Eh??

So, since joining Chews (and as a bet with my Pops) I have started an iGCSE in Physics so I might begin to stand some chance of getting to grips with some of the tech talk (at a very basic level!). 
It's fun. I'm loving it. And am averaging about 80% with my assignments, which I consider not bad for an English&Theatre Studies graduate!! And which is satisfyingly p*ssing off my dad!!
Anyway, am just starting on waves. And I need some help to understand something please....

Sound waves are longitudinal waves. Right? Not transverse waves. Yeah? So how come, when illustrating amplitude it is demonstrated as if it's transverse, measuring the height from top of wave to midline??? I'm sure I'm missing a simple answer here. But I aint seeing it on my own. PLease help.

Comments

• Is it possibly a confusion between actual waveform and measuring the frequencies of said waveforms. i. e. The representive wave forms are obviously different but when measuring frequency the same method is used?
    I must admit the question had never crossed my mind so when I saw yours I had an "oh yeah" moment. :-/
  • Col, I always love your optimistic faith :bz
  • cj66 said:

Is it possibly a confusion between actual waveform and measuring the frequencies of said waveforms. i. e. The representive wave forms are obviously different but when measuring frequency the same method is used?
    I must admit the question had never crossed my mind so when I saw yours I had an "oh yeah" moment. :-/

So it's maybe more of a visual convenience maybe? I can live with that if so.