaat! You're digital ?
    :D
  • Oooh, now you'll be in the shit, Chris!!
  • cj66 said:
    AntiCrap said:
     bits of me are,.
    Whaaaaaat! You're digital ?
    :D
    Hey man time is not digital, unless you become extinct , then the bit stop there. So join the queue I am first.
  • I like it thanks.