Funny felt

edited April 2017 in Loudspeakers
Have been experimenting with felt sheets on the front of my Magisters over the past couple of days. The huge area around the mid and upper drivers got me thinking about some anti-diffraction thingies I used on some speakers yonks ago.
The felt I'm using is just normal thin craft felt, but the effect is significant. And, especially around the tweeter, tiny adjustments to the size and shape of the aperture make big differences to the sound.
Interesting and good fun... :-)

Comments

• Nice one Ben! They were called Diffraction-begone. I still have some that were cut for RR3 somewhere, and a plain set too. Very much thicker wool if I remember though.

Nice Maggies! Didn't know you had them, the bass is quite lovely isn't it?
  • edited May 2017
    Alan said:

Nice one Ben! They were called Diffraction-begone. I still have some that were cut for RR3 somewhere, and a plain set too. Very much thicker wool if I remember though.

Yes. You're quite right. :-)
    I had some "diffraction begones" for a pair of Dynaudio floorstanders a while back. They're what inspired me to try the felt thing on the huge expanse of area on the front of the maggies.
    I think the felt has made some difference to imaging and to the midrange coarseness.
    And you're certainly right the diffraction-begone jobbies were a good deal thicker. More akin to compressed-wool carpet underlay iirc. I have some plans is to experiment a bit with thicker materials when I get the chance.