Listening to ...

Comments

• edited April 2017
    cj66 said:
    Re Genesis. Like any other catagorised music Prog t'aint for everypeeps, the mentioned flourishes I can see as being make or break. You (plural) gave it a shot and that's what counts.
    Steady, steady... :-)
    I was deliberately reserved in my first post about Foxtrot... I was still getting my head around a very new type of music (to me).
    I have no familiarity with prog, so Genesis wasn't going to be immediately accessible to me. My musical tastes in terms of genre are fairly narrow. I work hard to widen them (out of conscientiousness and guilt mainly), but for whatever reason, the musical styles that I genuinely enjoy are quite limited in number.
    The first hit from Foxtrot I did find alien. But over the past few days it has really grown on me. If I was to try to find words to describe the album I think I locate "interesting" and "stimulating" and "engaging". Musically and lyrically. For me the flourishes are a "make".
    I certainly feel like I want to listen to Foxtrot again, and expect to keep doing so for a good while.
    Not sure if that's because or despite of its prog roots.

Edit...
    Types of music that I generally "like"*
    • Blues
    • 1950s jazz
    • Cuban jazz
    • Late 1960s pop
    • 1970s funk
    • Early 90s indie
    • US hip-hop
    • UK hip-hop
    • Trip-hop
    • Ambient / trance
    • Reggae
    • Dub
    *Obviously there are positive and negative exceptions!
  • edited April 2017
    Public Image Limited - Album (Remixed)

As apposed to Public Image Limited - CD ;-)

No personnel list was ever printed on the packaging. According to Wikipedia, Bill Laswell the producer roped this lot in:

Personnel[edit]

Additional personnel[edit]

• edited April 2017
    George Duke - Faces in Reflection

IMHO, the finest thing George Duke did. Recorded at the time Duke was in Frank Zappa's band, I think. 

It's Duke on keyboards (mainly electric piano), with John Heard on acoustic bass and Leon Ndugu Chancler on drums. I particularly love the bass playing, but the three are on great form.

I had this on vinyl, on the MCP/BASF label, found in a second hand shop in the midlands somewhere. Now I have it on HD digital. 
  • Mary Halvorson, Michael Formanek and Tomas Fujiwara - Thumbscrew

Not anywhere as nasty as the title or the lineup suggest. 
  • Jethro Tull, Crest of a Knave....
    Although a later release one of my faves by them.

• edited April 2017
    Lots there for me to check out, Dave.

This morning though I'm playing Peter Gabriel Live 1983 in light of this weeks Genesis listening. A bit of a comparative study in my mind. First impressions: plenty in common in terms of the melodrama, the mystical/primitive allusions, but something maybe a bit more stripped back but more repetitive from the Genesis days, less narrative (?), and something in how the beats seem (in my mind at least) to be moving from the Celtic to the African. That might be b*llocks,and, as ever, the ear doesn't get much more lay(wo)man than mine! But it's entertaining me on a Saturday morning.Apologies for inflicting it on you guys tho!!
  • cj66 said:

Jethro Tull, Crest of a Knave....
    Although a later release one of my faves by them.

Funnily enough, I had a Tull day recently, but played most of the 'obvious' stuff. Enjoyed it. Got it out of my system :-)
  • Suzy6toes said:

Lots there for me to check out, Dave.

This morning though I'm playing Peter Gabriel Live 1983 in light of this weeks Genesis listening. A bit of a comparative study in my mind. First impressions: plenty in common in terms of the melodrama, the mystical/primitive allusions, but something maybe a bit more stripped back but more repetitive from the Genesis days, less narrative (?), and something in how the beats seem (in my mind at least) to be moving from the Celtic to the African. That might be b*llocks,and, as ever, the ear doesn't get much more lay(wo)man than mine! But it's entertaining me on a Saturday morning.Apologies for inflicting it on you guys tho!!
    Try the George Duke. It's a real lost masterpiece.

On PG (trying desperately to avoid a Monkey Tea joke), I think you're right about the rhythms. His interest in world music that flowered publicly with his WOMAD support and Real World Records is evidence as well.
  • George Duke it is then. Thanks for the help prioritising.
  • Suzy6toes said:

George Duke it is then. Thanks for the help prioritising.

LOL!

I may play it next, but I'm not sure if the boss will like it. We have Rag'n'Bone Man on at the moment.

After Ben's remark this week, I've just characterised him as Adele for people with tattoos.
  • Ok. Not at all what I was expecting. It's gorgeous! (thats a technical term of course).
  • Suzy6toes said:

Ok. Not at all what I was expecting. It's gorgeous! (thats a technical term of course).

George Duke?
  • uglymusic said:

Suzy6toes said:

Ok. Not at all what I was expecting. It's gorgeous! (thats a technical term of course).

George Duke?
    Yep. Been listening again and that word is still fitting ok for me. It's like a chaotic endearing wonderland-scape. Apologies if this grossly underestimates it.

:\">
  • edited April 2017
    The faves keep spinning...

More recent...

More-er recenterer

• Suzy6toes said:
    George Duke?
    Yep. Been listening again and that word is still fitting ok for me. It's like a chaotic endearing wonderland-scape. Apologies if this grossly underestimates it. :\">
    I'm glad you're getting so much from it. 
  • Death of a Ladies Man - good ol' Leonard.
  • Robert Glasper Experiment - Artscience

It's just dawned on me that Robert Glasper is George Duke 40 years on.

No matter, I like this album from last year.
  • Sam Rivers - Contrasts

One of my favourite albums by the great Sam Rivers. I actually saw him live not long after this album was released (1980).

As the New York Loft Scene (of which Rivers was a leading figure) crumbled at the end of the 70s, this album popped up on ECM. I bought in on vinyl not long after it came out, and found some parts a bit of a challenge. I don't think there was a cd version until relatively recently, when it ECM put it out in a cardboard gatefold-type sleeve at a reduced price. I jumped on it!
  • Dug out some prog excess,
    BJH live (not live tapes which is inferior) with some delightfully extended mixes of some of their best tunes

Apparently the copy I have on L.P. (double and gatefold of course) is the original pressing and worth a bit so I play my recorded copies instead and keep the L.P. safely cocooned.
  • edited May 2017
    Tommy Guerro "100 Years" (from his album "A little bit of something")
  • Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

• I'm listening to stuff that feels appropriate to a sunny early-afternoon Friday...
  • Docfoster said:
    Hey, I like this!

A question. Is Guerro a typo? I've found a Tommy Guerrero on Tidal who looks like he could be the guy.
  • Docfoster said:
    Hey, I like this!

A question. Is Guerro a typo? I've found a Tommy Guerrero on Tidal who looks like he could be the guy.
    Good spot. :-) Yes it was a typo. Quite deliberate. ;-)
  • Great. Thanks

I'm listening to Perpetual at the moment, and love it! A little bit of something isn't on Tidal. I'll have a look on Spotify later.
  • uglymusic said:
    Great. Thanks

I'm listening to Perpetual at the moment, and love it! A little bit of something isn't on Tidal. I'll have a look on Spotify later.
    Thanks for the heads up on Perpetual. I don't know that one. Will check it out. 
    "A little bit of something" was given to me by a mate a few years ago, and is the only thing I have by Mr. Guerrero (who appears to be a multi-talented chap, having just looked into him a bit).
  • Perpetual seems to be his latest offering, although there doesn't seem to be a date for it on Tidal. It's kind-of surf rock meets ambient with some really nice jazz-inspired drumming. 

He does seem to be a little multi-skilled, doesn't he?
  • edited May 2017
    John Coltrane - Live at Birdland

Not one of the four or five Coltrane albums everyone must have ;-) but an album that has two fantastic tracks that everyone must have :-)

The album is bookended by joy and sadness. Well, almost. Impulse! didn't leave us sitting in sadness. There's one more track to bring us up again so we play the album again :-)

• edited May 2017
    Sex Mob - Plays Bond

From the sublime JC, to the sometimes silly Sex Mob...

• uglymusic said:

Not one of the four or five Coltrane albums everyone must have ;-) but an album that has two fantastic tracks that everyone must have :-)

The album is bookended by joy and sadness. Well, almost. Impulse! didn't leave us sitting in sadness. There's one more track to bring us up again so we play the album again :-)

Enjoyed those. More than some of the "must have" Coltrane's that I do have. :-)
  • edited May 2017
    Hadn't seen this video for this song before. :D

(Roots Manuva "Witness The Fitness")

• Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

They are great. Glad you enjoyed them, Ben.

Now, these 'must have' Coltranes... Was I anything to do with recommending them?
  • edited May 2017
    No where near as good as the studio version on the 'Love and Fear' album, but I can't find that studio version on Youtube. I do like Tom Russell...
    "The Pugilist at 59":

• uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Now, these 'must have' Coltranes... Was I anything to do with recommending them?
    Well these 3, yes:
    • My Favorite Things
    • Africa Brass
    • Interstellar Space

Thanks.

Giant Steps and A Love Supreme were pressed into my collection some years ago by a sax playing friend, who even bought them for me on special edition vinyl. Giant Steps I do like, A Love Supreme is a bit much for me I'm afraid.

• More Tom Russell. "Who's Gonna Build Your Wall?"
  • edited May 2017
    uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Well these 3, yes:
    • My Favorite Things
    • Africa Brass
    • Interstellar Space

Thanks.

Giant Steps and A Love Supreme were pressed into my collection some years ago by a sax playing friend, who even bought them for me on special edition vinyl. Giant Steps I do like, A Love Supreme is a bit much for me I'm afraid.

A shame you don't get on with A Love Supreme, but there you go. Maybe it's the dividing line between the Dave universe and the Ben universe?
  • Thurston Moore - Rock n Roll Consciousness
  • edited May 2017
    Jesus Jones "Info Freako". Loved this. Listening to it now made me smile, like meeting myself 25 years ago, when I was loving it. Hopefully, both ok in small doses.
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Thurston Moore - Rock n Roll Consciousness
    I take it you know that Mr Moore is a massive Free Jazz nut?
  • It comes as no surprise. But "know"...no. As always, Dave, you do me the flattery of over estimating me. Thank you :-)
  • Suzy6toes said:
    It comes as no surprise. But "know"...no. As always, Dave, you do me the flattery of over estimating me. Thank you :-)
    Well, there you go, I thought everyone was as sad as me with knowing about this stuff! :-)

This is the list/article most people turn to when they want to prove Thursy-baby's Free Jazz Credentials - most of this stuff I either haven't heard or even haven't heard of.
  • Jamie Saft, Steve Swallow and Bobby Previte, with Iggy Pop - Loneliness Road
  • Joy Division - Effenaar Club, Eindhoven, Netherlands 18-1-1980
  • Paal Nilssen-Love - Twenty Seven Years Later

It's not on YT, but here's another drum solo from the man himself.

• Prince - 1999
  • uglymusic said:
    Paal Nilssen-Love - Twenty Seven Years Later

Thanks Dave.
    Haven't had the chance to get through all of it yet, but I get a lot from a good drummer. Something very immediate and primal about so creatively isolating rhythm from the overall musical experience.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Paal Nilssen-Love - Twenty Seven Years Later

Thanks Dave.
    Haven't had the chance to get through all of it yet, but I get a lot from a good drummer. Something very immediate and primal about so creatively isolating rhythm from the overall musical experience.
    It sometimes takes me a while to 'get' an unfamiliar drummer. That was certainly the case with PNL, but for me he's phenomenal, one of the very best working at the moment.

Have you noticed he's playing two snares in the above clip?
  • uglymusic said:

One "standard" snare and a piccolo snare (shallower, far right). The latter has more "cut" but less depth, rimshots can be really dramatic off these.
  • cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:

One "standard" snare and a piccolo snare (shallower, far right). The latter has more "cut" but less depth, rimshots can be really dramatic off these.
    I hadn't noticed that, Chris.

I'm not sure if it's in that clip, or another one I've seen, but the piccolo snare has a severely dented head. It was suggested on YT that PNL was such a bad player that he'd caused the damage through his playing. I think we can ignore that :-) So, I guess it's to achieve a certain sort of sound.
  • Alan Silva - The Shout/Portrait From A Small Woman

Of course it's not on YT. But this, which is similar, is: