Happy update on very old nagaoka!

This is an update to my Oct '16 post. When going through some old bits and pieces, can't remember what I as actually looking for, I found a nagaoka mp 50 stylus. Don't remember buying it or using it, but it had been used. So fitted it to the Stilton nagaoka body, attached it to my Linn basik plus arm, on my Michell Syncro, put Bowie's Blackstar on and voilà, beautiful music!! I'm so pleased and amazed that it sounds so good. I've got the Syncro attached to my (updated by Col ) Claymore, just back from him after I managed to break it by using a dodgy interconnect, a wire became unattached and shorted in the cable I've since discovered. The Claymore was always great, but is now brilliant, I'm in love with it all over again! The Syncro/Claymore combination works so well to my ears. I'm using KEF XQ20's, which I got from a local shop half price last year. The KEF's are very detailed, which I like, but can sound a little bright according to reviewers. Not so with the Claymore, the Claymore's punchy weight sounds perfect with them. I'm one very happy bunny!! So the moral of this story is; it's perfectly OK to be a hoarder, you never know when you are going to unearth the part that makes a half a whole!!

Comments

• Sounds all good.

I'm glad you've got it all working so well.
  • Thanks Dave, I spent a good deal of time setting up the deck, and used a Heybrook protractor to set up the cartridge, but it was certainly time well spent.
  • It's so long since I set up a deck - decades! But I do remember the extreme farting about to get it right :-O

I'm glad you have the patience.
  • A lot of good news and satisfaction in that write-up cotic. :-)
    You've gotta love it when plans come together.
  • Thanks Doc, yes I have got a lot of satisfaction from getting it working as well as I can. It's true there was quite a bit of "farting about", but it was practicle farting about. Rather than not really knowing what I am doing when getting the RPi moode player working; as some of my threads will testify! I can understand how a record deck works and what does what. Haven't got a clue how the RPi works, but it sounds good when it does.
  • FWIW, I know how a TT works, but am happier playing with an RPi! 

• My first ever turntable, which I bought back in the late 80's (Rega 3) , I had fitted with a Linn Basik (AT93 ?) cartridge, as I couldn't really afford anything better after shelling out 188 quid for the turntable !

Apart from the poor end of side tracking, it was a bloody good starter cartridge, and I really wanted a Linn K9 but it was 59 pounds and my new local dealer then didn't stock Linn stuff.

He ended up selling me a Nagaoka MP11 Boron, which I think I paid £34 for. Bargain.

Great cartridge, and an excellent upgrade. Ended up getting a job there as well, and selling loads of Incatech Claymores too :)

• I think I bought my Claymore in Billy Vee's in Lewisham, you didn't sell me mine did you? The turntable came from a shop in Wigmore St believe, but I can't remember what it was called. I was advised by the shop to go for the Linn arm, rather than the Rega, but since then, I have never read anyone rating the Linn over the Rega; not sure I would be able to hear the difference anyway!
  • Wasn't the Wigmore Street shop KJ Leisuresound? 

They sold me my Albarry Power Amps and Arcam CD transport, a long, long time ago.

I used to live in New Cross, so Billy Vee was my local dealer, although I don't think I ever bought anything big from them.
  • quickie said:

. Ended up getting a job there as well, and selling loads of Incatech Claymores too :)

I didn't realise you were in audio retail too. Is that how you and Colin first became aquainted?
    When I started I think Inca Tech was wrapping up and I sold the last Claymores and Dirk that they had ('88 ish?). My own Claymore (then, I own a different one now) was previously purchased in Surrey.
  • I can't remember the name of the shop, it was my nearest Michell dealer. I was undecided between a a Manticore Mantra and the Syncro, but the Syncro's beauty sold it to me; I still think it looks fantastic.
  • The Syncro was (is) a classic.

Manticore Mantra was probably the mid range deck to beat at the time though :)
  • cj66 said:
    quickie said:

. Ended up getting a job there as well, and selling loads of Incatech Claymores too :)

I didn't realise you were in audio retail too. Is that how you and Colin first became aquainted?
    When I started I think Inca Tech was wrapping up and I sold the last Claymores and Dirk that they had ('88 ish?). My own Claymore (then, I own a different one now) was previously purchased in Surrey.
    I don't think I ever met Colin back then.

His dad was the sales rep, and I met him a few times.

Lovely guy. Took myself and the boss out to lunch once, and I had far too much to drink. Had to take the afternoon off ! Good times :)