Listening to ...

Comments

• edited May 2017
    uglymusic said:

I'm not sure if it's in that clip, or another one I've seen, but the piccolo snare has a severely dented head. It was suggested on YT that PNL was such a bad player that he'd caused the damage through his playing. I think we can ignore that :-) So, I guess it's to achieve a certain sort of sound.
    I think it's fairer to say he's an experimental player, hitting cymbols with other cymbols is not considered good practice either as it will also lead to damage that will detrimentally change the sound of them. I couldn't say I would listen to what he was doing for entertainment but I would for inspiration. It was more like his own toying with sounds in private, what happens if I do this or that, can I make it all hang together, can I go against this fixed idea and make it something new...etc.

Maybe he's the Lars Ulrich of Jazz? (Infamous as one of the hardest hitting drummers around that wears out heads much faster than others, sometimes using 2 snare heads for one concert)

• cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:

I'm not sure if it's in that clip, or another one I've seen, but the piccolo snare has a severely dented head. It was suggested on YT that PNL was such a bad player that he'd caused the damage through his playing. I think we can ignore that :-) So, I guess it's to achieve a certain sort of sound.
    I think it's fairer to say he's an experimental player, hitting cymbols with other cymbols is not considered good practice either as it will also lead to damage that will detrimentally change the sound of them. I couldn't say I would listen to what he was doing for entertainment but I would for inspiration. It was more like his own toying with sounds in private, what happens if I do this or that, can I make it all hang together, can I go against this fixed idea and make it something new...etc.

Maybe he's the Lars Ulrich of Jazz? (Infamous as one of the hardest hitting drummers around that wears out heads much faster than others, sometimes using 2 snare heads for one concert)

Two sides of drum solos is only for drummers, I think.

He does play in some, shall we say, challenging environments with a few of the most notoriously loud sax players around - Peter Brotzmann, Mats Gustafsson etc., so I guess he has little use for brushes in those gigs :-)

Here's The Thing in concert, for your enjoyment:

• Van Morrison - Too Late To Stop Now Vols II, III & IV

That should do me for a while!
  • I listened to The Thing in concert, I'm getting worried, I liked much of it on first listen! Who knows what further listening could do.

• cj66 said:
    I listened to The Thing in concert, I'm getting worried, I liked much of it on first listen! Who knows what further listening could do.

Look for an album called Garage by The Thing. If it's not on any of the usual places, then most of it should be on Soundcloud. 

They're rock fans as well as jazzers, and have played with rock bands.
  • Anthony Ortega - New Dance

TBH, I was surprised to find this in YT, but here is the title track:

• uglymusic said:
    Look for an album called Garage by The Thing. If it's not on any of the usual places, then most of it should be on Soundcloud. 

I had guessed the rock angle, there are even familiar little morcels from rock greats, along with regular drops into 4 time.
    At first pass on Garage I thought what-the-@&;%$ was that. Maybe the wrong mood but on a later second pass enjoyed most of what on offer. I must admit to prefering the pieces with a familiar drive and form with the nutzoid screaming sax laid over the top.
    I think maybe a band best enjoyed live?
  • cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:

I had guessed the rock angle, there are even familiar little morcels from rock greats, along with regular drops into 4 time.
    At first pass on Garage I thought what-the-@&;%$ was that. Maybe the wrong mood but on a later second pass enjoyed most of what on offer. I must admit to prefering the pieces with a familiar drive and form with the nutzoid screaming sax laid over the top.
    I think maybe a band best enjoyed live?
    They aren't the most mellifluous listen. I have to be in the mood, too.

Are the morsels on Garage? It's their garage rock album.

I missed out on seeing them with Neneh Cherry (sold out) and a second time on their own (cock-up over the date) in London, so I haven't yet had the pleasure(?).
  • uglymusic said:

I missed out on seeing them with Neneh Cherry (sold out) and a second time on their own (cock-up over the date) in London, so I haven't yet had the pleasure(?).
    Yuppity, on Garage and the live piece you linked to before. Every so often you get a oh-that's-so-n-so moment....

Not to keen on Neneh Cherry though, a few decent pop songs but she's what my family call a "chippy". i.e. Someone with a huge chip on their shoulder, either they belong to a past repressed segment of society or have had what they deem as raw a deal and think we should all have to know about it or owe them something for it. An extremely overrated singer/talent(sic) in my book.

I'm difficult to please as it is with female singers but she doesn't even get close!
  • edited May 2017
    cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:

Yuppity, on Garage and the live piece you linked to before. Every so often you get a oh-that's-so-n-so moment....

Not to keen on Neneh Cherry though, a few decent pop songs but she's what my family call a "chippy". i.e. Someone with a huge chip on their shoulder, either they belong to a past repressed segment of society or have had what they deem as raw a deal and think we should all have to know about it or owe them something for it. An extremely overrated singer/talent(sic) in my book.

I'm difficult to please as it is with female singers but she doesn't even get close!
    I'll have to listen to the live piece again.

Trivia warning:

Neneh Cherry's connection to The Thing is that she is the daughter of trumpeter Don Cherry, and The Thing were originally formed to play Don Cherry tunes and are named after a Don Cherry track.

I shan't judge her vocal talents.
  • Robert Wyatt - Cuckooland

• edited May 2017
    Shaggy "Piece of my Heart"
  • White Lies "Death"
  • The Rutles movie Fair play, Neil Innes did a good (too good in places) job...! :-)
  • 808 State "Lift"
  • Roberta Flack "Compared to what?"
  • Tom Russell "American Rivers"
    (Apologies for the cloying display of the lyrics. It was the only video of the studio version that I could find on YT)
  • Randy Weston - Uhuru Afrika

Can't find this album on YT, but here's a version of the title track recorded some 15 years later:

• Paul Motian - Conception Vessel

This almost ended up in fave recommendations, as Paul Motian's is one of my favourite bodies of work in jazz. But this isn't my fave recommendation from my favourite drummer of all time, so it's here instead.

• Nik Baertsch Mobile - Continuum

Acoustic stylee Nik Baertsch band and just as good as Ronin (his lecky band). 
  • Vandermark 5 - The Color of Memory

Only one live track from this studio album on YT.

It's energy jazz from Chicago, where multireedist Ken Vandermark forms bands like the rest of us - insert your own simile.
  • Medeski, Martin & Wood - Combustication

• edited May 2017
    uglymusic said:
    Vandermark 5 - The Color of Memory

Only one live track from this studio album on YT.

It's energy jazz from Chicago, where multireedist Ken Vandermark forms bands like the rest of us - insert your own simile.
    And if you liked that, I discovered that the whole gig appears to be on YT, too.

I'm playing it now, as I finish off the day's work, and it's very good IMHO.

Ugly Rating 8/10, at least :-)
  • Medeski, Martin & Wood - Combustication

Nice moves. :-)
  • edited May 2017
    Don't get to many gigs. But I was at this one (or at least one of the 3 over that weekend).
    I was chuffed that Shane Meadows chose this "Fools Gold" performance as the one from that set to put in his film about The Stone Roses and their fans. At the gig, it was one of those "Shit. this is good" moments.
  • Docfoster said:
    Don't get to many gigs. But I was at this one (or at least one of the 3 over that weekend).
    I was chuffed that Shane Meadows chose this "Fools Gold" performance as the one from that set to put in his film about The Stone Roses and their fans. At the gig, it was one of those "Shit. this is good" moments.
    I enjoyed that!
  • Temple of The Dog - Same

RIP Chris Cornell.
  • Alice Coltrane - Turiya and Ramakrishna

• More Alice Coltrane

• Alice Coltrane and Joe Henderson - Earth

Joe Henderson - tenor sax, flute, alto flute Alice Coltrane - piano, harp, Tambura, harmonium Charlie Haden - bass Leon "Ndugu" Chancler - drums (1, 4) Kenneth Nash - narrator (4), flute (3), congas, North African Sakara Drum, bells, gong, percussion Baba Duru Oshun - percussion, Tabla Michael White - violin
  • uglymusic said:
    Temple of The Dog - Same

RIP Chris Cornell.
    Gets the official cj stamp of approval ;)
  • cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:
    Temple of The Dog - Same

RIP Chris Cornell.
    Gets the official cj stamp of approval ;)
    I'll be able to get on with my life, then :-D
  • Don't you be lettin' i'all go t'yer head naow.
    8-X
  • cj66 said:
    Don't you be lettin' i'all go t'yer head naow. 8-X
    No. But it did get me playing the Superunknown 20th Anniversary Edition ;-)
  • Marvin Hannibal Peterson - The Angels of Atlanta

I thought I'd repurpose this beautiful piece written in response to the loss of some 20 children in Altlanta, Georgia, to the events in Manchester last night. 

• Bob Dylan "The Times They are a Changin'"

What a great song.
    Exilerates me to think that my son will soon be singing it to me. :-)
  • uglymusic said:
    Alice Coltrane and Joe Henderson - Earth

Joe Henderson - tenor sax, flute, alto flute Alice Coltrane - piano, harp, Tambura, harmonium Charlie Haden - bass Leon "Ndugu" Chancler - drums (1, 4) Kenneth Nash - narrator (4), flute (3), congas, North African Sakara Drum, bells, gong, percussion Baba Duru Oshun - percussion, Tabla Michael White - violin
    I managed to grab a new CD last week; it arrived yesterday. And I'm just having my first playing. So far, I really like Joe Henderson as an avant garde hippy. I think this is going to be played a lot over the coming weeks. 
  • Beck "Odelay"

• Black Grape "Dadi Was a Badi"

• edited May 2017
    Beastie Boys (feat' Santigold) "Don't Play no Game that I Can't Win"

• Spacemonkeyz v Gorillaz "54"

• The KLF "Last Train to Trancentral"

• Fun Lovin' Criminals "Scooby Snacks"

• Goldfrapp "Ooh La La"

• Docfoster said:
    Black Grape "Dadi Was a Badi"

Oh yes! I haven't heard this since it was current, I don't think I even have a copy :-O

I recall their first was more successful and better reviewed but I prefered this, a little less rebelious but more musically accomplished.

Rubber Band is worth mentioning.
  • Snoop Dogg "Who Am I (What's my Name)?"

• The Wiseguys "Re-Introduction"