Harold and Maude

My husband raves about this film, but I never quite find myself in the mood to give it a go. This evening I did. And laughed outloud pretty much all the way through! The acting and background action in so many of the scenes is just so beautifully timed and , despite a few sickly sweet bits I could live without, it almost always manages a perfect moment of bathos. There are elements (I think) of Jacques Tati and Stanley Kubrick in some of the timing, use of sound and directing (the women walking in step very Tati). An odd mix maybe. But one that worked for me. And thematically (existentialism rather than geriaphilia) just my cuppa.

Also, Cat Stevens soundtrack interweaves, and there are some nice little moments of diegetic and non-diegetic sound being playful with each other.

I did know the ending before I started watching, but it still worked for me.

Any one ever seen? 
8-X

Comments

• I haven't.
    Your reviews are the best written things on the internet.
    I was hoping that "bathos" was a way of emotionally blackmailing a child into washing their hair, but having looked up the word it isn't that...
    In any event, the film sounds worth a look. Thanks.
  • Docfoster said:
    I haven't. Your reviews are the best written things on the internet. I was hoping that "bathos" was a way of emotionally blackmailing a child into washing their hair, but having looked up the word it isn't that... In any event, the film sounds worth a look. Thanks.
    Why thank you. Voiced appreciation always..well..appreciated ;-)
    Hope I havent over-sold the film. I scored it 7/10. Good rewatchability factor important for me on any film over 5 though. 

• I have seen it, but so long ago, I've forgotten just about everything about it.

Wasn't Bathos the fourth musketeer?
  • I thought Bathos were flying, featherless, ladies of the night!
    :D
  • uglymusic said:
    Wasn't Bathos the fourth musketeer?

Not sure. I  really struggle to remember all 4. I think I can recall 3, though Bathos is number 2 on my list...
    Argos, Bathos, Urethritis...

cj66 said:
    I thought Bathos were flying, featherless, ladies of the night! :D
    AFAIK, Suzy ticks 3 of those 4 boxes.
  • Suzy6toes said:

Docfoster said:

I scored it 7/10. Good rewatchability factor important for me on any film over 5 though. 

7 is a high score from you. :-)
  • "Not sure. I really struggle to remember all 4. I think I can recall 3, though Bathos is number 2 on my list...

Argos, Bathos, Urethritis..."

Easy! Dogtanyan.

• AFAIK, Suzy ticks 3 of those 4 boxes.

Doc, I've carefully crafted my chews online identity as a non harridan. And now you've gone an given the game away. Shame on you!! ;-)