fave recommendations

edited April 2017 in Other music
Thinking about the Listening To ... thread, I started thinking about what are some of the best recommendations / new finds ive made courtesy of Chews. The first that comes to mind for me is RL Burnside :A Bothered Mind

Comments

• Oo. I missed this. Just catching up now. It's great. :-)
  • Good idea for a thread BTW. I'll have a think...
  • Docfoster said:

Good idea for a thread BTW. I'll have a think...

Slight essence of ouroboros about it! But what the hell!
  • edited April 2017
    I

Suzy6toes said:
    "Ouroboros"... even the spell check doesn't recognise that. That's my new word of the week. Will try to use it as often as possible.

Regarding the topic, the first (of many I think) example that came to mind, was this (from Dave a couple of years ago I think)...

• Docfoster said:
    I

Suzy6toes said:
    "Ouroboros"... even the spell check doesn't recognise that. That's my new word of the week. Will try to use it as often as possible.

Regarding the topic, the first (of many I think) example that came to mind, was this (from Dave a couple of years ago I think)...

I certainly have a copy.
  • uglymusic said:

Docfoster said:

I

Suzy6toes said:

Docfoster said:

I certainly have a copy.

Yep, that one made it into my catalogue too. Nice one Dave.
  • Isn't that wonderful? I love it! :-)
  • I thought I'd revive this thread with some John Coltrane recommendations:
    • Giant Steps
    • My Favorite Things
    • Africa Brass
    • A Love Supreme
    • Interstellar Space
    In my view, anything by JC on Impulse! is worth having, but you have got to start somewhere. And there lies a problem. I don't think anyone should start with Interstellar Space! It's notoriously difficult, recorded at the end of his life, but I like to think he made a concerted attempt at cramming everything he'd learned into two sides. 
  • Well that's my weekend listening sorted for me then. Thanks Dave
  • We aim to please :-)
  • edited May 2017
    This is one for Helen, as weeks ago, I promised some recommendations on Spotify for Alice Coltrane-influenced music (and some John Coltrane, too).

I'm sure I must have posted this before, as I've streamed it a lot over the past couple of years (must actually buy a copy):

• Thanks Dave. Well remembered. Look forward to checking this out this evening :-)
  • No problem!

More to follow, I'm sure.
  • uglymusic said:

This is one for Helen, as weeks ago, I promised some recommendations on Spotify for Alice Coltrane-influenced music (and some John Coltrane, too).

I'm sure I must have posted this before, as I've streamed it a lot over the past couple of years (must actually buy a copy):

Nothing ugly here Dave. V beautiful in fact. I'll happily accept that as a fave recommendation :-)
  • Suzy6toes said:

Nothing ugly here Dave. V beautiful in fact. I'll happily accept that as a fave recommendation :-)
    It is nice. I totally agree.

Now I have to find something else for you.
  • How about some World Music or is it World Jazz?

Codona - Codona

Collin Walcott, Don Cherry and Nana Vasconcelos made three albums (plus, perhaps a fourth live one. I'm not sure if it's actually a bootleg or an official release). If you haven't heard them, you're in for a treat. Here's a live video from 1984 that's as great a place to start as any - there's a pile of stuff on YT, if I've managed to whet your appetite:

• For me this one as it seems ideal for me.